Continuing the Hammersmith walk.
(Remember – all photos will open in a separate window and all photos are geotagged)
Girls Entrance Gate, Old School Building, St Dunstan’s Road, Hammersmith
Boys Entrance Gate, Old School Building, St Dunstan’s Road, Hammersmith
Residential Block, Gliddon Road, Hammersmith
Beryl Road, Hammersmith
Residential, Margravine Gardens, Hammersmith
59 & 61 Margravine Gardens, Hammersmith
Barons Court Railway Station, Margravine Gardens, Hammersmith
St Paul’s Studios, Talgarth Road, Hammersmith
Rik Mayall Memorial Bench, Hammersmith Bridge Road, Hammersmith
St Paul’s Hammersmith, Queen Caroline Street, Hammersmith
The original church dated to 1629 but in 1880 a decision was made to rebuild it to allow it to a growing congregation and update its appearance. A significant portion of its land and graveyard were reclaimed in 1957 to build Great West Road and the Hammersmith Flyover.
Old Drinking Fountain, Hammersmith Bridge Road, Hammersmith
Digby Mansions, Hammersmith Bridge Road, Hammersmith
Jetty, River Thames, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Entrance, Kent House, 10 Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Built in 1762, was first known as the Mansion House and was the home of the Hammersmith Working Men’s Club for the next 150 years. It became a boys’ school in the early C19th because it was felt its airy spaciousness was well adapted for the accommodation of young gentlemen. The house was owned by the Hammersmith Club Society for many years, whose members enjoyed its elegant interior, including ballroom, theatre and snooker hall.
It is now the premises of the Hammersmith Club, with half of the building available as a private hire venue, and the rest available to the traditional members.
Furnivall Sculling Club, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Furnivall Sculling Club was founded as Hammersmith Sculling Club in 1896 by Dr Frederick James Furnivall, and it was originally a club for women only. It opened its doors to men in 1901.
River Moorings, River Thames, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Waterman’s Cottage, No. 20 Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Floating Debris, River Thames, Hammersmith, London, England UK
Westcott Lodge, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
A Georgian building c.1746 and originally built as Turret House in the late-C17th and was once the official vicarage for the incumbent of St Paul’s Church.
Furnival Gardens, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Furnivall Gardens was created in 1936 after clearance of the old Hammersmith Creek and its cluster of industry and commerce.
Hammersmith Creek was a spur from the Stamford Brook and once linked the Thames to King Street. The only evidence of this once thriving waterway is an outlet in the river wall, towards the upstream end of Furnivall Gardens – named after Dr Frederick Furnivall who founded the sculling club for women on Lower Mall.
In about 1780, Joseph Cromwell founded the Hammersmith Brewery alongside The Creek near King Street. The western side became monopolised with malt houses, built to serve the brewery, and the area became increasingly populated. The Creek was a magnet for traders and watermen of all professions. The waterway, navigable by barge, was crossed by the High Bridge, rebuilt in the early C18th, and also known as Bishop’s Bridge. This feature is still marked by a raised hump in the gardens and a flowerbed.
The only other remaining connection with the Creek is the Friends’ Memorial Garden, on the site of an old Friends’ Meeting House. The Quaker movement had gained popularity in Hammersmith and established its Meeting House close to the Creek in the late C17th. Both the Meeting House and the Caretaker’s Cottage were late C18th. They were bombed during the last war and in 1955 were rebuilt on the north side of the Great West Road. The little garden surrounded by a low wall remains historically important to the movement and marks its old burial ground which, in line with Friends’ traditions, never featured memorial stones.
Entrance, Beach House, 7 Lower Mall, Hammersmith
An old property dating to 1734 was demolished to make way for this property in 1811. This property (No.7) and No. 6 were recorded in 1865 as beonging to Rev. Peter King-Salter.
Garden Gate, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Statue, Lancelot Capability Brown, Thames Path, Hammersmith
The Hammersmith Society
Lancelot Capability Brown
Father of the English Landscape Garden
Lived by the river in Hammersmith 1751-1764
Sculptor: Laury Dizengremel
“Figurehead”, Thames Path, Hammersmith, London, England UK
Harrods Furniture Depository, Barnes
Built on the site of an old soap factory in 1894 to store items too large for their Knightsbridge store is now a residential estate consisting of 250 townhouses and penthouse suites known as “Harrods Village”.
Properties in the “Village” don’t come cheap with many in excess of £1 million. The pentouse sold for £6,500,000 in 2010.
Entrance, Brandenburgh House, 116 Fulham Palace Road, Hammersmith
Brandenburgh House was built in the Arts and Crafts style in 1905 by Henry Saxon Snell as a nurses’ home for Fulham Infirmary.
