Continuing the Hammersmith walk.
(Remember – all photos will open in a separate window and all photos are geotagged)
Girls Entrance Gate, Old School Building, St Dunstan’s Road, Hammersmith
Boys Entrance Gate, Old School Building, St Dunstan’s Road, Hammersmith
Residential Block, Gliddon Road, Hammersmith
Beryl Road, Hammersmith
Residential, Margravine Gardens, Hammersmith
59 & 61 Margravine Gardens, Hammersmith
Barons Court Railway Station, Margravine Gardens, Hammersmith
St Paul’s Studios, Talgarth Road, Hammersmith
Rik Mayall Memorial Bench, Hammersmith Bridge Road, Hammersmith
St Paul’s Hammersmith, Queen Caroline Street, Hammersmith
The original church dated to 1629 but in 1880 a decision was made to rebuild it to allow it to a growing congregation and update its appearance. A significant portion of its land and graveyard were reclaimed in 1957 to build Great West Road and the Hammersmith Flyover.
Old Drinking Fountain, Hammersmith Bridge Road, Hammersmith
Digby Mansions, Hammersmith Bridge Road, Hammersmith
Jetty, River Thames, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Entrance, Kent House, 10 Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Built in 1762, was first known as the Mansion House and was the home of the Hammersmith Working Men’s Club for the next 150 years. It became a boys’ school in the early C19th because it was felt its airy spaciousness was well adapted for the accommodation of young gentlemen. The house was owned by the Hammersmith Club Society for many years, whose members enjoyed its elegant interior, including ballroom, theatre and snooker hall.
It is now the premises of the Hammersmith Club, with half of the building available as a private hire venue, and the rest available to the traditional members.
Furnivall Sculling Club, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Furnivall Sculling Club was founded as Hammersmith Sculling Club in 1896 by Dr Frederick James Furnivall, and it was originally a club for women only. It opened its doors to men in 1901.
River Moorings, River Thames, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Waterman’s Cottage, No. 20 Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Floating Debris, River Thames, Hammersmith, London, England UK
Westcott Lodge, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
A Georgian building c.1746 and originally built as Turret House in the late-C17th and was once the official vicarage for the incumbent of St Paul’s Church.
Furnival Gardens, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Furnivall Gardens was created in 1936 after clearance of the old Hammersmith Creek and its cluster of industry and commerce.
Hammersmith Creek was a spur from the Stamford Brook and once linked the Thames to King Street. The only evidence of this once thriving waterway is an outlet in the river wall, towards the upstream end of Furnivall Gardens – named after Dr Frederick Furnivall who founded the sculling club for women on Lower Mall.
In about 1780, Joseph Cromwell founded the Hammersmith Brewery alongside The Creek near King Street. The western side became monopolised with malt houses, built to serve the brewery, and the area became increasingly populated. The Creek was a magnet for traders and watermen of all professions. The waterway, navigable by barge, was crossed by the High Bridge, rebuilt in the early C18th, and also known as Bishop’s Bridge. This feature is still marked by a raised hump in the gardens and a flowerbed.
The only other remaining connection with the Creek is the Friends’ Memorial Garden, on the site of an old Friends’ Meeting House. The Quaker movement had gained popularity in Hammersmith and established its Meeting House close to the Creek in the late C17th. Both the Meeting House and the Caretaker’s Cottage were late C18th. They were bombed during the last war and in 1955 were rebuilt on the north side of the Great West Road. The little garden surrounded by a low wall remains historically important to the movement and marks its old burial ground which, in line with Friends’ traditions, never featured memorial stones.
Entrance, Beach House, 7 Lower Mall, Hammersmith
An old property dating to 1734 was demolished to make way for this property in 1811. This property (No.7) and No. 6 were recorded in 1865 as beonging to Rev. Peter King-Salter.
