MOVING ONWARDS

After leaving Holy Island, we are heading towards Banbury with just a couple of stops on the way. A quick stop for coffee in Alnwick, Northumberland, a visit to the famous Fountains Abbey (next post) and a night at the Station Hotel in Birstwith, North Yorkshire.

Entrance to Greenwell Lane, Bondgate Within, Alnwick, Northumberland, England UK


The George, 63 Bondgate Within, Alnwick, Northumberland, England UK


Robertson’s Fountain, Cobbles, Bondgate Within, Alnwick, Northumberland, England UK

Minor Image 1     <><><><>     Minor Image 2


Pauperhaugh Bridge, River Coquet, Pauperhaugh, Longframlington, Northumberland, England UK

This is an old bridge built by the Duke of Northumberland and then adopted by the County in 1888. With its five stone arches is one of the most attractive on the Coquet and is a Grade II Listed Building.

During the months of October and November when the Coquet is in full spate,  the salmon and sea trout leaping onto the stone apron and swimming with grim deternination upstream to their spawning beds can be witnessed.


Sheep, River Coquet, Pauperhaugh, Longframlington, Northumberland, England UK


River Coquet, Pauperhaugh, Longframlington, Northumberland, England UK


Church of St Mary, Studley Royal, Chair Walk, Ripon, North Yorkshire, England UK

The Church of St Mary, Studley Royal, is a Victorian Gothic Revival church built in the Early English style. It is located in the grounds of Studley Royal Park at Fountains Abbey, in North Yorkshire, England. It was commissioned by the 1st Marquess of Ripon as a memorial church to Frederick Grantham Vyner, his brother-in-law. It is one of two such churches, the other being the Church of Christ the Consoler at Skelton-on-Ure.

Frederick Vyner had been murdered by Greek bandits in 1870 in an event known as the Dilessi massacre. A significant ransom had been demanded, and in part collected, before his death. His mother, Lady Mary Vyner, and his sister, Lady Ripon, used the unspent ransom to build the two churches in his memory.


Pheasant, Fountains Abbey Grounds, Ripon, North Yorkshire, England UK


Majestic Tree, Fountains Abbey Grounds, Ripon, North Yorkshire, England UK


The Bar, The Station Hotel, Birstwith, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England UK


First View of The Abbey, Fountains Abbey, Ripon, North Yorkshire, England UK


BAMBURGH CASTLE

Whilst staying on Holy Island, it was a short drive down the coast to the village of Bamburgh where we were able to visit the historic castle.

Bamburgh Castle, is on the northeast coast of England, by the village of Bamburgh in Northumberland and is a Grade I listed building.

The site was originally the location of a Celtic Brittonic fort known as Din Guarie and may have been the capital of the kingdom of Bernicia from its foundation c. 420 to 547. In that last year, it was captured by King Ida of Bernicia. After passing between the Britons and the Anglo-Saxons three times, the fort came under Anglo-Saxon control in 590. The fort was destroyed by Vikings in 993, and the Normans later built a new castle on the site, which forms the core of the present one. After a revolt in 1095 supported by the castle’s owner, it became the property of the English monarch.

In the 17th century, financial difficulties led to the castle deteriorating, but it was restored by various owners during the 18th and 19th centuries. It was finally bought by the Victorian era industrialist William Armstrong, who completed its restoration. The castle still belongs to the Armstrong family and is their private home. It is open to the public.

[Wikipedia]

The view of the village from the castle walls

Etched into the walls of the “dungeon”

ImageImage 1     -*-*-*-     Image 2

Nesting birdUhtred of Bebbanburg

Bamburgh, under its Saxon name Bebbanburg, is the home of Uhtred Uhtredson, the main character in Bernard Cornwell’s The Saxon Stories. He is one of the few characters in the show “The Last Kingdom”to be fictional. The book series became a TV series and this character, Uhtred of Bebbanburg is loosely based on Uhtred the Bold, an ealdorman of all Northumbria from 1006 to 1016.

LINDISFARNE – HOLY ISLAND III

This post is primarily the ruins of the historic Lindisfarne Priory.

English Heritage – The history of the priory.


