Greece 2019 Part XI


All images are geotagged and hyperlinked to open full screen. To view them on a map, save the image to your hard drive and then download this FREE SOFTWARE. Install and click on the image in the left panel to view in a map as to the location where it was taken.  (SAMPLE VIEW)


Along the Waterfront, Koróni, Greece

 

Street Lamp, Waterfront, Koróni

 

Derelict Waterfront Building, Koróni

 

Views of and around Church of Saint Charalambos, Koróni

 

Church of Hagia Sophia (Saint Sophia), Koróni

Holy Trinity Church, Koróni

 

Garden of Monastery of Agios Ioannis, (Saint John) Koróni

 

Around the Temple of Apollo Grounds, Koróni

 

Shuttered Window, Koróni



A Day Trip to Quairading and Kokerbin (Western Australia) August 2020

All images are geotagged and hyperlinked to open full screen. To view them on a map, save the image to your hard drive and then download this FREE SOFTWARE. Install and click on the image in the left panel to view in a map as to the location where it was taken.  (SAMPLE VIEW)


A day out in the country – see here for the route followed:


Greenhills Cemetery, Quairading-York Road, Greenhills, Western Australia

Grave of Charlotte Keane, Greenhills Cemetery

Grave of William & Mary Ann McMullen, Greenhills Cemetery

Grave of George McMullen, Greenhills Cemetery

Grave of William Boyle – an Infant, Greenhills Cemetery

Grave of William George White, Greenhills Cemetery

Quairading-York Road Westwards, Greenhills Cemetery

St Andrew’s Anglican Church, Quairading-York Road, Greenhills  Built: 1912

Quairading Hotel, Heal Street, Quairading  Built: 1908

Interior of Quairading Hotel

War Memorial, Heal Street, Quairading

Tribute to Pioneers, Heal Street, Quairading

The Co-Op, Heal Street, Quairading

Intersection of Heal Street and Cubbine Road, Quairading

Railway Station, Quairading

Baggage Scales

Track – West & East

Community Centre (Rear View) Quairading

Directions, York-Merredin Road, Quairading

Commemoration Plaque, Heal Street, Quairading

(To commemorate the town’s contribution to the State’s sesquicentenary)

Former Commercial Bank of Australia Premises, Heal Street, Quairading

Premises date to 1937 – the Commercial Bank and Bank of New South Wales merged in 1982 to become Westpac Banking Corporation.

The Brass Razoo Bank, Former Commercial Bank of Australia

An old Australian saying if you haven’t got a “Brass Razoo”, means you are broke or penniless.

Shire Hall, McLennan Street, Quairading Built: 1925

The place was originally the Roads Board office. Throughout the years it has been the focus of social and cultural activities in the Quairading area. The Hall has been the venue for community and celebratory activities which include numerous balls. Dancing was enjoyed at most of the social gatherings. Wedding receptions, dinners, school concerts, cabarets, ballet, live performances, theatre, YAL (Young Australia League) concerts, and Repertory Shows also featured at the hall. Community groups have used the hall for meetings and functions. During World War Two, fundraising and welcome home dances were the main events. Pictures were always a family night out, and remained popular at the hall until the late 1960s when the drive-in theatre opened in Quairading. During the 1979 refurbishment of the hall a cache of cash was discovered in a drainpipe. It is reputed to have been Paddy Baker’s, the picture show man (later owner of the Regal theatre in Perth). The extensions to the hall in 1979 offered more opportunities for the place. The Senior Citizens have established facilities in the former Roads Board offices, and the hall, reception area and lounge are used for many social, civic and community functions.

“El Toro” – A Jordan Sprigg Sculpture, Shire Hall

Former Western Australia Bank Premises, Heal Street Built: 1926

Post Office, Jennaberring Road  Built: 1927

Rock Outcrop, Pantapin South Road, Pantapin

Windmill & Water Tank, Pantapin South Road, Pantapin

Government Well, Kokerbin Nature Reserve, Kwolyin

The well is of a dry-wall construction and is over 20 metres deep and 3 metres wide. It is believed to have been a government project to assist in the early development of the area.

Around Kokerbin Rock, Kokerbin Nature Reserve, Kwolyin

Picnic Area, Kokerbin Nature Reserve, Kwolyin

Rural Landscape, Mount Stirling Road, Mount Stirling

Granite Outcrop, Mount Stirling Road, Mount Stirling



Iceland 2019 Part IV

The walk around the main streets of Reykjavik continues..

Te & Kaffi, Laugavegur 27, Reykjavik, Iceland

Bicycle Road Barrier, Laugavegur, Reykjavik, Iceland

Sakebarinn Sushi & Sticks, Laugavegur 2, Reykjavik, Iceland

Laneway, Skólavörðustígur, Reykjavik, Iceland

Red Door, Skólavörðustígur 3A, Reykjavik, Iceland

Door, Skólavörðustígur 5, Reykjavik, Iceland

Red Door, Hotel Óðinsvé, Skólavörðustígur 7, Reykjavik, Iceland

Door, Skólavörðustígur 9, Reykjavik, Iceland

Front Gate, Skólavörðustígur 25, Reykjavik, Iceland

Purple Door, Skólavörðustígur 29, Reykjavik, Iceland

Hallgrímskirkja, Hallgrímstorg, Reykjavik, Iceland

Hallgrímskirkja is a Lutheran (Church of Iceland) parish church in Reykjavík, Iceland. It is one of the city’s best-known landmarks and is visible throughout the city. At 74.5 metres (244 ft) high, it is the largest church in Iceland and among the tallest structures in the country. The church is named after the Icelandic poet and clergyman Hallgrímur Pétursson (1614–1674), author of the Passion Hymns.

Architect Guðjón Samúelsson’s design of the church was commissioned in 1937 and is said to have been designed to resemble the trap rocks, mountains and glaciers of Iceland’s landscape.

It took 41 years to build the church: construction started in 1945 and ended in 1986, but the landmark tower being completed long before the whole church was completed. The crypt beneath the choir was consecrated in 1948, the steeple and wings were completed in 1974, and the nave was consecrated in 1986. At the time of construction, the building was criticised as too old-fashioned and as a blend of different architectural styles. The church was originally intended to be less tall, but the leaders of the Church of Iceland wanted a large spire so as to outshine Landakotskirkja (Landakot’s Church), which was the cathedral of the Catholic Church in Iceland.

Leifur Eiríksson Monument, Hallgrímskirkja, Hallgrímstorg, Reykjavik, Iceland

The statue of Leifur Eiríksson (who is known in English as Leif Eriksson) was a gift from the United States to Iceland to commemorate the 1000 year anniversary of Alþingi, the parliament of Iceland first convened at Þingvellir in the year 930 AD.

Roof Balcony, Tækniskólinn – Skólavörðuholti (Technical School), Frakkastígur, Reykjavik, Iceland

Public Toilet, Frakkastígur, Reykjavik, Iceland

Steps to Door, Frakkastígur 26, Reykjavik, Iceland

Rear Door & Steps, Grettisgata 26, Reykjavik, Iceland

Doorway, Frakkastigur 11, Reykjavik, Iceland

Carving, Mónakó, Laugavegur 78, Reykjavík, Iceland

Reykjavik Cathedral, Pósthússtræti , Reykjavik, Iceland

Cathedral church in Reykjavík, dating back to 1796 is the seat of the Bishop of Iceland and mother church of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Iceland, as well as the parish church of the old city centre and environs.

Bust, Reverend Bjarni Jónsson, Kirkjutorg, Reykjavik, Iceland

Bjarni Jónsson, minister in the Reykjavík Cathedral, ran for election to the post of President of Iceland in 1952. He was narrowly defeated by only 2.6% of the vote.

Skólabrú Restaurant, Skólabrú, Reykjavik, Iceland

One of Reykjavik’s finer restaurants, we had dinner here one night – they had Puffin on the menu!

1912 Guest House, Skólabrú, Reykjavik, Iceland