Garden Gate, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Statue, Lancelot Capability Brown, Thames Path, Hammersmith
The Hammersmith Society
Lancelot Capability Brown
Father of the English Landscape Garden
Lived by the river in Hammersmith 1751-1764
Sculptor: Laury Dizengremel
“Figurehead”, Thames Path, Hammersmith, London, England UK
Harrods Furniture Depository, Barnes
Built on the site of an old soap factory in 1894 to store items too large for their Knightsbridge store is now a residential estate consisting of 250 townhouses and penthouse suites known as “Harrods Village”.
Properties in the “Village” don’t come cheap with many in excess of £1 million. The pentouse sold for £6,500,000 in 2010.
Entrance, Brandenburgh House, 116 Fulham Palace Road, Hammersmith
Brandenburgh House was built in the Arts and Crafts style in 1905 by Henry Saxon Snell as a nurses’ home for Fulham Infirmary.
Road Name Sign, Manbre Road, Hammersmith
King George V Postbox, Margravine Road, Hammersmith
King George V – reigned 1910-1936
Entrance, 51 Winslow Road, Hammersmith
62 & 64 St Dunstan’s Road, Hammersmith
After returning from Italy, I spent the last couple of days wandering about Hammersmith in London.
Entrance Gates & West Lodge, Margravine Cemetery, Margravine Road, Hammersmith, London, England UK
Opened in 1868 on a site previously occupied by market gardens and orchards, known as Fulham Fields. The first burial took place on 3 November 1869 and closed for new burials in 1951.
The cemetery grounds are also the location of a War Memorial.
Lyons and Company First World War Memorial, Margravine Cemetery, Margravine Road, Hammersmith
Memorial, George Thomas Brown & Amelia Brown, Margravine Cemetery
Memorial, John Francis Taylor Ware, “Little John” – Margravine Cemetery
Died 11 December 1904 – Aged 6.
Memorial, George Robert Broad & Caroline Broad, Margravine Cemetery
In Memory, Abraham George Smith, Margravine Cemetery
In Memory, James Frederick Fletcher, Margravine Cemetery
Memorial Wall, Margravine Cemetery
Inscribed: Those Honoured Here Dies in the Service of Their Country and Lie Buried Elsewhere in this Cemetery
A Child’s Grave, Margravine Cemetery
In Loving Memory of George J Dyett Jan 5, 1882 Aged 5 months also his Father William Dyett 7 Jan 1904
The Parker Family, Margravine Cemetery
Squirrels, Margravine Cemetery
Cemetery Grounds, Margravine Cemetery
Chapel, Margravine Cemetery
Hammersmith Bridge, River Thames, Hammersmith
This is the second Hammersmith Bridge, built on the pillars of the first which had opened in 1828.
At the turn of the 19th century Hammersmith was still a hamlet of Fulham. To cross the river you had to use the ferry service at either Chiswick Mall or at Ferry Lane in Barnes. A bridge to cross the river at Hammersmith had been mooted for many years and, once an approach road on the Surrey side had been established, the Hammersmith Bridge Company was formed and a brief for an iron bridge was drawn up.
The brief was fulfilled by William Tierney Clark in 1824 when he designed a “bridge of suspension with a view to the strictest economy”. Clark was a respected engineer, apprenticed at one time to Thomas Telford. He designed part of the West Middlesex Waterworks nearby, where he lived and worked as chief engineer.
He was appointed to work as consulting engineer on the bridge, and there is a fine memorial to him on the North Wall of St Paul’s Church, Hammersmith, depicting the original bridge. The foundation stone was laid on 7th May, 1825, by the Duke of Sussex (Not Harry!) and it was opened in October 1827 to a fanfare of fireworks and music. The Bridge was a wonder of its time, an impressive feat of engineering and described as ‘as handsome as it was useful’. It had two large York stone arches and graceful white chains and ironwork. At each end were a pair of toll houses, painted white and manned by liveried toll men managing the passage of people and livestock.
