Home » Posts tagged 'Travel'

Tag Archives: Travel

Counter

2935425
Users Today : 15
Users Yesterday : 96
This Month : 3327
Views Today : 28

Click Below to Receive Advice of New Posts

Post Calendar

July 2021
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  

SEE MY FLICKR GALLERY

PAST POSTS

Vienna, Austria 2017 Part V

Still in Vienna and walked a couple of parks/gardens and then took a “Fiaker” ride around the old historic city.

[Remember that all images will open in a new tab and all are geotagged!]

“Fiaker”, Petersplats, Vienna, Austria

A fiacre is a form of hackney coach, a horse-drawn four-wheeled carriage for hire. In Vienna such cabs are called Fiaker. (not us)


Fürstentum Liechtenstein Botschaft, Löwelstraße 8, Vienna


Wüstenrot House, Kohlmarkt, Vienna


View down Kohlmarkt to The Hofburg, Michaelerkuppel, Vienna


Storefront, Graben, Vienna


St Michael Gate, The Hofburg, Michaelerkuppel, Vienna


Statue, Kaiser Franz I, Löwelstraße, The Hofburg, Vienna

Franz Joseph Karl from the House of Habsburg-Lorraine was from 1792 to 1806 as Franz II the last emperor of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation. In 1804 he founded the empire of Austria, which he reigned as Francis I until his death.


Water Hydrant, Löwelstraße, The Hofburg, Vienna


Statue, Swiss Gate, In der Burg, The Hofburg, Vienna


The Swiss Gate, The Hofburg, Michaelerkuppel, Vienna


The Hofburg, Vienna

The Hofburg is the official residence and workplace of the President of Austria and was formerly the principal imperial palace of the Habsburg dynasty. Located in the center of Vienna, it was built in the 13th century.


Müllverbrennungsanlage Spittelau (Waste Incineration Plant), Spittelauer Lände, Vienna

(Taken from a tram)


Citroen 2CV, Klosterneuburger Straße, Brigittenau, Vienna


Chevrolet Utility, Alserbachstraße, Vienna

Not the sort of vehicle I expected to see in this historic city!


Schubertbrunnen (Schubert Fountain), Alserbachstraße, Josefstadt, Vienna c.1928


Entry Gate, Liechtenstein Garden Palace, Fürstengasse, Vienna

Lichtenstein Park, Gardens and Palaces, Fürstengasse, Vienna

The Liechtenstein Palace is now a private art museum in Vienna, Austria. It contains much of the art collection of its owners, the Princely Family of Liechtenstein, rulers of the principality of Liechtenstein. It includes important European works of art, forming one of the world’s leading private art collections.


Bank Austria Building, Julius Tandler Platz, Vienna


Colourful Building, Lampigasse 19, Leopoldstadt, Vienna


“Big Brother”, Lampigasse, Vienna


Park Railing, Augarten, Lampigasse, Vienna


Tree-Lined Avenues, Augarten, Leopoldstadt, Vienna


Monument, Augarten, Leopoldstadt, Vienna


Flakturm VII G-Tower (Anti-Aircraft Tower), Augarten, Leopoldstadt, Vienna


Flakturm VII L-Tower (Anti-Aircraft Tower), Augarten, Leopoldstadt, Vienna

Flak towers (German: Flaktürme) were large, above-ground, anti-aircraft gun blockhouse towers constructed by Nazi Germany. There were 8 flak tower complexes in the cities of Berlin (3), Hamburg (2), and Vienna (3) from 1940 onwards. Other cities that used flak towers included Stuttgart and Frankfurt. Smaller single-purpose flak towers were built at key outlying German strongpoints, such as at Angers in France, Helgoland in Germany. The towers were operated by the Luftwaffe to defend against Allied strategic air raids against these cities during World War II. They also served as air-raid shelters for tens of thousands of local civilians.



