Home » Travel
Category Archives: Travel
Still in the Cotswolds just driving around.
Built in 1853 it became a school in 1928.
By Brook also known as Bybrook River Is 12 mile long tributary of the Bristol Avon.
While driving around by myself, I stumbled into an absolutely stunning little village. The village boast 91 Listed buildings with several valued in the millions of pounds.
Elm Lodge, The Green is a 5 bedroom freehold detached house – it is ranked as the 2nd most expensive property in the village, with a valuation of £2,439,000.
The pub is a Grade II listed building dating from the 1700s
A grade II listed building dated 1730.
The Close, The Green, Biddestone, Chippenham, Wiltshire, England UK
A Grade II Listed Building dating from the 1700s and largely reconstructed in 1924.
Elm Farm House, The Green, Biddestone, Chippenham, Wiltshire, England UK
A Grade II listed building – Farmhouse, now two houses, late C17 and early C18, much rebuilt c1975.
Church. c880 AD, possibly then cathedral, reputed to be on site of a Roman temple, and incorporating much Roman masonry and brickwork. C11, C12, C16, altered 1829-30,1875-6 and 1888-9, restored 1904-5.
The carving of the name is still visible in the stonework
The Little House
Both are Grade II Listed Buildings
Grade II Listed Building from late 17th / early 18th century.
A Grade II Listed Building early 18th century
A Grade II Listed Building early 18th century that was a malthouse in the 19th century
While in the magnificent Cotswolds, I paid a visit to the old Roman town of Cirencester.
Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen is a noted interior designer and British TV personality
The church is a Grade I Listed Building and originates from the 12th century
Just one of many, many pubs that has closed since COVID!
This has been a pub since at least the 1850s and has stories of haunting.
Built in the early 2nd Century, was one of the largest Roman amphitheatres in Britain.
From London we headed to The Cotswolds where we spend a few days.
Built in 1655 and is a Grade 1 Listed Building.
16th-century manor house, built for a gentleman farmer, became a hotel in the 1970s.
Now Tetbury Council Offices and Police Museum – built 1884-1885
Sadly this pub is now permanently closed.
Lunch at the wonderfully historic Waggon & Horses Pub in Marlborough then a visit to the Avebury Henge and Stone Circles (See previous post)
Originally a 17th-century house, two storeys in stone with a thatched roof, is now the Waggon and Horses pub; additions in the late 19th century and early 20th are described as picturesque by Historic England.
On our way to the Cotswolds, we passed the famous neolithic sites of Silbury Hill and the Avebury Henge and Stone Circles
Composed mainly of chalk and clay excavated from the surrounding area, the mound stands 40 metres (131 ft) high and covers about 2 hectares (5 acres). The hill was constructed in several stages between c.2400–2300 BC and displays immense technical skill and prolonged control over labour and resources. Archaeologists calculate that it took 18 million person-hours, equivalent to 500 people working for 15 years to deposit and shape 248,000 cubic metres (324,000 cu yd) of earth and fill. Euan Mackie, a British archaeologist and anthropologist, asserts that no simple late Neolithic tribal structure as usually imagined could have sustained this and similar projects, and envisages an authoritarian theocratic power elite with broad-ranging control across southern Britain.
Avebury Henge & Stone Circles, Avebury, Marlborough, Wiltshire, England UK
Built and much altered during the Neolithic period, roughly between 2850 BC and 2200 BC, the henge survives as a huge circular bank and ditch, encircling an area that includes part of Avebury village. Within the henge is the largest stone circle in Britain – originally of about 100 stones – which in turn encloses two smaller stone circles.
Avebury is part of an extraordinary set of Neolithic and Bronze Age ceremonial sites that seemingly formed a vast sacred landscape. They include West Kennet Avenue, West Kennet Long Barrow, The Sanctuary, Windmill Hill, and the mysterious Silbury Hill.
Signs and Posters of some of the many pubs and bars seen during the drive around UK. Sadly, I did not get experience the atmosphere in each and every one.