Road Name Sign, Manbre Road, Hammersmith
King George V Postbox, Margravine Road, Hammersmith
King George V – reigned 1910-1936
Entrance, 51 Winslow Road, Hammersmith
62 & 64 St Dunstan’s Road, Hammersmith
After returning from Italy, I spent the last couple of days wandering about Hammersmith in London.
Entrance Gates & West Lodge, Margravine Cemetery, Margravine Road, Hammersmith, London, England UK
Opened in 1868 on a site previously occupied by market gardens and orchards, known as Fulham Fields. The first burial took place on 3 November 1869 and closed for new burials in 1951.
The cemetery grounds are also the location of a War Memorial.
Lyons and Company First World War Memorial, Margravine Cemetery, Margravine Road, Hammersmith
Memorial, George Thomas Brown & Amelia Brown, Margravine Cemetery
Memorial, John Francis Taylor Ware, “Little John” – Margravine Cemetery
Died 11 December 1904 – Aged 6.
Memorial, George Robert Broad & Caroline Broad, Margravine Cemetery
In Memory, Abraham George Smith, Margravine Cemetery
In Memory, James Frederick Fletcher, Margravine Cemetery
Memorial Wall, Margravine Cemetery
Inscribed: Those Honoured Here Dies in the Service of Their Country and Lie Buried Elsewhere in this Cemetery
A Child’s Grave, Margravine Cemetery
In Loving Memory of George J Dyett Jan 5, 1882 Aged 5 months also his Father William Dyett 7 Jan 1904
The Parker Family, Margravine Cemetery
Squirrels, Margravine Cemetery
Cemetery Grounds, Margravine Cemetery
Chapel, Margravine Cemetery
Hammersmith Bridge, River Thames, Hammersmith
This is the second Hammersmith Bridge, built on the pillars of the first which had opened in 1828.
At the turn of the 19th century Hammersmith was still a hamlet of Fulham. To cross the river you had to use the ferry service at either Chiswick Mall or at Ferry Lane in Barnes. A bridge to cross the river at Hammersmith had been mooted for many years and, once an approach road on the Surrey side had been established, the Hammersmith Bridge Company was formed and a brief for an iron bridge was drawn up.
The brief was fulfilled by William Tierney Clark in 1824 when he designed a “bridge of suspension with a view to the strictest economy”. Clark was a respected engineer, apprenticed at one time to Thomas Telford. He designed part of the West Middlesex Waterworks nearby, where he lived and worked as chief engineer.
He was appointed to work as consulting engineer on the bridge, and there is a fine memorial to him on the North Wall of St Paul’s Church, Hammersmith, depicting the original bridge. The foundation stone was laid on 7th May, 1825, by the Duke of Sussex (Not Harry!) and it was opened in October 1827 to a fanfare of fireworks and music. The Bridge was a wonder of its time, an impressive feat of engineering and described as ‘as handsome as it was useful’. It had two large York stone arches and graceful white chains and ironwork. At each end were a pair of toll houses, painted white and manned by liveried toll men managing the passage of people and livestock.
It was a huge success and justly received much admiration, but it was not terribly practical. The walkways ended at the arches so that pedestrians had to join the busy carriageway, and it was also rather narrow. The Toll was scrapped in 1880 and the huge increase in traffic put a strain on the already inadequate structure. It was decided to re-build the bridge rather than repair it and so the bridge was replaced.
Sir Joseph Bazalgette was Chief Engineer to the Metropolitan Board of Works from 1858-1889, during which time he designed new bridges at Hammersmith, Putney and Battersea, oversaw the construction of the Thames Embankment and built 83 miles of intercepting sewers throughout London. In 1877 he began to question the safety of the original Hammersmith Bridge and recommended that urgent repairs take place. After 1880, when the toll was scrapped and traffic increased, the repairs became even more urgent. In fact in November 1881, Police Constable Bullock was leaving the footway to pass through the tower arch on the Barnes side and he fell through a hole in the footway into the river!
After a full assessment it was decided to re-build the bridge and a design by Bazalgette was approved. Traffic was diverted onto a temporary wooden bridge in 1885 and works began. The new bridge was opened by Prince Albert Victor of Wales in June, 1887. However, it was built on the same piers as the previous bridge and is therefore of the same narrow dimensions and unsuitable for heavy loads. Inevitably, and again, this bridge too has proved insufficient to cope with modern traffic; a weight and width restriction has been imposed. Nevertheless, the bridge is an attractive feature in the river landscape, traditionally painted green and gold with colourful coats of arms.