Headstones, St Mary’s Churchyard, , Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Hope Family Headstones, St Mary’s Churchyard, , Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Statue, St Aidan, Lindisfarne Priory, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Monument to St Aidan, Lindisfarne Priory, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

After a number of Viking raids, St Cuthbert’s coffin was removed from Lindisfarne and eventually buried in Durham Cathedral. As no evidence of his original shrine survives, English Heritage has commissioned a new monument, designed by sculptor Russ Coleman, to mark where the saint’s original burial place and the site of the miracles may have been located. Made from a large basalt boulder found locally, the monument in inset with Frosterley marble as a nod to the grave slab that marks St Cuthbert’s final resting place at Durham. Sitting on a Swaledale fossil plinth, which was found in the region and contains sea creature fossils, the monument stands within the ruins of the 12th-century priory, which claims direct descent from the early monastery.


Lindisfarne Priory, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


LINDISFARNE – HOLY ISLAND II

Admiral Fitzroy’s Storm Barometer, Crown & Anchor Pub, The Market Place, Fenkle Street, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Gateway & Path to Village, The Heugh, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Navigation Beacons at North End of Ross Links, Middleton, Northumberland, England UK

The Beacons are called Guile Point (the easterly one) and Heugh Hill (westerly) or sometimes Guile Point East & West, Old Law, and are described as wooden interior, stone clad obelisks, established in 1826. They are 21m and 24m high respectively, solar powered lights were added in the early 1990’s and they mark safe passage for vessels approaching Holy Island Harbour.


Anglo-Saxon Archaeological Ruins & Lookout Tower, The Heugh, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Possibly the the remains of the oldest Anglo-Saxon church in Northumbria. The church is thought to date to between A.D. 630 and 1050, most likely on the earlier end of the span, and may have been built on the same site where St. Aidan raised a wooden church in A.D. 635.


War Memorial (Cenotaph), The Heugh, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

The great wave of memorial building after the First World War resulted in thousands of commemorative monuments being raised both at home and on the battlefield. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens was the most outstanding designer to work in this field. This is one of 15 War Crosses designed by Lutyens, sharing a broadly similar design. The earliest to be erected was at Miserden, Gloucestershire, in 1920; the latest at Station Road, York, in 1925.

In 1902, Lutyens had been commissioned by Edward Hudson to convert the C16 Lindisfarne Castle into a residential property. It is assumed that the commission for the war memorial arose because of the work that Lutyens had undertaken for Hudson. Lutyens donated his services to the War Memorial Committee. The memorial was carved in Doddington stone by Mr Tully of Belford; Lutyens chose this stone to chime with the stone of Lindisfarne Priory. At a well-attended ecumenical service, on 4 June 1922, the memorial was unveiled by Major Morley Crossman DSO and dedicated by Rev WB Hall.

An inscription to commemorate those local servicemen who died fighting during the Second World War was added at a later date. Following storm damage which broke the shaft in the winter of 1983-4, the top of the memorial was replaced.

Sir Edwin Lutyens OM RA (1869-1944) was the leading English architect of his generation. Before the First World War his reputation rested on his country houses and his work at New Delhi, but during and after the war he became the pre-eminent architect for war memorials in England, France and the British Empire. While the Cenotaph in Whitehall (London) had the most influence on other war memorials, the Thiepval Arch was the most influential on other forms of architecture. He designed the Stone of Remembrance which was placed in all Imperial War Graves Commission cemeteries and some cemeteries in England, including some with which he was not otherwise associated.

IMAGE 1:     —–     IMAGE 2:


St Cuthbert’s Island from The Heugh, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

A tidal island that is accessible by foot at low tide. – The RNLI Museum is on the right,


Relic, The Heugh, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Ruins Adjacent to the Lookout Tower, The Heugh, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Lindisfarne Castle, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

16th century castle converted to a residence in 1902 by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Edward Hudson.

Images taken from inside the glassed-in lookout tower


Crown & Anchor Inn, Fenkle Street, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

The pub dates to 1827


Door, Crown & Anchor Inn, Fenkle Street, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Former GPO Marker, Market Place, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Not as old as it looks –  it used to mark where a telephone cable runs by displaying the distance in Feet using up to three interchangeable numbers.