Not a pub but a great hanging sign…
Prior to 1828, the pub was known as the ‘Black Boy’. Though still referred to by its traditional name, it was officially altered to the ‘King’s Arms’ and, later, the ‘Fleur de Lys’, until a change of ownership led to the restoration of the old name and the creation of the “Black Boy Inn” as it is today. The Inn signs each show a ‘black buoy’ on one side and a ‘black boy’ on the other.
The Inn’s name has caused controversy and there are at least three theories to explain its name. One is believed to come from a ‘black buoy’ which existed in the harbour in the early days of the Inn. Another refers to the nickname given to Charles II by his mother Henrietta Maria of France because of the darkness of his skin and eyes, as well as the fact that Royalists met at the Inn secretly at that time. Later, the place became the local fishermen’s favourite drinking place and the name of ‘black boy’ may come from this period.
In Caernarfon’s heyday as a port-town, Northgate Street – on which the Black Boy Inn is situated – was the heart of the red-light district. Northgate Street’s Welsh name Stryd Pedwar a Chwech translates to “Four [shillings] and Six [pence] Street”: what the sailors are reputed to have paid for a room, a bottle of gin, and the services of a woman for the night.
The ‘North Gate’ archway found at the end of Northgate Street was added in or about the 1820s. It was designed to help facilitate the flow of traffic in and out of the old town, and is not part of the original town wall design. Prior to the ‘North Gate’ archway, a census carried out in 1794 revealed this street was commonly referred to as ‘Black Boy’ street. The earliest reference to the “Black Boy” can be found in Caernarfon’s archives dated 1717, a Deed of Sale of a house in “Street Y Black Boy” between Thomas Wynne, Glynllifon and a Henry Robyns.
The ghost of a nun is said to pass through the inn on her way to a nunnery that was once situated at the rear.
The pub is a listed building.
Stryd Pedwar a Chwech is Welsh for Fourth & Sixth Street
Y Goron is Welsh for The Crown
Tŷ Dre is Welsh for Town House – Our accommodation for a couple of days in Caernarfon
Y Twll yn y Wal is Welsh for The Hole in The Wall
Tafarn Y Porth is Welsh for Porth Pub
Tafarn Lleiaf Cymru – The Smallest Pub in Wales
Built in 1657 the pub is reputed to be the oldest building in town. We spent a few days here.
We stayed here for a few days in Haydon Bridge
This is where we stayed for a few days in South Queensferry – right beneath the famous Firth of Forth Rail Bridge
Our pub stay while in Bath
HAMPTON COURT PALACE
Our first day in England and we re-visited Hampton Court Palace having previously done so on our first UK visit in 2013.
Hampton Court Palace is a Grade I listed royal palace in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, 12 miles (19 kilometres) south-west and upstream of central London on the River Thames.
The building of the palace began in 1514 for Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, the chief minister of Henry VIII. In 1529, as Wolsey fell from favour, the cardinal gave the palace to the king to check his disgrace. The palace went on to become one of Henry’s most favoured residences; soon after acquiring the property, he arranged for it to be enlarged so it could accommodate his sizeable retinue of courtiers. The palace is in the possession of King Charles III and the Crown.
A decorative feature but it has flooded in years gone by depending on weather.
Hammerbeam Ceiling, The Great Hall, Hampton Court Palace, Molesey, London, England UK
The clock was installed in 1540 on the gatehouse to the inner court at Hampton Court Palace. This pre-Copernican and pre-Galilean astronomical clock is still functioning.
The Great Vine, Vitis vinifera ‘Schiava Grossa’ (synonym: Black Hamburg), is now 250 years old and is the largest grape vine in the world. It was planted in 1768 while Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown was in charge of the gardens at Hampton Court.
The final images from Tarragona and the last of our stay in Spain. Next stop – UK!