Vienna, Austria 2017 Part IV

Gartenpalais Liechtenstein (Garden Palace), Fürstengasse, Vienna, Austria

The City Palace of the Princely family of Liechtenstein is the first major example of High Baroque architecture in Vienna and holds insights into artistocratic life. The Lichtenstenstein Garden Palace is home to an art collection once owned by Prince von und zu Liechtenstein. Known as The Princely Collections, they contain masterpieces from the early Renaissance to the Biedermeier era, including highlights from Peter Paul Rubens, Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn, Anthony van Dyck, Lucas Cranach the Elder, Frans Hals and Raffaello Sanzio da Urbino. The collections also include unique and precious holdings of prints and engravings, Italian bronzes of the 16th and 17th century, pietra dura objects, furniture,porcelain, tapestries, ivories and arms that once graced the castles and palaces owned by the family.


Flakturm VII G-Tower (Anti-Aircraft Tower), Augarten, Leopoldstadt, Vienna

Flak towers (German: Flaktürme) were large, above-ground, anti-aircraft gun blockhouse towers constructed by Nazi Germany. There were 8 flak tower complexes in the cities of Berlin (3), Hamburg (2), and Vienna (3) from 1940 onwards. Other cities that used flak towers included Stuttgart and Frankfurt. Smaller single-purpose flak towers were built at key outlying German strongpoints, such as at Angers in France, Helgoland in Germany. The towers were operated by the Luftwaffe to defend against Allied strategic air raids against these cities during World War II. They also served as air-raid shelters for tens of thousands of local civilians.


Café Restaurant Augarten Wall, Obere Augartenstraße, Leopoldstadt, Vienna


Entry Gate, Augarten, Obere Augartenstraße, Leopoldstadt, Vienna


Wine Barrel, Café Restaurant Augarten, Obere Augartenstraße, Vienna


Das Porzellanmuseum Augarten, Obere Augartenstraße, Vienna


Old Building, Augarten, Obere Augartenstraße, Vienna


Entry Gate, Augarten, Obere Augartenstraße, Leopoldstadt, Vienna


Tech Gate, Donau-City-Straße, Vienna


Andromeda Tower, Donau-City-Straße, Vienna


Saturn Tower, Leonard Bernstein Straße, Dabube City, Vienna


Commercial Building, Bruno Kreisky Platz, Vienna


“Große Skulptur” (Fritz Wotruba, 1965), Bruno Kreisky Platz, Vienna


Donauturm Aussichtsturm (Danube Obersavtion Tower), Mispelweg, Vienna

The Donauturm (English: Danube Tower) is a tower in Vienna, the tallest structure in Austria at 252 metres (827 ft), and is the 59th tallest tower in the world. Opening in April 1964, the tower is located near the north bank of the Danube River in the district of Donaustadt. Travel to the top and there is a revolving restaurant.


Views from Donauturm Revolving Restaurant, Donauturm Aussichtsturm (Danube Obersavtion Tower), Mispelweg, Vienna


Memorial to Salvador Allende, Donaupark, Vienna

Salvador Guillermo Allende Gossens 26 June 1908 – 11 September 1973) was a Chilean physician and politician, known as the first Marxist to become president of a Latin American country through open elections.

Allende’s involvement in Chilean political life spanned a period of nearly forty years. As a member of the Socialist Party, he was a senator, deputy and cabinet minister. He unsuccessfully ran for the presidency in the 1952, 1958, and 1964 elections. In 1970, he won the presidency in a close three-way race. He was elected in a run-off by Congress as no candidate had gained a majority.


Miniature Railway Track, Donaupark, Vienna


“Golf Kills”, Papstwiese Donau Park, Donauturmstraße, Vienna


Stone Sculpture, Donaupark, Vienna


View to Millenium Tower from Danube Park, Handelskai, Vienna


Business District, Austria Centre, Bruno Kreisky Platz, Vienna


Graffitied Lamp, Platz der Vereinten Nationen, Vienna


Mondial Apartments, Alserbachstraße, Josefstadt, Vienna

Our accommodation for Vienna stay.



Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy Part IV

It’s been a while since the last post so here’s the continuation of Bologna.


Rooftop View from the Dining Room of Hotel San Donato, Via Zamboni, Bologna


Basilica di San Petronio, Piazza Maggiore, Bologna

Construction began in 1390 and its main facade has remained unfinished since. The building was transferred from the city to the diocese in 1929; the basilica was finally consecrated in 1954.