Britannia Cottage, Crossgates Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Mustard Close, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


RNLI Museum, Mustard Close, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Emblems, RNLI Museum, Mustard Close, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

The Old Lifeboat House was restored in 2015, 50 years after the last lifeboat was taken out of service on the island (there is now a volunteer Coastguard contingent on the island). It features an exhibition telling the story of the Lifeboats on the island, and is dedicated to the Lifeboat crews and islanders with a connection to the service.

The first lifeboat, the Grace Darling, a ten-oar boat, was introduced to Holy Island in 1865.

The last lifeboat (Gertrude) was launched for the last time on 4 October 1967, before she was transferred to Exmouth in Devon. Following the introduction of advanced navigation technology and the use of helicopters both for sea rescues and to evacuate casualties from the island, there was a decreased need for the lifeboat service, though the RNLI services from Seahouses and Berwick are still used.

Image 1:     —–     Image 2:

These plates are either side of the doorway to the museum.

A common use today for the service:


Window, Fenkle Street, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Rear Garden Gate, Fenkle Street, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Iron Rails Cottage, Front Street, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Sign Post, Front Street, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Rural Land behind the Coast Guard Station, 2 St Cuthberts Square, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Old Pumps, Coast Guard Station, St Cuthberts Square, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Broken & Abandoned, Lindisfarne Harbour, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Anchor Chain Links, Lindisfarne Harbour, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Boat Shed, The Ouse, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Herring Boats, Lindisfarne Harbour, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Old herring fishing boats no longer seaworthy, brought ashore and upturned to convert to storage shelters


The Ouse, Lindisfarne Harbour, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Lindisfarne Harbour Wall, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Crab-Lobster Pots, Lindisfarne Harbour, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Fishing Boats, Lindisfarne Harbour, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Fisherman’s Boat, Lindisfarne Harbour, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Fisherman’s Hut, Lindisfarne Harbour, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Coastal Rocks, Lindisfarne Harbour, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Osborne’s Fort, Lindisfarne Harbour, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Built in 1671 as fortifications to supplement Lindisfarne Castle and defend against Dutch Raids.

History:


Lindisfarne Castle across the Harbour, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Old Post Office House, Fenkle Street View, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Wall Lamp, Manor House Hotel, Church Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Celtic Cross, Market Place, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

The cross was rebuilt in 1828 on the site of a medieval cross, and is Listed Grade II, including the railings.


Shipwrecked Mariners Society Charity Collection, Market Place, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

The Shipwrecked Fishermen & Mariners Royal Benevolent Society. 16 Wilfred Street, London SW1.

Founded 1839:


Sundial, Market Place, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Included in the listing with the cross


Rain Barrel, Crossgates Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


RNLI Commemoration Plates, Crossgates Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Image 1:     —–     Image 2:     —–     Image 3:     —–     Image 4:


RNLI Plaque, Crossgates Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Rosella Cottage, Church Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Exhibit, Lindisfarne Priory Museum, Church Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Derelict Shed, St Cuthbert’s Beach, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Stone Remnants, St Cuthbert’s Beach, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Steps to Gateway, St Cuthbert’s Beach, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Path & Gate to Mustard Close, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Flowers, Mustard Close, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Gate at Entrance to the Priory Ruins, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


In Memory, St Mary’s Churchyard, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Inscription:

Erected to the memory of eleven of the crew of the Holmrook S. S. who lost their lives through the vessel being wrecked on the False Emanuel Head, Holy Island 26th March 1892, of whom are buried here
W. B. Baines, Master
James Skinner
John James
A. Wilkinson
William Taylor
W. H. Robson
S. Haggerson
H. R. Guthrie
and another unidentified
John Nye

The story here:


Nesting Birds, St Mary’s Church, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Image 1:     —–     Image 2:


Headstone, Henry Thomas McDonald, St Mary’s Church, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

In
Memory
Of
Henry Thomas McDonald
Who was first in the
32nd and afterwards
Capt. in the 53rd Regt
And served long
In India
Died August 25th 1856
Aged 73 years
Also 2 of his sons
Died in infancy


Memorial Plaques, St Mary’s Church, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Image 1:     —–     Image 2:


St Mary the Virgin Church, Church Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Lindisfarne’s parish church of St Mary’s is thought to stand on the site of the wooden church built by St Aidan in 635 AD. Dating from between 1180 and 1300, the parish church is the oldest building on the island (older than the ruined Norman priory), though a round headed arch in the chancel, and a strange high level doorway, are certainly Saxon in style. Mostly, the church now dates from the 12th century.

