Being so close, we decided a days outing to visit the small country of San Marino was on the cards. Having a hire car in areas like this is a blessing as there is much to see along the way from Bologna and return.
San Marino is a mountainous microstate surrounded by north-central Italy and is among the world’s oldest republics, it retains much of its historic architecture. Situated on the slopes of Monte Titano is the capital, also called San Marino. A wonderful city known for its medieval walled old town and narrow cobblestone streets. The Three Towers, castle like citadels dating to the 11th century, sit on the neighbouring peaks.
Monte Titano San Remo from Via Santa Aquilina, Cerasolo, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Panoramic Views taken from Various Places within Città di San Marino, San Marino
Water Fountain, Via Piana, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Stone Clock Faces, Via Piana, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Statue, Melchiorre Delfico, Viale Antonio Onofri, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Italian Economist 1744 – 1835
filosofo e storico
della liberta’ perpetva
il senato e il popolo
“For the Peace”, Campo Bruno Reffi, Città di San Marino, San Marino
PER LA PACE
Repubblica di San Marino 1983-1682 d.F.R.
giornata dedicata dalla
commissione Nazionale Sammarinese
Cavallo Rampante (Horse Rampant), Piazzale Stazione, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Piazzale Stazione, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Monument to San Francesco, Chiesa di San Quirino, Viale Federico D’urbino, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Guaita Fortress, Monte Titano, Città di San Marino, San Marino
The Guaita fortress is the oldest of the three towers constructed on Monte Titano, and the most famous. It was built in the 11th century and served briefly as a prison. It is one of the three towers depicted on both the national flag and coat of arms. It was registered as one of the World Heritage Sites in 2008. Guaita is one of three peaks which overlooks the city of San Marino.
Observation Area, Salita Alla Rocca, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Studded Doors, Salita Alla Rocca, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Chapel Walls, Cappella Di Santa Barbara, Salita Alla Rocca, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Ristorante Pizzeria Nido del Falco, Contrada Fossi, Città di San Marino, Sab Marino
Bar Pattinaggio, Campo Bruno Reffi, Città di San Marino, San Marino
City Gateway, Via Salita Alla Rocca, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Entrance, Ristorante La Fratta, Via Salita Alla Rocca, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Doorway, Università degli Studi della Repubblica di San Marino, Salita Alla Rocca, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Ambasciata d’Italia, Viale Antonio Onofri, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Armoured Vehicles, Museo del Aviazione, Via Santa Aquilina, Cerasolo, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
It’s been a while since the last post so here’s the continuation of Bologna.
Rooftop View from the Dining Room of Hotel San Donato, Via Zamboni, Bologna
Basilica di San Petronio, Piazza Maggiore, Bologna
Construction began in 1390 and its main facade has remained unfinished since. The building was transferred from the city to the diocese in 1929; the basilica was finally consecrated in 1954.
Alfresco Area, L’Asporto, Via Guglielmo Oberdan, Bologna
Doorway, 2 Via San Nicolò, Bologna
Doorway, 15 Via Altabella, Bologna
Fontana del Nettuno (Fountain of Neptune), Piazza Pettuno, Bologna
The construction of the fountain was commissioned by the Cardinal Legate Charles Borromeo, to symbolize the fortunate recent election of Borromeo’s uncle as Pope Pius IV. To clear space for the fountain, an entire edifice had to be demolished.
The design and assembly of the fountain was completed by the Palermitan architect Tommaso Laureti in 1563. The fountain was completed in 1565. The over-life-size bronze figure of the god Neptune was completed and fixed in place around 1566.
Palazzo del Podestà, Piazza Maggiore, Bologna
Portico, Via Zamboni, Bologna
Reminders of the Past, Arcidiocese di Bologna, Via Altabella, Bologna
Torre Prendiparte (also called Torre Coronata), Piazzetta Prendiparte, Via Sant’Alò, Bologna
This tower built in the 12th century and standing 61 metres tall, today has a slight incline to the north. The tower was part of the so-called triad of medieval skyscrapers together with those of the Galluzzi and the Azzoguidi . It was sold for the first time in 1293 for 500 lire.
Stone Carving, Via Rizzolo, Bologna
Pope Gregory XIII, Palazzo d’Accursio, Piazza Maggiore, Bologna
The current building is the result of the fusion of three palaces, with the oldest dating to the 12th century: the casa-torre (house-tower), well visible as it is the part of the building with the clock tower. Originally, this was the house of the jurist Accursio (hence the name given to the building, which is also known as Palazzo Comunale), an eminent professor of law at the Studium, the University of Bologna.
Accursio sold the palace to the city in 1287, and, in the 13th century, the building became known as Palazzo delle Biade because it was used as the municipal storage of grains.
In 1336, it became the seat of the Anziani (“Elders”), the highest magistrates of the city (Comune). Thirty years later, the papal legate – the representative of the pope in town – gave the building its fortified look, with walls, merlons and towers (perhaps because papal power had always been seen with suspicion by the Bolognesi).
In 1425, the building was further expanded to house the apartments of the Papal Legate.
L’Amor Patrio e il Valore Militare, Palazzo d’Accursio, Piazza Maggiore, Bologna
These bronze statues by Giuseppe Romagnoli “L’Amor Patrio e il Valore Militare” were returned to the facade of Palazzo d’Accursio after 75 years together with the plaque dedicated to King Umberto I. Originally placed in 1909 at the main entrance of the Palazzo d’Accursio, was removed and partially destroyed in 1943 by order of the Italian Social Republic, with the intention of erasing any memory of the ruling house.
Le due Torri: Garisenda e degli Asinelli, Bologna
TORRE DEGLI ASINELLI
The Tower was built between 1109 and 1119 by the family bearing the same name and was handed over to the Municipality as early as the following century. 498 internal steps lead to the top at a height of 97.02 metres.
Torre Garisenda, built at the same time, is different due to its shorter height of 47 metres. It is known for its steep overhang due to a subsidence of the land and the foundations, so much so that Dante featured it in Canto XXXI of the Inferno. It was lowered for fear of it collapsing during the 14th century.
Via Zamboni, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Torre degli Azzoguidi (also called Torre Altabella) , Via Altabella, Bologna
Built in the 12th century the tower is one of twenty “noble towers” that still exist in Bologna. It stands at 61 metres tall and is the second tallest in Bologna.
Vicolo Tubertini (Alley), Via Guglielmo Oberdan, Bologna
Gateway, L’Antico Ghetto Ebraico (Old Jewish Ghetto), Via Guglielmo Oberdan, Bologna
Gateway, Piazzetta Prendiparte, Bologna
Galleria Giovanni Acquademi, Via Rizzoli, Bologna
Doorway, Studio Notarile Demaio, Via Albiroli, 1, Bologna
Entrance, Torre degli Azzoguidi (also called Torre Altabella) , Via Altabella, Bologna
Entrance, Torre Guidozagni, Via Albiroli, Bologna