It was a huge success and justly received much admiration, but it was not terribly practical. The walkways ended at the arches so that pedestrians had to join the busy carriageway, and it was also rather narrow. The Toll was scrapped in 1880 and the huge increase in traffic put a strain on the already inadequate structure. It was decided to re-build the bridge rather than repair it and so the bridge was replaced.
Sir Joseph Bazalgette was Chief Engineer to the Metropolitan Board of Works from 1858-1889, during which time he designed new bridges at Hammersmith, Putney and Battersea, oversaw the construction of the Thames Embankment and built 83 miles of intercepting sewers throughout London. In 1877 he began to question the safety of the original Hammersmith Bridge and recommended that urgent repairs take place. After 1880, when the toll was scrapped and traffic increased, the repairs became even more urgent. In fact in November 1881, Police Constable Bullock was leaving the footway to pass through the tower arch on the Barnes side and he fell through a hole in the footway into the river!
After a full assessment it was decided to re-build the bridge and a design by Bazalgette was approved. Traffic was diverted onto a temporary wooden bridge in 1885 and works began. The new bridge was opened by Prince Albert Victor of Wales in June, 1887. However, it was built on the same piers as the previous bridge and is therefore of the same narrow dimensions and unsuitable for heavy loads. Inevitably, and again, this bridge too has proved insufficient to cope with modern traffic; a weight and width restriction has been imposed. Nevertheless, the bridge is an attractive feature in the river landscape, traditionally painted green and gold with colourful coats of arms.
There was an attempt to destroy it by the IRA in March 1939, mainly averted by the quick thinking of a pedestrian who threw the bomb, in a case, into the river where it exploded, damaging one of the pillars, and more recently in 2000. The bridge has had to be closed to traffic for structural repairs, which creates a backwater from what are generally very busy approach roads. It is currently closed to all traffic both motorised and pedestrian and it is expected to take another six years to effect repairs. (Announced Mar 2021)
The Blue Anchor, Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Originally titled the Blew Anchor, this is one of the area’s oldest pubs, licensed in 1722 but probably on the site for many years before. It was a popular watering hole of watermen.
The Old City Arms, 107 Hammersmith Bridge Road, Hammersmith, est: 1827
Rutland Arms, 15 Lower Mall, Hammersmith
Built in 1849 and lost its top floor and balcony during the German bombing of London during “The Blitz”.
Lower Mall, Hammersmith
The Pear Tree, Margravine Road, Hammersmith
Chiesa Parrocchiale di Santa Maria della Carità, Via San Felice, Bologna
Inscription, San Nicolò di San Felice, Via San Felice, Bologna
San Nicolò di San Felice is a deconsecrated Roman Catholic church located on via San Felice 41 in Bologna, region of Emilia Romagna, Italy. Bombardment during World War two caused sufficient damage to close the brick walled structure with a front portico.
A church at the site is documented since the 12th-century, when it was located outside the city walls.
INSIGNE REDEMPTIONIS HUMANAE VEXILLUM
A BONONIENSIBUS CIVIBUS
VIX NASCENTE ECCLESIA
IN SUSCEPTAE FIDEI ARGUMENTUM
INDE SAEPIUS INIURIA TEMPORUM COLLAPSAM
ITERUMQUE PRISTINO LOCO RESTITUTAM
ALPHONSO PALEOTTO ARCHIEPI(SCOPO) BONONIEN(SI)
SUB INITIUM SUPERIORIS SECULI (!)