There was an attempt to destroy it by the IRA in March 1939, mainly averted by the quick thinking of a pedestrian who threw the bomb, in a case, into the river where it exploded, damaging one of the pillars, and more recently in 2000. The bridge has had to be closed to traffic for structural repairs, which creates a backwater from what are generally very busy approach roads. It is currently closed to all traffic both motorised and pedestrian and it is expected to take another six years to effect repairs. (Announced Mar 2021)
The Blue Anchor, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Originally titled the Blew Anchor, this is one of the area’s oldest pubs, licensed in 1722 but probably on the site for many years before. It was a popular watering hole of watermen.
The Old City Arms, 107 Hammersmith Bridge Road, Hammersmith, est: 1827
Rutland Arms, 15 Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Built in 1849 and lost its top floor and balcony during the German bombing of London during “The Blitz”.
Lower Mall, Hammersmith
The Pear Tree, Margravine Road, Hammersmith
Chiesa Parrocchiale di Santa Maria della Carità, Via San Felice, Bologna
Inscription, San Nicolò di San Felice, Via San Felice, Bologna
San Nicolò di San Felice is a deconsecrated Roman Catholic church located on via San Felice 41 in Bologna, region of Emilia Romagna, Italy. Bombardment during World War two caused sufficient damage to close the brick walled structure with a front portico.
A church at the site is documented since the 12th-century, when it was located outside the city walls.
INSIGNE REDEMPTIONIS HUMANAE VEXILLUM
A BONONIENSIBUS CIVIBUS
VIX NASCENTE ECCLESIA
IN SUSCEPTAE FIDEI ARGUMENTUM
INDE SAEPIUS INIURIA TEMPORUM COLLAPSAM
ITERUMQUE PRISTINO LOCO RESTITUTAM
ALPHONSO PALEOTTO ARCHIEPI(SCOPO) BONONIEN(SI)
SUB INITIUM SUPERIORIS SECULI (!)
IN VIAE HUIUS MEDIO
SUPER PONTEM QUO FIRMIUS SUBSISTERET
VERUM PONTE PRO AMPLIANDA VIA DESTRUCTO
HIERONYMO GRIMALDO S(ANCTAE) R(OMANAE) E(CCLESIAE) CARDINALI
TIT(ULO) SANCTAE BALBINAE
PROSPER LAMBERTINUS S(ANCTAE) R(OMANAE) E(CCLESIAE) CARDINALIS
TIT(ULO) SANCTAE CRUCIS IN IERUSALEM
SACRI ROMANI IMPERII PRINCEPS
AEMULA MAIORUM SUORUM PIETATE
SUB HAC PORTICU SACRAE HUIUS AEDIS PARIETI
ATQUE SOLEMNI RITU BENEDIXIT
OMNIBUSQUE CORAM IPSA DEVOTE ORANTIBUS
ET PRO PATRIAE INCOLUMITATE
VOTA SUA OMNIPOTENTI DEO NUNCUPANTIBUS
CENTUM DIERUM INDULGENTIAM BENIGNE CONCESSIT
“This cross, an extraordinary sign of human redemption, erected by the citizens of Bologna when the church was just being born in defense of the embraced faith, then very often ruined by the ravages of time and each time restored in its original place, Vespasiano Grimaldi, when it was Archbishop of Bologna Alfonso Paleotti, at the beginning of the last century, placed it in the middle of this street above the bridge, so that it could resist more firmly.
However, this bridge having been destroyed to widen the road, when Girolamo Grimaldi, cardinal of the Holy Roman Church with the title of Santa Balbina, Prospero Lambertini, cardinal of the Holy Roman Church with the title of Santa Croce in Gerusalemme, Bologna, prince of the Holy Roman Empire, took care that the same cross was affixed under this portico on the wall of this sacred building and blessed it with a solemn rite and graciously granted one hundred days of indulgence to all those who prayed devoutly in front of it and who formulated their vows to Almighty God for the salvation of the country.
Year 1732 “.
Entrance, Palazzo Buriani, Via San Felice, Bologna
Basilica di San Francesco, Piazza Malpighi, Bologna
In the foreground is one of the Tombe dei Glossatori – Historical tombs dedicated to the first university teachers.
Coat of Arms, Via Rizzoli, Bologna
Towers of Basilica di San Francesco & Colonna dell’Immacolata, Piazza Malpighi, Bologna
Chiesa del Santissimo Salvatore, Via Cesare Battisti & Via VI Novembre, Bologna
Wrought Iron Guard, Via Porta Nova, Bologna
Statue of San Domenico, Cnr Via Porta Nova & Via Cesare Battisti, Bologna
Saint Dominic, also known as Dominic of Osma and Dominic of Caleruega, often called Dominic de Guzmán and Domingo Félix de Guzmán; 8 August 1170 – 6 August 1221), was a Castilian Catholic priest and founder of the Dominican Order. Dominic is the patron saint of astronomers.