The long nave could indicate that this is one of the churches of the original monastery, or it could have been built by the Christianised Vikings, for whom this was an important place.


“The Journey”, St Mary’s Church, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Depiction of Monks carrying Cuthbert’s coffin away from Holy Island to protect it from Viking raiders.

Image 1:     —–     Image 2:


Headstone, John Morton, St Mary’s Church, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Headstone, George Murray, St Mary’s Church, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Headstone, St Mary’s Church, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK



LINDISFARNE – HOLY ISLAND I

Lindisfarne, also called Holy Island, is a tidal island off the north-east coast of Northumberland, England.  Holy Island has a recorded history from the 6th century AD; it was an important centre of Celtic Christianity under Saints Aidan, Cuthbert, Eadfrith, and Eadberht of Lindisfarne. The island was originally home to a monastery, which was destroyed during the Viking invasions but re-established as a priory following the Norman Conquest of England.



Lindisfarne Priory, Holy island, Northumberland, England UK

Holy Island – is one of the most important centres of early English Christianity. Irish monks settled here in AD 635 and the monastery became the centre of a major saint’s cult celebrating its bishop, Cuthbert. The masterpiece now known as the Lindisfarne Gospels was created here in the early 8th century. The ruins now visible are those of a 12th-century priory, which claimed direct descent from the early monastery.

English Heritage History

Historic England Listing


View to Lindisfarne Castle, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


St Mary the Virgin Church, Church Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Lindisfarne’s parish church of St Mary’s is thought to stand on the site of the wooden church built by St Aidan in 635 AD. Dating from between 1180 and 1300, the parish church is the oldest building on the island (older than the ruined Norman priory), though a round headed arch in the chancel, and a strange high level doorway, are certainly Saxon in style. Mostly, the church now dates from the 12th century.

The long nave could indicate that this is one of the churches of the original monastery, or it could have been built by the Christianised Vikings, for whom this was an important place.


Headstone, St Mary’s Church, Lewin’s Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

I have not been able to find any information on this particular grave.


Askew Family Headstones, St Mary’s Church, Lewin’s Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Names:
Elizabeth Ann Askew – 1772 – 1857
Hugh Bertram Askew – 1785 – 1868
Isabel Askew – 1780 – 1864
John Askew – 1732 – 1794


Unknown Tomb, St Mary’s Church, Lewin’s Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Headstone of Lancelot Wilson, St Mary’s Church, Lewin’s Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Lancelot Wilson – d. 15 May 1822 Aged 77
Elizabeth Wilson – d. 2 October 1799
Joyce Wilson – d.14 June 1801
Ann Wilson d. 17 September 1802
Anne Wilson – d. unknown


Old Headstone, Graveyard, St Mary’s, Lewin’s Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

” Here lyeth the Body of Mr Alexander Nicolson who being 10 years Minister of the Gospel in Holy Island Departed this life the 31st day of August 1711 and his age 65 “


‘Filled In’, St Mary’s Church, Lewin’s Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


St Aidan Statue, Lindisfarne Priory Grounds, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

In need of urgent preservation.


The Manor House Hotel & Car Park Entry, Church Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


1962 Austin Healey 3000 Mk II, Manor House Hotel, Church Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


793 Spirits Co., Fenkle Street, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Holiday Rentals, Farne Court (top) & Farne View (bottom), Fenkle Street, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Holiday Rentals, Marygate, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


The Ship Inn, Marygate, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Sally’s Cottage, Marygate, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Stone Carving, T Wilson 1792, Marygate, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Again, I have been unsuccessful in finding information on this.


To Kyle Gardens, Marygate, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


The Lindisfarn Gospel Garden, Marygate, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

Note the lack of an “e” on Lindisfarn


Laneway, Marygate, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Entrance Door, Marygate House, Marygate, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UKMarygate House Rear View, Lewin’s Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Entrance Door, Town View Cottage, Lewin’s Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Residential Property, Lewin’s Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Bird Boxes, Victoria Cottage, Lewin’s Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


St Cuthbert’s Centre United Reformed Church, Lewin’s Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Gate, Vicarage, Lewin’s Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Flowers, St Mary’s Church, Lewin’s Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Inscription on Gate, Lewin’s Lane, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK

“Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you “plant.


Priory Ruins, from St Mary’s Church, Church Lane, Lindisfarne, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


Old Post Office House, Market Place, Holy Island, Northumberland, England UK


HAYDON BRIDGE to SOUTH QUEENSFERRY (Scotland)

We proceed further on our trip leaving Haydon Bridge and heading across the border and into Scotland with our destination and stay for the next few days being South Queensferry

Google Maps View of Locations

Old Bridge, Haydon Bridge, Northumberland, England UK

The old bridge built in 1680 is now a pedestrian bridge only. It is a Grade II Listed Building

England-Scotland Border Stone, Carter Bar, Jedburgh, Scottish Borders, Scotland UK

Jedburgh Abbey, Abbey Bridge End, Jedburgh, Roxburghshire, Scotland, UK

Jedburgh Abbey & Canongate Bridge, Abbey Bridge End, Jedburgh, Roxburghshire, Scotland, UK

Jedburgh is one of the four great abbeys established in the Scottish Borders in the 1100s. David I founded a priory here in 1138 and raised it to abbey status in 1154. The brethren may have come here from St Quentin Abbey, near Beauvais, France.  Monastic life was largely routine. But the abbey’s border location meant it was caught up in the conflict between Scotland and England in the later Middle Ages. The canons had to evacuate the premises during the Wars of Independence in the 1300s. The demise of Jedburgh’s monastic life was sealed by further attacks in the 1400s, major raids in the 1500s & the Protestant Reformation of 1560.

We did not visit the ruins as we had done so on a previous visit.

Trinity Church, Cnr Newcastle & Oxnam Roads, Jedburgh, Roxburghshire, Scotland UK

Melrose Abbey Ruins, Abbey Street, Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scottish Borders, Scotland UK

Unfortunately I could only walk around the outside of the building itself as it was undergoing preservation work and was considered dangerous within the ruin.

The abbey was founded in 1136 by King David I of Scotland. It was established by the Cistercian monks. It was attacked several times and following a foray by Richard II in 1385 it was completely rebuilt.

Only a very small part of the first abbey church survives. The present building of rose-coloured stone dates almost entirely to the post-1385 rebuilding. Yet Melrose is still considered one of the most magnificent examples of medieval church architecture anywhere in the British Isles.

It is the place where the heart of Robert the Bruce was interred.

Commendator’s House Museum, Cloisters Road, Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scottish Borders, Scotland UK

The Commendator’s House Museum lays claim to having the largest collection of medieval artefacts on display anywhere in Scotland. It forms part of Melrose Abbey.

A commendator is a person who is responsible for overseeing a benefice, which is a type of church property. They are called “commendators” because the property is entrusted to their care. In history, a “commendatus” was someone who swore loyalty to a lord and was placed under their protection.

Doors of the Commendator’s House, Cloisters Road, Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scottish Borders, Scotland UK

Image 1     *****     Image 2     ***** Image 3

The centre image is a door with a “Marriage Lintel”.  The initials of James Douglas, the Commendator of Melrose Abbey & those of his wife Mary Kerr of Ferniehirst (whom he married in 1587), appear with the date 1590 on a recut lintel over the main entrance. This was a common practice of the times but died out by the end of the 19th century.

The lintels serve as a record of a marriage and the joining together of two families, who were often aristocratic or monied. Lintels could be added to a building which was built specifically for the married couple, or were carved into a pre-existing lintel. They were always set over the main entrance and some also appear inside houses, above the most visible fireplace. Wherever they were placed, they were meant to be seen. They are a feature of the east coast of Scotland and date primarily from the sixteenth to the eighteenth centuries.

Windows, Commendator’s House, Melrose Abbey, Cloisters Road, Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scottish Borders, Scotland UK

Window 1 Window 2
Window 3 Window 4
Window 5 Window 6

Corbels, Commendator’s House Museum, Cloisters Road, Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scottish Borders, Scotland UK

Corbel 1 Corbel 2

Corbels were supports for the beams set into walls. These came from domestic buildings associated with the abbey. c1200s

Road Sign, Cloisters Road, Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scottish Borders, Scotland UK

Old Stone Gate Posts, Harmony Cottage, Abbey Street, Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scottish Borders, Scotland UK

Image 1 Image 2

Turret Clock Works, Commendator’s House, Cloisters Road, Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scottish Borders, Scotland UK

This was erected on the end of the abbey church in 1762.