Alfresco Area, L’Asporto, Via Guglielmo Oberdan, Bologna


Doorway, 2 Via San Nicolò, Bologna


Doorway, 15 Via Altabella, Bologna


Fontana del Nettuno (Fountain of Neptune), Piazza Pettuno, Bologna

The construction of the fountain was commissioned by the Cardinal Legate Charles Borromeo, to symbolize the fortunate recent election of Borromeo’s uncle as Pope Pius IV. To clear space for the fountain, an entire edifice had to be demolished.

The design and assembly of the fountain was completed by the Palermitan architect Tommaso Laureti in 1563. The fountain was completed in 1565. The over-life-size bronze figure of the god Neptune was completed and fixed in place around 1566.


Palazzo del Podestà, Piazza Maggiore, Bologna


Portico, Via Zamboni, Bologna


Reminders of the Past, Arcidiocese di Bologna, Via Altabella, Bologna

See this on Street View


Torre Prendiparte (also called Torre Coronata), Piazzetta Prendiparte, Via Sant’Alò, Bologna

This tower built in the 12th century and standing 61 metres tall, today has a slight incline to the north. The tower was part of the so-called triad of medieval skyscrapers together with those of the Galluzzi and the Azzoguidi . It was sold for the first time in 1293 for 500 lire.


Stone Carving, Via Rizzolo, Bologna


Pope Gregory XIII, Palazzo d’Accursio, Piazza Maggiore, Bologna

The current building is the result of the fusion of three palaces, with the oldest dating to the 12th century: the casa-torre (house-tower), well visible as it is the part of the building with the clock tower. Originally, this was the house of the jurist Accursio (hence the name given to the building, which is also known as Palazzo Comunale), an eminent professor of law at the Studium, the University of Bologna.

Accursio sold the palace to the city in 1287, and, in the 13th century, the building became known as Palazzo delle Biade because it was used as the municipal storage of grains.

In 1336, it became the seat of the Anziani (“Elders”), the highest magistrates of the city (Comune). Thirty years later, the papal legate – the representative of the pope in town – gave the building its fortified look, with walls, merlons and towers (perhaps because papal power had always been seen with suspicion by the Bolognesi).

In 1425, the building was further expanded to house the apartments of the Papal Legate.


L’Amor Patrio e il Valore Militare, Palazzo d’Accursio, Piazza Maggiore, Bologna

These bronze statues by Giuseppe Romagnoli “L’Amor Patrio e il Valore Militare” were returned to the facade of Palazzo d’Accursio after 75 years together with the plaque dedicated to King Umberto I. Originally placed in 1909 at the main entrance of the Palazzo d’Accursio, was removed and partially destroyed in 1943 by order of the Italian Social Republic, with the intention of erasing any memory of the ruling house.


Le due Torri: Garisenda e degli Asinelli, Bologna

TORRE DEGLI ASINELLI

The Tower was built between 1109 and 1119 by the family bearing the same name and was handed over to the Municipality as early as the following century. 498 internal steps lead to the top at a height of 97.02 metres.

TORRE GARISENDA

Torre Garisenda, built at the same time, is different due to its shorter height of 47 metres. It is known for its steep overhang due to a subsidence of the land and the foundations, so much so that Dante featured it in Canto XXXI of the Inferno. It was lowered for fear of it collapsing during the 14th century.


Via Zamboni, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy


Torre degli Azzoguidi (also called Torre Altabella) , Via Altabella, Bologna

Built in the 12th century the tower is one of twenty “noble towers” that still exist in Bologna. It stands at 61 metres tall and is the second tallest in Bologna.


Vicolo Tubertini (Alley), Via Guglielmo Oberdan, Bologna


Gateway, L’Antico Ghetto Ebraico (Old Jewish Ghetto), Via Guglielmo Oberdan, Bologna


Gateway, Piazzetta Prendiparte, Bologna


Galleria Giovanni Acquademi, Via Rizzoli, Bologna


Doorway, Studio Notarile Demaio, Via Albiroli, 1, Bologna


Entrance, Torre degli Azzoguidi (also called Torre Altabella) , Via Altabella, Bologna


Entrance, Torre Guidozagni, Via Albiroli, Bologna


The Towers of Bologna – the story



Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy Part I

We hired a car from Florence for a drive to Bologna and what a trip. Magnificent.