IN VIAE HUIUS MEDIO
SUPER PONTEM QUO FIRMIUS SUBSISTERET
VERUM PONTE PRO AMPLIANDA VIA DESTRUCTO
HIERONYMO GRIMALDO S(ANCTAE) R(OMANAE) E(CCLESIAE) CARDINALI
TIT(ULO) SANCTAE BALBINAE
PROSPER LAMBERTINUS S(ANCTAE) R(OMANAE) E(CCLESIAE) CARDINALIS
TIT(ULO) SANCTAE CRUCIS IN IERUSALEM
SACRI ROMANI IMPERII PRINCEPS
AEMULA MAIORUM SUORUM PIETATE
SUB HAC PORTICU SACRAE HUIUS AEDIS PARIETI
ATQUE SOLEMNI RITU BENEDIXIT
OMNIBUSQUE CORAM IPSA DEVOTE ORANTIBUS
ET PRO PATRIAE INCOLUMITATE
VOTA SUA OMNIPOTENTI DEO NUNCUPANTIBUS
CENTUM DIERUM INDULGENTIAM BENIGNE CONCESSIT
“This cross, an extraordinary sign of human redemption, erected by the citizens of Bologna when the church was just being born in defense of the embraced faith, then very often ruined by the ravages of time and each time restored in its original place, Vespasiano Grimaldi, when it was Archbishop of Bologna Alfonso Paleotti, at the beginning of the last century, placed it in the middle of this street above the bridge, so that it could resist more firmly.
However, this bridge having been destroyed to widen the road, when Girolamo Grimaldi, cardinal of the Holy Roman Church with the title of Santa Balbina, Prospero Lambertini, cardinal of the Holy Roman Church with the title of Santa Croce in Gerusalemme, Bologna, prince of the Holy Roman Empire, took care that the same cross was affixed under this portico on the wall of this sacred building and blessed it with a solemn rite and graciously granted one hundred days of indulgence to all those who prayed devoutly in front of it and who formulated their vows to Almighty God for the salvation of the country.
Year 1732 “.
Entrance, Palazzo Buriani, Via San Felice, Bologna
Basilica di San Francesco, Piazza Malpighi, Bologna
In the foreground is one of the Tombe dei Glossatori – Historical tombs dedicated to the first university teachers.
Coat of Arms, Via Rizzoli, Bologna
Towers of Basilica di San Francesco & Colonna dell’Immacolata, Piazza Malpighi, Bologna
Chiesa del Santissimo Salvatore, Via Cesare Battisti & Via VI Novembre, Bologna
Wrought Iron Guard, Via Porta Nova, Bologna
Statue of San Domenico, Cnr Via Porta Nova & Via Cesare Battisti, Bologna
Saint Dominic, also known as Dominic of Osma and Dominic of Caleruega, often called Dominic de Guzmán and Domingo Félix de Guzmán; 8 August 1170 – 6 August 1221), was a Castilian Catholic priest and founder of the Dominican Order. Dominic is the patron saint of astronomers.
The “canopy” above the statue is referred to as a “baldachin” or “baldaquin”.
Entrance to Residential Block, Via Cesare Battisti, Bologna
Entrance, Palazzo del Governo, Piazza Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Bologna
Colonnade, Palazzo del Governo, Piazza Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Bologna
Colonnade, Prefettura di Bologna, Piazza Galileo Galilei, Bologna
Artwork in the Colonnade, Prefettura di Bologna, Piazza Galileo Galilei, Bologna
Santuario di Santa Maria della Vita, Via Clavature, Bologna
Salumeria Simoni, Via Drapperie, Bologna
Quadrilatero Fiorito, 6 Via Drapperie, Bologna
Carving, Doorway, 5 Via Drapperie, Bologna
Flags, Cnr Via Drapperie & Via Pescherie Vecchie, Bologna
Memorial, P Marella Padre dei Poveri, Cnr Via Caprarie & Via Drapperie, Bologna
Stone Carving, Cnr Via Caprarie & Via Drapperie, Bologna
Basilica Santi Bartolomeo e Gaetano, Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
Enjoy a Beer, Caffé Maxim, Piazza della Mercanzia, Bologna
Along the Colonnade, Via Rizzoli, Bologna
Along the Colonnade, Piazza della Mercanzia, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