Old Tweed Bridge, River Tweed, Galashiels, Roxburghshire, Scottish Borders, Scotland UK

Image 1 Image 2 Image 3

The Old Tweed Bridge was opened by Sir Walter Scott in 1832. Having operating as the main link between Selkirk and Galashiels for 140 years. It is now a dedicated pedestrian bridge.

HEXHAM & ALLENDALE TOWN, NORTHUMBERLAND

Google Maps View of Locations

Benson of Allerwash Memorial Gates, Hexham Park, Cnr Hencotes & Beaumont Street, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Erected in 1912 in memory of Lieut. Col. G. E. Benson of Allerwash, [died 1901], by his brother. It is a Grade II Listed Building.

Queen’s Hall, Beaumont Street, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

“Completed in 1866 as the Town Hall and Corn Exchange, by the 1920s it contained a dance hall and the Queen’s Hall cinema. It was saved from demolition in 1975 and re-opened as the Queen’s Hall Arts centre with a library, art rooms, theatre and gallery. It is a Grade II Listed Building.

Arched Memorial Gateway, Seles Park, Beaumont Street, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Descriptions on the dedication plaques.

Unusual Recess in Wall, Hexham Abbey Museum, Beaumont Street, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Stone Arch, Cowgarth, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Park Entrance, Cowgarth, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Bridge Structure over Halgut Burn, Cowgarth, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Halgut Burn, Hexham Park, Cowgarth, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Hexham House is a Grade II Listed Building

Hexham House & Garden, Gilesgate, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Park Bench, Hexham Park, Cowgarth, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Hexham Bandstand, The Sele, Beaumont Street, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

The bandstand built in 1912, is a Grade II Listed Building

Happy Dogs, Cowgarth, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Image 1 ****** Image 2

We came upon these two dogs bounding around the park and leaping onto and completely over this wall.

Garden, The Parish Centre, Cowgarth, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Letters, 9 Beaumont Street, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Planter, Beaumont Street, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Doorway, Trinity Methodist Church, Beaumont Street, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Archway, Hencotes, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

The Historical Plaque on the Left Side of the Arch

Excelsior Buildings, Battle Hill, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

The Globe Inn, Battle Hill, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Street Sign, St Marys Chare, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Chare:-
Noun. chare (plural chares) Alternative form of char (“turn, task, chore, worker”). (Northern England) A narrow lane or passage between houses in a town.

Door, St Marys Chare, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

The Grapes, 1 St Marys Chare, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Old Pharmacy Sign, Fore Street, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

The intricate carvings above Gibson’s Pharmacy in Hexham were produced in 1916 by a Belgian refugee. The contents of the pharmacy are now held in the Science Museum, London, while the shop has found another use.

“Shambles” Old Town Market, Market Place, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

A Grade II Listed Building.

Old Door, Fore Street, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Anglo-Saxon Crypt, Hexham Abbey, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Queen Etheldreda of Northumbria gave Wilfrid land on which he built the Benedictine monastery dedicated to St Andrew which became Hexham Abbey and Cathedral. Only the crypt survives, but that shows how St Wilfrid’s great church was built from stone quarried by the Romans four or five centuries before. The crypt is over 1300 years old.

St Aidan’s Church, Hencote, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Memorial to George Elliott Benson, Cnr Hencotes & Beaumont Street, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Image 1 ****** Image 2

Hexham Community Church, Cnr Hencotes & Beaumont Street, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Pubs, Market Place, Allendale Town, Northumberland, England UK

The King’s Head & The Golden Lion

The Golden Lion Hotel, Market Place, Allendale Town, Northumberland, England UK

A Grade II Listed Building

Doorway, Victoria House, Market Place, Allendale Town, Northumberland, England UK

Door Lamp, The King’s Head, Market Place, Allendale Town, Northumberland, England UK