Italian Countryside Panorama, Tuscany, Italy


Country Villas, Via Bolognese, Querceto, Tuscany, Italy


Castello di Villanova, Via Nazionale, Barberino di Mugello, Tuscany, Italy


Rural Ruins, Via Nazionale, Cafaggiolo, Tuscany, Italy


Misty Panorama, Via Nazionale, Cafaggiolo, Tuscany, Italy


“Warning”, Via Nazionale, Cafaggiolo, Tuscany, Italy


Panoramas, Futa Pass, Via Traversa Futa, Tuscan-Emilian Apennines, Tuscany, Italy


Ristorante Passo della Futa dal 1890, Futa Pass, Via Traversa Futa, Tuscan-Emilian Apennines, Tuscany, Italy


Panorama, Via Pietramala, Pietramala, Tuscany, Italy


Waterfall, Via Idice, Monterenzio, Tuscany, Italy


Building Ruin, Via Idice, Monterenzio, Tuscany, Italy


Hotel San Donato (Palazzo Malvasia), Piazzetta Achille Ardigò, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

[Our place of residence in Bologna]

The hotel is in an old but fully renovated Italian Palazzo – Palazzo Malvasia which dates to the 13th century.


The Two Towers, Via San Vitale, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

There are two towers and are commonly referred to as “Two Towers”. They date to the 13th century and are located at the intersection of the roads that lead to the five gates of the old ring wall (mura dei torresotti). It was located at the site of the early medieval Gate to the Via Emilia, the Porta Ravennate, now remembered by the name of the adjacent Piazza di Porta Ravegnana. The taller tower is called the Asinelli while the smaller but more leaning tower is called the Garisenda.


Church & Clock Tower, Via San Vitale, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy


Galleria del Leone, Piazza della Mercanzia, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy


Palazzo della Mercanzia, Piazza della Mercanzia, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy


Ferro da Facciata, Via Castiglione, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

A ferro (plural ferri) or ferro da facciata is an item of functional wrought-iron work on the façade of an Italian building. Ferri are a common feature of Medieval and Renaissance architecture in Lazio, Tuscany and Umbria. They are of three main types: ferri da cavallo have a ring for tethering horses, and are set at about 1.5 metres from the ground; holders for standards and torches are placed higher on the façade and on the corners of the building; arpioni have a cup-shaped hook or hooks to support cloth for shade or to be dried, and are set near balconies.

In Florence, ferri da cavallo and arpioni were often made to resemble the head of a lion, the symbolic marzocco of the Republic of Florence. Later, cats, dragons, horses and fantastic animals were also represented.

 

[See a collection of the wonderful features here]


Iron Bracket, Via Castiglione, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

View this on Google Street View!


Stairway Passage, Palazzo Pepoli Vecchio, Via Castiglione, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy


Vintage Street Lamp, Piazza del Francia, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

[See this place on Google Street View]


Stone Carved, Piazza del Francia, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy


Via de Pepoli, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy




Doors, Windows, Gates of Florence Part V

The final contribution of the doors of Florence.






















































Italy 2019 Florence Part V

“Watching”, Piazza di Santa Maria Novella, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Basilica di Santa Maria Novella, Piazza di Santa Maria Novella, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Palazzo Ottaviani, Piazza degli Ottaviani, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Ponte alla Carraia, Arno River, Florence, Tuscany, Italy

The first mention of the bridge (then built in wood) dates from 1218. Destroyed by a flood in 1274, it was soon reconstructed, but fell down again in 1304 under the weight of a crowd who had met to watch a spectacle. It was the first bridge in the city rebuilt after the 1333 flood, perhaps under design of Giotto. Again damaged in 1557, it was remade by will of Grand Duke Cosimo I de’ Medici, who assigned the project to Bartolomeo Ammannati.

Enlarged during the 19th century, the bridge was blown up by the retreating German Army during World War II (1944). The current structure is a design by Ettore Fagiuoli, completed in 1948.
Wikipedia:


Chiesa di San Frediano in Cestello, Via di Cestello, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


River Arno Eastwards from Ponte Alla Carriai, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Ponte Santa Trinita & Ponte Vecchio, River Arno, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Street Lamp, Lungarno Guicciardini, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Coat of Arms, Lungarno Guicciardini, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Ponte Santa Trinita, River Arno, Florence, Tuscany, Italy

The Ponte Santa Trìnita is the oldest elliptic arch bridge in the world, characterised by three flattened ellipses.