Strada Maggiore, Bologna
It is the only Bolognese street to have preserved the urban designation of “strada” (from the Latin sternere : “pavement”), dating back to Roman times and confirmed by the Napoleonic reform of 1801
Roadside View, A1-Autostrada del Sole, Roncobilaccio, Baragazza
From the Breakfast Table, Hotel San Donato, Palazzo Malvasia, Via Zamboni, Bologna
Our Hire Car, Courtyard, Hotel San Donato (Palazzo Malvasia), Bologna
Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
Piazza Maggiore, Bologna
Piazza Re Enzo, Bologna
Palazzo del Podestà, Piazza Re Enzo, Bologna
Piazza della Mercanzia, Bologna
View Along Via Rizzoli, Bologna
Via De’ Giudei, Bologna
LaFeltrinelli Librerie, Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
Doorway, 1 Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
“Spiritus Intus Alit”, Basilica Santi Bartolomeo e Gaetano, Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
(Main doorway and bas relief each side)
The Latin Inscription “Spiritus Intus Alit” Translates as- “Spirit within sustains”
Basilica Santi Bartolomeo e Gaetano, Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
Carabinieri Cars, Via San Vitale, Bologna
Statue Of San Petronius, Piazza Di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
Saint Petronius was bishop of Bologna during the fifth century. He is a patron saint of the city. Born of a noble Roman family, he became a convert to Christianity and subsequently a priest. As bishop of Bologna, he built the Church of Santo Stefano.
Medieval Building, Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
Le Due Torri: Garisenda e degli Asinelli, Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, Bologna
Coat of Arms, Via Rizzoli, Bologna
Biblioteca Salaborsa, Piazza del Nettuno, Bologna
Gated Entrance, Palazzo Re Enzo, Piazza del Nettuno, Bologna
Ornate Street Lamp. Piazza del Nettuno, Bologna
Fontana Vecchia, Via Ugo Bassi, Bologna
By Sicilian Artist Tommaso Laureti 1565
Entrance, Cattedrale Metropolitana di San Pietro, Via dell’Indipendenza, Bologna
Staircase, Via dell’Indipendenza, Bologna
“Libertas”, Cnr Via Ghirlanda & Via Ugo Bassi, Bologna
(This sits above what is now a menswear shop)
Banco di Roma Clock, Via Ugo Bassi, Bologna
Hotel Carosello (B&B), 26 Via San Felice, Bologna
Arcade, 48 Via San Felice, Bologna
Doorway, Chiesa Parrocchiale di Santa Maria della Carità, Via San Felice, Bologna
Porta San Felice, Piazza di Porta San Felice, Bologna
Porta San Felice was the westernmost gate or portal of the former outer medieval walls of the city of Bologna, Italy. The gate was erected in the 13th century, and rebuilt in 1334 with a machiocolated tower and drawbridge. It was restored in 1508, and again in 1805 when Napoleon visited the city. In 1840, the flanking walls were torn down. A barracks and tax house for collecting duties was in the past found astride the entrance.
Doorway, 137 Via San Felice, Bologna
Door Furniture, 121 Via San Felice, Bologna
Being so close, we decided a days outing to visit the small country of San Marino was on the cards. Having a hire car in areas like this is a blessing as there is much to see along the way from Bologna and return.
San Marino is a mountainous microstate surrounded by north-central Italy and is among the world’s oldest republics, it retains much of its historic architecture. Situated on the slopes of Monte Titano is the capital, also called San Marino. A wonderful city known for its medieval walled old town and narrow cobblestone streets. The Three Towers, castle like citadels dating to the 11th century, sit on the neighbouring peaks.