St Cuthbert’s Church, Market Place, Allendale Town, Northumberland, England UK

Grade II Listed Building

Parish church on medieval site built in 1874, except for lower part of tower which survives from the church of 1807

Grave Stones, St Cuthbert’s Church, Market Place, Allendale Town, Northumberland, England UK

Graves of:-
George Maughan 1760-1848
Joseph Shield 1793-1873
Nicholas Rowell 1753-1842

Holly, St Cuthbert’s Church, Market Street, Allendale Town, Northumberland, England UK

Former Trustee Savings Bank, Market Place, Allendale Town, Northumberland, England UK

A Grade II Listed Building. Site of the bank since 1838 with these premises erected in 1873.

Former Bank with Night Safe, Allendale Town, Northumberland, England UK

I was unable to find any history about this building. It is now residential.

Allendale Inn, The Peth, Allendale Town, Northumberland, England UK

Hotspur House, 4 Arnison Terrace, Allendale Town, Northumberland, England UK

A Grade II Listed Building used as a B&B (currently for sale)

River Allen & Cupola Bridge, Allendale Town, Northumberland, England UK

A Grade II Listed Building constructed in 1778

HEXHAM ABBEY, NORTHUMBERLAND, ENGLAND

While staying at Haydon Bridge, we took a drive to the nearby town of Hexham and visited its magnificent abbey, a site that dates as far back as the year 664.

Visit this page for the historical account of the abbey

Google Maps View of Locations

Image 1     **     Image 2

Image 1     **     Image 2

Image 1     **     Image 2

LANERCOST PRIORY RUINS & THE CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

We stumbled upon this place after  visiting Vindolanda & Hadrian’s Wall.

Old priory that played host to both King Edward I and Robert Bruce during in its tumultuous history.

An excellent detailing of the history of the priory can be found at this site:-

English Heritage.

Google Maps View of LocationThe Ruin of the Gateway Entrance to the site.

Church of St Mary Magdalene, Lanercost, Brampton, Cumbria, England UK

Side Door of Church of St Mary Magdalene, Lanercost, Brampton, Cumbria, England UK

Interior, Church of St Mary Magdalene, Lanercost, Brampton, Cumbria, England UKMemorial Plaques

Image 1Image 2

Internal Doorway, Church of St Mary Magdalene, Lanercost, Brampton, Cumbria, England UK

Access Door to Lanercost Priory Ruins, Lanercost, Brampton, Cumbria, England UK

Doorway to Dacre Hall, Lanercost Priory Ruins, Lanercost, Brampton, Cumbria, England UK

Tombs, Lanercost Priory Ruins, Lanercost, Brampton, Cumbria, England UK

Image 1 Image 2

Cemetery, Lanercost Priory Ruins, Lanercost, Brampton, Cumbria, England UK

Grave Stones, Lanercost Priory Cemetery, Lanercost, Brampton, Cumbria, England UK

Image 1Image 2Image 3

Lanercost Priory Ruins, Lanercost, Brampton, Cumbria, England UK

ROMAN HISTORY II

Continuing the time at Haydon Bridge to explore Roman History.

GOOGLE EARTH VIEWImage 1     –     Image 2

    Image 1     –     Image 2     –     Image 3     –     Image 4

Exhibits, Vindolanda Museum, Bardon Mill, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Sculpture Exhibit, Vindolanda Museum, Bardon Mill, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Vindolanda Museum Gardens, Bardon Mill, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Chainley Burn, Vindolanda Museum Gardens, Bardon Mill, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Chainley Burn, Vindolanda Museum Gardens, Bardon Mill, Hexham, Northumberland, England UK

Stone Post, Roman Army Museum, Pennine Way, Greenhead, Brampton, Northumberland, England UK

Majestic Tree, Roman Army Museum, Pennine Way, Greenhead, Brampton, Northumberland, England UK

Section of Hadrian’s Wall, Upper Denton, Brampton, Northumberland, England UK

This section is adjacent to the Birdoswald Roman Fort ruins.

     Image 1     –     Image 2

Ruins of Birdoswald Roman Fort, Upper Denton, Brampton, Northumberland, England UK

Hadrian’s Wall Banks East Turret, Pike Hill, Banks, Brampton, Cumbria, England UK