The bridge was constructed by the Florentine architect Bartolomeo Ammannati from 1567 to 1569. Its site, downstream of the Ponte Vecchio, is a major link in the medieval street plan of Florence, which has been bridged at this site since the 13th century. The wooden bridge of 1252 was swept away in a flood seven years later and was rebuilt in stone; this structure was in turn destroyed by a flood in 1333. The bridge of five arches constructed by Taddeo Gaddi was also destroyed in the flood of 1557, which occasioned Ammannati’s replacement. Four ornamental statues of the Seasons were added to the bridge in 1608, as part of the wedding celebrations of Cosimo II de’ Medici with Maria Magdalena of Austria


Street Shrine, Corner Borgo San Jacopo, Via del Presto di San Martino & Via Santo Spirito, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Fontana dello Sprone, Cnr Via Dello Sprone & Borgo San Jacopo, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Flower Pot, Borgo San Jacopo, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Torre dei Belfredelli, Borgo San Jacopo, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Costa Del Pozzo, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Piazza Di Santa Maria Soprarno, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Costa dei Magnoli, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


San Giovanni Battista (John the Baptist), Via de’ Bardi, Florence, Tuscany, Italy

SAN GIOVANNI BATTISTA

OPERA DI GIULIANO VANGI

donata alla cittá dall’ente
cassa di risparmio di firenze
1796-1996


Small Access Door, Cantina Capponi, Via de’ Bardi, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Memorial to St Francis of Assisi, Via de’ Bardi, Florence, Tuscany, Italy

Qui Giunse Nel 1211 Per La Prima Volta a Firenze San Francesco d’Assisi

Here, in 1211, San Francesco d’Assisi arrived in Florence for the first time


Church of San Niccolò Sopr’Arno, Via di San Niccolò, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Porta San Miniato, Via San Miniato, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Cappella Pazzi, Largo Piero Bargellini, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Bell Tower, San Niccolò Oltrarno, Via San Niccolò, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Street Lamp, Via dei Bastioni, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Porta San Niccolò, Piazza Giuseppe Poggi, Florence, Tuscany, Italy

14th Century City Gate


Piazza Giuseppe Poggi, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Rampe dei Poggi, Viale Giuseppe Poggi, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Street Lamp, Viale Giuseppe Poggi, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Pathway to Giardino delle Rose, Oltrarno, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Stele “Sole per Galileo Galilei”, Piazza Poggi, Lungarno Serristori, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Gate in the Riverbank, River Arno, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Weir, River Arno, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Weir & Spillway, River Arno, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Riverside to Ponte alle Grazie, Lungarno della Zecca Vecchia, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Street Lamp, Via del Ronco, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Riverside Steps, Ponte San Niccolò, River Arno, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Torre della Zecca Vecchia, Piazza Piave, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale di Firenze, Piazza dei Cavalleggeri, Florence, Tuscany, Italy

National Library of Florence


Monument to Dante Alighieri. Piazza di Santa Croce, Largo Piero Bargellini, Florence, Tuscany, Italy

Dante Alighieri, probably baptized Durante di Alighiero degli Alighieri and often referred to simply as Dante, was an Italian poet.


Basilica di Santa Croce a Firenze, Piazza di Santa Croce, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Piazza Santa Croce Fountain, Piazza Santa Croce, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Via delle Burella, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


Palazzo del Bargello Doorway, Via della Vigna Vecchia, Florence, Tuscany, Italy

The Bargello, also known as the Palazzo del Bargello, Museo Nazionale del Bargello, or Palazzo del Popolo, is a former barracks and prison, now an art museum.


Street Signs, Florence, Via del Proconsolo, Piazza di San Firenze, Tuscany, Italy


“Ero Nudo E Mi Avete Vestito”, Sculpture, Palazzo del Bargello, Via del Proconsolo, Florence, Tuscany, Italy

“I was naked and you clothed me”


Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore, Piazza del Duomo, Florence, Tuscany, Italy


4659 Via de’ Cerretani, Florence, Tuscany, Italy