The “canopy” above the statue is referred to as a “baldachin” or “baldaquin”.
Entrance to Residential Block, Via Cesare Battisti, Bologna
Entrance, Palazzo del Governo, Piazza Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Bologna
Colonnade, Palazzo del Governo, Piazza Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Bologna
Colonnade, Prefettura di Bologna, Piazza Galileo Galilei, Bologna
Artwork in the Colonnade, Prefettura di Bologna, Piazza Galileo Galilei, Bologna
Santuario di Santa Maria della Vita, Via Clavature, Bologna
Salumeria Simoni, Via Drapperie, Bologna
Quadrilatero Fiorito, 6 Via Drapperie, Bologna
Carving, Doorway, 5 Via Drapperie, Bologna
Flags, Cnr Via Drapperie & Via Pescherie Vecchie, Bologna
Memorial, P Marella Padre dei Poveri, Cnr Via Caprarie & Via Drapperie, Bologna
Stone Carving, Cnr Via Caprarie & Via Drapperie, Bologna
Basilica Santi Bartolomeo e Gaetano, Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
Enjoy a Beer, Caffé Maxim, Piazza della Mercanzia, Bologna
Along the Colonnade, Via Rizzoli, Bologna
Along the Colonnade, Piazza della Mercanzia, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
Strada Maggiore, Bologna
It is the only Bolognese street to have preserved the urban designation of “strada” (from the Latin sternere : “pavement”), dating back to Roman times and confirmed by the Napoleonic reform of 1801
Roadside View, A1-Autostrada del Sole, Roncobilaccio, Baragazza
From the Breakfast Table, Hotel San Donato, Palazzo Malvasia, Via Zamboni, Bologna
Our Hire Car, Courtyard, Hotel San Donato (Palazzo Malvasia), Bologna
Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
Piazza Maggiore, Bologna
Piazza Re Enzo, Bologna
Palazzo del Podestà, Piazza Re Enzo, Bologna
Piazza della Mercanzia, Bologna
View Along Via Rizzoli, Bologna
Via De’ Giudei, Bologna
LaFeltrinelli Librerie, Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
Doorway, 1 Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
“Spiritus Intus Alit”, Basilica Santi Bartolomeo e Gaetano, Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
(Main doorway and bas relief each side)
The Latin Inscription “Spiritus Intus Alit” Translates as- “Spirit within sustains”
Basilica Santi Bartolomeo e Gaetano, Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
Carabinieri Cars, Via San Vitale, Bologna
Statue Of San Petronius, Piazza Di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
Saint Petronius was bishop of Bologna during the fifth century. He is a patron saint of the city. Born of a noble Roman family, he became a convert to Christianity and subsequently a priest. As bishop of Bologna, he built the Church of Santo Stefano.
Medieval Building, Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
Le Due Torri: Garisenda e degli Asinelli, Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
Coat of Arms, Via Rizzoli, Bologna
Biblioteca Salaborsa, Piazza del Nettuno, Bologna
Gated Entrance, Palazzo Re Enzo, Piazza del Nettuno, Bologna
Ornate Street Lamp. Piazza del Nettuno, Bologna
Fontana Vecchia, Via Ugo Bassi, Bologna
By Sicilian Artist Tommaso Laureti 1565
Entrance, Cattedrale Metropolitana di San Pietro, Via dell’Indipendenza, Bologna
Staircase, Via dell’Indipendenza, Bologna
“Libertas”, Cnr Via Ghirlanda & Via Ugo Bassi, Bologna
(This sits above what is now a menswear shop)
Banco di Roma Clock, Via Ugo Bassi, Bologna
Hotel Carosello (B&B), 26 Via San Felice, Bologna
Arcade, 48 Via San Felice, Bologna
Doorway, Chiesa Parrocchiale di Santa Maria della Carità, Via San Felice, Bologna
Porta San Felice, Piazza di Porta San Felice, Bologna
Porta San Felice was the westernmost gate or portal of the former outer medieval walls of the city of Bologna, Italy. The gate was erected in the 13th century, and rebuilt in 1334 with a machiocolated tower and drawbridge. It was restored in 1508, and again in 1805 when Napoleon visited the city. In 1840, the flanking walls were torn down. A barracks and tax house for collecting duties was in the past found astride the entrance.
Doorway, 137 Via San Felice, Bologna
Door Furniture, 121 Via San Felice, Bologna