Monte Titano San Remo from Via Santa Aquilina, Cerasolo, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Panoramic Views taken from Various Places within Città di San Marino, San Marino
Water Fountain, Via Piana, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Stone Clock Faces, Via Piana, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Statue, Melchiorre Delfico, Viale Antonio Onofri, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Italian Economist 1744 – 1835
filosofo e storico
della liberta’ perpetva
il senato e il popolo
“For the Peace”, Campo Bruno Reffi, Città di San Marino, San Marino
PER LA PACE
Repubblica di San Marino 1983-1682 d.F.R.
giornata dedicata dalla
commissione Nazionale Sammarinese
Cavallo Rampante (Horse Rampant), Piazzale Stazione, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Piazzale Stazione, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Monument to San Francesco, Chiesa di San Quirino, Viale Federico D’urbino, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Guaita Fortress, Monte Titano, Città di San Marino, San Marino
The Guaita fortress is the oldest of the three towers constructed on Monte Titano, and the most famous. It was built in the 11th century and served briefly as a prison. It is one of the three towers depicted on both the national flag and coat of arms. It was registered as one of the World Heritage Sites in 2008. Guaita is one of three peaks which overlooks the city of San Marino.
Observation Area, Salita Alla Rocca, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Studded Doors, Salita Alla Rocca, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Chapel Walls, Cappella Di Santa Barbara, Salita Alla Rocca, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Ristorante Pizzeria Nido del Falco, Contrada Fossi, Città di San Marino, Sab Marino
Bar Pattinaggio, Campo Bruno Reffi, Città di San Marino, San Marino
City Gateway, Via Salita Alla Rocca, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Entrance, Ristorante La Fratta, Via Salita Alla Rocca, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Doorway, Università degli Studi della Repubblica di San Marino, Salita Alla Rocca, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Ambasciata d’Italia, Viale Antonio Onofri, Città di San Marino, San Marino
Armoured Vehicles, Museo del Aviazione, Via Santa Aquilina, Cerasolo, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
It’s been a while since the last post so here’s the continuation of Bologna.
Rooftop View from the Dining Room of Hotel San Donato, Via Zamboni, Bologna
Basilica di San Petronio, Piazza Maggiore, Bologna
Construction began in 1390 and its main facade has remained unfinished since. The building was transferred from the city to the diocese in 1929; the basilica was finally consecrated in 1954.
Alfresco Area, L’Asporto, Via Guglielmo Oberdan, Bologna
Doorway, 2 Via San Nicolò, Bologna
Doorway, 15 Via Altabella, Bologna
Fontana del Nettuno (Fountain of Neptune), Piazza Pettuno, Bologna
The construction of the fountain was commissioned by the Cardinal Legate Charles Borromeo, to symbolize the fortunate recent election of Borromeo’s uncle as Pope Pius IV. To clear space for the fountain, an entire edifice had to be demolished.
The design and assembly of the fountain was completed by the Palermitan architect Tommaso Laureti in 1563. The fountain was completed in 1565. The over-life-size bronze figure of the god Neptune was completed and fixed in place around 1566.
Palazzo del Podestà, Piazza Maggiore, Bologna
Portico, Via Zamboni, Bologna
Reminders of the Past, Arcidiocese di Bologna, Via Altabella, Bologna
Torre Prendiparte (also called Torre Coronata), Piazzetta Prendiparte, Via Sant’Alò, Bologna
This tower built in the 12th century and standing 61 metres tall, today has a slight incline to the north. The tower was part of the so-called triad of medieval skyscrapers together with those of the Galluzzi and the Azzoguidi . It was sold for the first time in 1293 for 500 lire.
Stone Carving, Via Rizzolo, Bologna
Pope Gregory XIII, Palazzo d’Accursio, Piazza Maggiore, Bologna
The current building is the result of the fusion of three palaces, with the oldest dating to the 12th century: the casa-torre (house-tower), well visible as it is the part of the building with the clock tower. Originally, this was the house of the jurist Accursio (hence the name given to the building, which is also known as Palazzo Comunale), an eminent professor of law at the Studium, the University of Bologna.
Accursio sold the palace to the city in 1287, and, in the 13th century, the building became known as Palazzo delle Biade because it was used as the municipal storage of grains.
In 1336, it became the seat of the Anziani (“Elders”), the highest magistrates of the city (Comune). Thirty years later, the papal legate – the representative of the pope in town – gave the building its fortified look, with walls, merlons and towers (perhaps because papal power had always been seen with suspicion by the Bolognesi).
In 1425, the building was further expanded to house the apartments of the Papal Legate.
L’Amor Patrio e il Valore Militare, Palazzo d’Accursio, Piazza Maggiore, Bologna
These bronze statues by Giuseppe Romagnoli “L’Amor Patrio e il Valore Militare” were returned to the facade of Palazzo d’Accursio after 75 years together with the plaque dedicated to King Umberto I. Originally placed in 1909 at the main entrance of the Palazzo d’Accursio, was removed and partially destroyed in 1943 by order of the Italian Social Republic, with the intention of erasing any memory of the ruling house.
Le due Torri: Garisenda e degli Asinelli, Bologna
TORRE DEGLI ASINELLI
The Tower was built between 1109 and 1119 by the family bearing the same name and was handed over to the Municipality as early as the following century. 498 internal steps lead to the top at a height of 97.02 metres.
Torre Garisenda, built at the same time, is different due to its shorter height of 47 metres. It is known for its steep overhang due to a subsidence of the land and the foundations, so much so that Dante featured it in Canto XXXI of the Inferno. It was lowered for fear of it collapsing during the 14th century.
Via Zamboni, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Torre degli Azzoguidi (also called Torre Altabella) , Via Altabella, Bologna
Built in the 12th century the tower is one of twenty “noble towers” that still exist in Bologna. It stands at 61 metres tall and is the second tallest in Bologna.
Vicolo Tubertini (Alley), Via Guglielmo Oberdan, Bologna
Gateway, L’Antico Ghetto Ebraico (Old Jewish Ghetto), Via Guglielmo Oberdan, Bologna
Gateway, Piazzetta Prendiparte, Bologna
Galleria Giovanni Acquademi, Via Rizzoli, Bologna
Doorway, Studio Notarile Demaio, Via Albiroli, 1, Bologna
Entrance, Torre degli Azzoguidi (also called Torre Altabella) , Via Altabella, Bologna
Entrance, Torre Guidozagni, Via Albiroli, Bologna
Door, Via Zamboni, 57, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Door, Via Zamboni, 59, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Collezione di Mineralogia, Via Zamboni, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Door, Museo di Mineralogia L Bombicci, Via Zamboni, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Door, Museo di Mineralogia L Bombicci, Via Zamboni, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Convento Padri Agostiniani, Via Zamboni, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Convent of the Augustinian Fathers – Basilica of San Giacomo Maggiore
Basilica of San Giacomo Maggiore, Piazza Gioacchino Rossini, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Chiesa di San Donato, Piazzetta Achille Ardigò, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Arcade, L’Accademia di Letteratura, Via Zamboni, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Entrance, Lifebrain Laboratorio Analisi, Via Zamboni, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Bricked Wall Niche, Via Zamboni, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Old Doors, Via del Carro, 2, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Doors, Via Zamboni, 6, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Passageway, Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, 1, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Entrance Doors, Camera di Commercio Industria Artigianato e Agricoltura di Bologna, Palazzo della Mercanzia, Piazza della Mercanzia, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Gated Passage, Via Castiglione, 1, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Window Grille With Shields, Via Castiglione, 2, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Entrance, Palazzo Pepoli Vecchio, Via Castiglione, 8, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
A medieval palace now home to the Museo della Storia di Bologna – Museum of the History of Bologna.
Traffic Jam, Via Clavature, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
It’s very easy to get yourself into a situation such as this when trying to navigate these historic places.
Santuario di Santa Maria della Vita, Via Clavature, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
13th Century origins as church and a hospital. Current construction dates to 1687.
Trattoria da Gianni, Via Clavature, 18, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Narrow Street, Via de’ Musei, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Piazza Maggiore, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Archway, Via Zamboni, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Via Zamboni, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Doorway, Città Metropolitana di Bologna, Palazzo Malvezzi, Via Zamboni, 13, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Basilica di San Giacomo Maggiore, Piazza Gioacchino Rossini, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna. Italy
Construction of this historic church began in 1267 and was completed in 1315. It was consecrated in 1344.
Piazza Giuseppe Verdi, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Oratorio di Santa Cecilia, Piazza Giuseppe Verdi, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Doorway, Palazzo Gotti, Via Zamboni, 34, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Doorway, Palazzo Riario, Via Zamboni, 38, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Porta San Donato, Piazza Di Porta San Donato, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Porta San Donato, also known as Porta Zamboni, was a gate or portal of the former outer medieval walls of the city of Bologna, Italy. It was a gate into the University area of the City.
The gate was built in the 13th-century, and by 1354 was equipped with a drawbridge. It was sealed in 1428, but reopened in the following decades.
Bollard, Via Castiglione, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna. Italy
Old Stone Steps, Via de’ Musei, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Wall Shrine, Back Streets, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
We hired a car from Florence for a drive to Bologna and what a trip. Magnificent.
Italian Countryside Panorama, Tuscany, Italy
Country Villas, Via Bolognese, Querceto, Tuscany, Italy
Castello di Villanova, Via Nazionale, Barberino di Mugello, Tuscany, Italy
Rural Ruins, Via Nazionale, Cafaggiolo, Tuscany, Italy
Misty Panorama, Via Nazionale, Cafaggiolo, Tuscany, Italy
“Warning”, Via Nazionale, Cafaggiolo, Tuscany, Italy
Panoramas, Futa Pass, Via Traversa Futa, Tuscan-Emilian Apennines, Tuscany, Italy
Ristorante Passo della Futa dal 1890, Futa Pass, Via Traversa Futa, Tuscan-Emilian Apennines, Tuscany, Italy
Panorama, Via Pietramala, Pietramala, Tuscany, Italy
Waterfall, Via Idice, Monterenzio, Tuscany, Italy
Building Ruin, Via Idice, Monterenzio, Tuscany, Italy
Hotel San Donato (Palazzo Malvasia), Piazzetta Achille Ardigò, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
[Our place of residence in Bologna]
The hotel is in an old but fully renovated Italian Palazzo – Palazzo Malvasia which dates to the 13th century.
The Two Towers, Via San Vitale, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
There are two towers and are commonly referred to as “Two Towers”. They date to the 13th century and are located at the intersection of the roads that lead to the five gates of the old ring wall (mura dei torresotti). It was located at the site of the early medieval Gate to the Via Emilia, the Porta Ravennate, now remembered by the name of the adjacent Piazza di Porta Ravegnana. The taller tower is called the Asinelli while the smaller but more leaning tower is called the Garisenda.
Church & Clock Tower, Via San Vitale, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Galleria del Leone, Piazza della Mercanzia, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Palazzo della Mercanzia, Piazza della Mercanzia, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Ferro da Facciata, Via Castiglione, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
A ferro (plural ferri) or ferro da facciata is an item of functional wrought-iron work on the façade of an Italian building. Ferri are a common feature of Medieval and Renaissance architecture in Lazio, Tuscany and Umbria. They are of three main types: ferri da cavallo have a ring for tethering horses, and are set at about 1.5 metres from the ground; holders for standards and torches are placed higher on the façade and on the corners of the building; arpioni have a cup-shaped hook or hooks to support cloth for shade or to be dried, and are set near balconies.
In Florence, ferri da cavallo and arpioni were often made to resemble the head of a lion, the symbolic marzocco of the Republic of Florence. Later, cats, dragons, horses and fantastic animals were also represented.
Iron Bracket, Via Castiglione, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Stairway Passage, Palazzo Pepoli Vecchio, Via Castiglione, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Vintage Street Lamp, Piazza del Francia, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Stone Carved, Piazza del Francia, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Via de Pepoli, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy