Continuing the Hammersmith walk.
(Remember – all photos will open in a separate window and all photos are geotagged)
Girls Entrance Gate, Old School Building, St Dunstan’s Road, Hammersmith
Boys Entrance Gate, Old School Building, St Dunstan’s Road, Hammersmith
Residential Block, Gliddon Road, Hammersmith
Beryl Road, Hammersmith
Residential, Margravine Gardens, Hammersmith
59 & 61 Margravine Gardens, Hammersmith
Barons Court Railway Station, Margravine Gardens, Hammersmith
St Paul’s Studios, Talgarth Road, Hammersmith
Rik Mayall Memorial Bench, Hammersmith Bridge Road, Hammersmith
St Paul’s Hammersmith, Queen Caroline Street, Hammersmith
The original church dated to 1629 but in 1880 a decision was made to rebuild it to allow it to a growing congregation and update its appearance. A significant portion of its land and graveyard were reclaimed in 1957 to build Great West Road and the Hammersmith Flyover.
Old Drinking Fountain, Hammersmith Bridge Road, Hammersmith
Digby Mansions, Hammersmith Bridge Road, Hammersmith
Jetty, River Thames, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Entrance, Kent House, 10 Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Built in 1762, was first known as the Mansion House and was the home of the Hammersmith Working Men’s Club for the next 150 years. It became a boys’ school in the early C19th because it was felt its airy spaciousness was well adapted for the accommodation of young gentlemen. The house was owned by the Hammersmith Club Society for many years, whose members enjoyed its elegant interior, including ballroom, theatre and snooker hall.
It is now the premises of the Hammersmith Club, with half of the building available as a private hire venue, and the rest available to the traditional members.
Furnivall Sculling Club, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Furnivall Sculling Club was founded as Hammersmith Sculling Club in 1896 by Dr Frederick James Furnivall, and it was originally a club for women only. It opened its doors to men in 1901.
River Moorings, River Thames, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Waterman’s Cottage, No. 20 Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Floating Debris, River Thames, Hammersmith, London, England UK
Westcott Lodge, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
A Georgian building c.1746 and originally built as Turret House in the late-C17th and was once the official vicarage for the incumbent of St Paul’s Church.
Furnival Gardens, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Furnivall Gardens was created in 1936 after clearance of the old Hammersmith Creek and its cluster of industry and commerce.
Hammersmith Creek was a spur from the Stamford Brook and once linked the Thames to King Street. The only evidence of this once thriving waterway is an outlet in the river wall, towards the upstream end of Furnivall Gardens – named after Dr Frederick Furnivall who founded the sculling club for women on Lower Mall.
In about 1780, Joseph Cromwell founded the Hammersmith Brewery alongside The Creek near King Street. The western side became monopolised with malt houses, built to serve the brewery, and the area became increasingly populated. The Creek was a magnet for traders and watermen of all professions. The waterway, navigable by barge, was crossed by the High Bridge, rebuilt in the early C18th, and also known as Bishop’s Bridge. This feature is still marked by a raised hump in the gardens and a flowerbed.
The only other remaining connection with the Creek is the Friends’ Memorial Garden, on the site of an old Friends’ Meeting House. The Quaker movement had gained popularity in Hammersmith and established its Meeting House close to the Creek in the late C17th. Both the Meeting House and the Caretaker’s Cottage were late C18th. They were bombed during the last war and in 1955 were rebuilt on the north side of the Great West Road. The little garden surrounded by a low wall remains historically important to the movement and marks its old burial ground which, in line with Friends’ traditions, never featured memorial stones.
Entrance, Beach House, 7 Lower Mall, Hammersmith
An old property dating to 1734 was demolished to make way for this property in 1811. This property (No.7) and No. 6 were recorded in 1865 as beonging to Rev. Peter King-Salter.
Garden Gate, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Statue, Lancelot Capability Brown, Thames Path, Hammersmith
The Hammersmith Society
Lancelot Capability Brown
Father of the English Landscape Garden
Lived by the river in Hammersmith 1751-1764
Sculptor: Laury Dizengremel
“Figurehead”, Thames Path, Hammersmith, London, England UK
Harrods Furniture Depository, Barnes
Built on the site of an old soap factory in 1894 to store items too large for their Knightsbridge store is now a residential estate consisting of 250 townhouses and penthouse suites known as “Harrods Village”.
Properties in the “Village” don’t come cheap with many in excess of £1 million. The pentouse sold for £6,500,000 in 2010.
Entrance, Brandenburgh House, 116 Fulham Palace Road, Hammersmith
Brandenburgh House was built in the Arts and Crafts style in 1905 by Henry Saxon Snell as a nurses’ home for Fulham Infirmary.
Road Name Sign, Manbre Road, Hammersmith
King George V Postbox, Margravine Road, Hammersmith
King George V – reigned 1910-1936
Entrance, 51 Winslow Road, Hammersmith
62 & 64 St Dunstan’s Road, Hammersmith