Entrance, Marriott Hotel, Avinguda de Roma, Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain
Street View, Avinguda de Roma, Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain
a.k.a. Tower of The Monks
Steps below Torre de les Monges, Rambla Vella, Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain
The Circ Romà is where horse and chariot races were held. It had capacity for 20,000 people. It was built during the reign of Emperor Domitian (81–96 AD) and remained in operation until the 9th century AD. Today it is classified as a World Heritge Site.
Ruins, Circ Romà, Rambla Vella, Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain
Sculpture in the Wall, Circ Romà, Rambla Vella, Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain
Tunnels, Circ Romà, Rambla Vella, Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain
Torre del Pretori, Castell del Rei, Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain
a.k.a. – Castle of The King. The Romanesque castle was largely the result of the rehabilitation of a large Roman building that had been part of the provincial forum in the 12th century.
Bricked In, Parròquia de la Santíssima Trinitat, Carrer de Santa Anna, Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain
Doorway, Museu Nacional Arqueològic, Plaza del Rei, Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain
View to Plaza del Rei from Torre del Pretori o Castell del Rei, Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain
Catedral Basílica Metropolitana i Primada de Santa Tecla de Tarragona, Plaza de la Seu, Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain
Amfiteatre de Tarragona, Carrer de William J Bryan, Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain
The 2nd image was photographed from the top of The King’s Castle, a building traditionally known as the Roman pretories of Augustus or Pilate Tower. The amphitheatre is a World Heritage site constructed in the 2nd century. It could hold up to 15,000 spectators for Roman events.
Plaque, Subdelegación de Defensa en Tarragona, Rambla Vella, Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain
Department of Defense
Monument a Jacint Verdaguer, Plaça de Mossèn Cinto Verdaguer, Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain
After the Alhambra, we travelled to Ronda to see its famous bridge over the gorge created by the Guadalevín River before heading back towards Barcelona.
Tourist Carriages, Paseo de Blas Infante, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
Tajo de Ronda, Paseo de Kazunori Yamahuchi, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
Monumento al Toro de lidia, Plaza Teniente Arce, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
Alfresco Dining, Calle José Aparicio, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
Monument to Antonio de los Rios Rosas, Plaza de España, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
Plaza de España, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
Hotel Parador de Ronda, Plaza de España, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
Puente Nuevo from Paseo de Kazunori Yamahuchi, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
Rio Guadalevin Gorge, Puente Nuevo, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
Stone Seat, Puente Nuevo, Ronda, Málaga, Aldalusia, Spain
Puento Nuevo Roadway, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
Tajo de Ronda, Puente Nuevo, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
De los Viajeros Romanticos (Of the Romantic Travelers), Information Board, Paseo de Kazunori Yamahuchi, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
Tajo de Ronda, Paseo de Kazunori Yamahuchi, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
Street Sign, Paseo de Kazunori Yamahuchi, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
Museo Lara, Calle Armiñán, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
The museum houses a private collection of historic weapons, clocks, scientific instruments & witchcraft-related items.
Calle González Campos, Ronda, Andalusia, Spain
Alminar de San Sebastián (Minaret of San Sebastian), Plaza Abul Beka, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
Callejón de los Tramposos (Cheats Alley), Calle Armiñán, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
Iglesia de Santa María la Mayor, Plaza Duquesa de Parcent, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
14th century mosque converted to a Catholic church in the 20th century.
Fuente de agua (Duquesa de Parcent), Water Fountain of the Parcent Duchess), Plaza duquesa de Parcent, Ronda, Málaga, Andalusia, Spain
Artwork, Avenida Primero de Julio, Valdepeñas, Ciudad Real, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
Everything on Tap, Avenida Primero de Julio, Valdepeñas, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
You just never know when you will need a sex toy at 3:00 AM. It’s good to know there’s an outlet open.
Statue “Don Quixote”, Avenida Primero de Julio, Valdepeñas, Ciudad Real, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
Iglesia parroquial la Asunción de Nuestra Señora, Plaza de España, Valdepeñas, Ciudad Real, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
Rooftops, Valdepeñas, Cuidad Real, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain