Images of Mining & Life from the Past – VII


The final contribution of the collection of old images of the early mining days in the northern goldfields of Western Australia, mainly the old Sons of Gwalia Mine at Leonora but also many of other surrounding places.

See this link for a map showing Leonora and Gwalia


Sonsa Dean Din Ras 1909

An Afghan who lived along Nambi Road and had his own personal mosque

 

Oroya Black Range Gold Mine, Sandstone 1908

 

Smoke Stack

(The State Hotel in Gwalia is visible to the left)

 

Machinery Shed, Sons of Gwalia Mine

 

Sons of Gwalia 1977

The mine was liquidated in 1963 and did not reopen again until 1982. The new entity operated the mine until its being placed into administration in 2004

 

Images Circa 1963

 

Maintenance near Headframe 1941

 

Mine View 1941

 

1907

 

Working Underground

 

Tool Sharpeners

 

Train Station, Gwalia

 

Mine 1926

 

Underground Shift

 

Atop the Gas Producers, Looking Towards the State Hotel

 

Tower Street 1905

The building to the right is the National Bank of Australasia – Now the Tourist & Information Bureau (See Here for today image)

 

“Ken”

Woodline locomotive in what today is the rear car park of the mine offices.

Ken’s Parking Spot During a Rainstorm in 2012

 

 

Images Associated with the Woodlines

Woodlines

Large quantities of timber are required for the development and running of the gold mines. This timber was not available locally and so a transport problem arose. The material required had to be shipped from its source to the lease and the best way considered to do this was by a small railway. An application was made for the constructing of the tramway and this was later granted to the Company.

The total area covered by the woodline was approximately 800 square miles. 4000 miles of 20″ gauge track. Only sufficient track was maintained to operate a few spur lines at one time. As an area became exhausted, the track was lifted (in sections complete with mulga log sleepers) and relaid in another area. The spur lines were laid 2 miles apart so that woodcutters were always within 1 mile of the track. The mulga cut was the fuel source for Sons of Gwalia Mine. About 30,000 tons of mulga of wood per year. The wood was used as fuel for boilers producing steam for the winder and to make producer gas for the engines in the power house. These engines drove the alternators generating the mines electricity and compressors producing the compressed air required. Woodline camps were very spartan. Each woodcutter had a small canvas hut with iron roof, which could be lifted onto a railway timber wagon and moved to the next campsite. Bough sheds were erected around the huts for additional shade and pens for chickens and goats were re-erected at each new campsite. Now, remains of bough sheds indicate the location of a campsite. Although a predominantly male occupation, some woodcutters had their families with them.

Washout of the Line at Lake Raeside

Railing Water 1941

Aerial – State Hotel in the background

The current mine offices are today located in the vacant plot in the centre of this image

Winder Wheels

Gold Pouring 1906

 

The Winder

Before the Fire in 1921

Leonora

 

Sons of Gwalia Mine 1949

 

Wooden Head Frame

 

Tram Car and Barn 1905

 

Tram 1903

 

Station Creek Homestead 1904

 

Trucks in Tower Street, Leonora

 

Todd Bros Coach Factory

 

The Mail Car

 

The Workers Club 1920

 

The Old Hotel Murrin Murrin 1905

 

The Smelter, Annaconda Copper Mine, Eulaminna 1900

 

Tatterstalls Hotel Mt Morgans

 

Sandalwood Cutters, Wilsons Patch

 

Unknown



Images of Mining & Life from the Past – VI


Part 6 of the continuing collection of old images of the early mining days in the northern goldfields of Western Australia, mainly the old Sons of Gwalia Mine at Leonora but also many of other surrounding places.

See this link for a map showing Leonora and Gwalia


Work Shed, Sons of Gwalia Mine

 

Stripping Timber for Transportation to the Mine

 

Underground Ore Cars

Timber for Boilers on Rail Cars

Workers Taking a Break

Woodline Steam Engines

 

Timber Stockpile

 

Woodline Trains Used for Staff Picnic

 

Sleeping Outdoors?

 

Parade Outside the White House Hotel, Tower Street, Leonora

Car Outside the White House Hotel

 

Mine Sites

 

Unknown Goldfields Hotel

 

Sons of Gwalia Mine 1963

 

Battery Fire 1921

 

Railway Hotel, Murrin Murrin

 

Gathered for a Race Meeting at Darlot

 

Gwalia Mine Manager’s House late 1920s

 

Police Party

 

P Hill’s Central Hotel, Tower Street, Leonora

Ore Carriages at the Decline

 

Parade Tower Street, Leonora 1903

 

Full Load on the Leonora Tram 1908

 

Gwalia Open Cut

 

Similar View in 2015

Mine Manager’s House Behind Open Cut

 

Similar View in 2012

 

Headframe on the Edge of the Open Cut

 

“Zion City”, The Miners Camp, Mertondale, Western Australia, 1905

 

Yundaminderra Battery 1937

 

Arrival of Morgan’s Minstrels, Yundaminderra



Images of Mining & Life from the Past – V


Another installment of the collection of old images of the early mining days in the northern goldfields of Western Australia, mainly the old Sons of Gwalia Mine at Leonora but also many of other surrounding places.

See this link for a map showing Leonora and Gwalia


Views of Sons of Gwalia Mine over Many Years

 

Gwalia Landscape from Mt Leonora

 

Bulldozer Clearing Land

 

Car Outside the White House Hotel

 

Outing on New Year’s Day 1914

 

Gold Display, National Bank of Australia, Malcolm (Pistols on table!)

 

“Painless” Haircuts at Murrin Murrin

 

Donkey Cart Murrin Murrin 1905

 

Headframe at Mt Morgans Mine 1896

 

Mt Morgans Volunteer Fire Brigade

 

Mt Morgans Mine 1930

 

Magazine (Explosives Store) Mt Morgans 1896

 

Mt Morgans Cricket Club

 

Camel Train Hauling Firewood, Mt Morgans (not a tree in sight)

 

Hill’s Malcolm Hotel

 

Moving Town, Malcolm (Always take the pub with you)

 

Donkey Team Transporting Firewood

 

Mine Workers

 

Wood Train

 

Mine Workers at Mt Morgans

 

Mine at Lawlers

 

Gwalia Aerials 1956

 

Mine Workers 1930

 

Retail Centre

 

“Midland”

Convent of Mercy School 1932

 

Bank of New South Wales

Built 1939 – closed 1943 and then occupied by National Bank of Australia until 1966

Leinster Mine



Images of Mining & Life from the Past – IV


More of the collection of old images of the early mining days in the northern goldfields of Western Australia, mainly the old Sons of Gwalia Mine at Leonora but also many of other surrounding places.

See this link for a map showing Leonora and Gwalia


Leonora 1910

 

Aerial of Hoover House

 

Earlier History of the Sons of Gwalia Mine

The Gwalia mine was originally established in 1897 by Herbert Hoover, who later became the 31st President of the United States.
St Barbara restarted mining at Gwalia in 2008 and has produced more than two million ounces of gold
Mining at Gwalia is planned to reach a depth of 2,300 metres below the surface by 2031

 

Captioned: Fowler with Mr P Franchine & Mr W Allen

 

Flooding at Malcom in 1927

 

Captioned: First Motor Car – Dr Bertram Will & Bob Thompson

 

Merton’s Reward – Note the Pistol!

 

Views of Merton’s Reward

 

Mertondale Football Club

 

Butcher in Mertondale 1905

 

Menzies Volunteer Fire Brigade 1909

 

Rail Workers

 

Mine Workers

 

Mary & Doreen

 

Malcolm Townsite

 

Malcolm Hotel

 

Malcolm Brewery 1902

 

Lawlers 1929

 

Mail Runs

 

Underground Miners

 

Leonora Early Days

 

Leonora Tramway

 

Leonora Railway Station

 

Leonora State School – Opening 1908

 

Leonora State School 1910

 

Tree Planting

 

Watching the Game – Leonora Sports Ground

 

School Bus Run in front of The State Hotel, Gwalia

 

Manoeuvering a Building into Place – Leonora



Images of Mining & Life from the Past – III


Continuing the collection of old images of the early mining days in the northern goldfields of Western Australia, mainly the old Sons of Gwalia Mine at Leonora but also many of other surrounding places.

See this link for a map showing Leonora and Gwalia


The Underground Access – Sons of Gwalia Mine

 

Horse Rider is Les Willey, with the Owner Bill Biggs Circa 1940s

 

“Dick & Mary” in Mine Manager’s House Swimming Pool

 

Mine Manager’s House Swimming Pool

 

Mine Manager’s House

It was much later named after Herbert Hoover the first future president of America who was the first mine manager. It was completed after he left Leonora and never lived here.

 

Sons of Gwalia Mine Headframe

 

The Sons of Gwalia Mine – Late 1950s

 

The Gwalia State School 1948

 

School Master’s House 1948

 

Aerial View of the Public Pool, Gwalia

This was reputedly the first public swimming pool in Western Australia. It also doubled as a fire fighting water supply for the mine.

 

Aerial View of the Gwalia Open Cut

 

Early Days of the Open Cut

 

Gwalia Methodist School Picnic 1919

 

Groups of Sons of Gwalia Employees

 

“Italian Motor Racing Cyclists” 1932

 

Gwalia Heaframe Beyond a New Pit

 

Crash!

 

“Gum Creek”, Lawlers.

Prospectors left Cue in the Murchison Goldfields and found gold at what is now Lawlers in 1892. Lawlers is about 160 km (100 miles) north of Leonora

 

Scenes from Great Western Mine, Wilson’s Patch

Wilson’s Patch was about 70 Km (42 miles) north of Leonora on the road to Agnew.

 

Outside Great Western Hotel

 

“Gold Dinner” – Mt Malcolm

 

A Group of Well Dressed Gentlemen

 

The 4 o’clock Shift

 

Engineering

 

Fitters’ Shop 1932

 

Leonora Municipal Tramcar 1903

 

The Last Tram Run in 1915

 

Lawlers Hotel

 

Small Steam Engine used on the Mine

 

Lapsley’s Drays, Doyles Well

 

Jack Mahomet’s Camel-Train 1930

 

Inside the Gwalia Mine Manager’s House 1921

 

Imperial Hotel, Malcolm

 

Great Eastern Hotel, Lawlers 1921



Images of Mining & Life from the Past – II


Continuing the collection of old images of the early mining days in the northern goldfields of Western Australia, mainly the old Sons of Gwalia Mine at Leonora but also many of other surrounding places.

See this link for a map showing Leonora and Gwalia


School Class Pictures

Local Member of Parliament, Dick Burt with Mrs Conlon and her Gwalia Class

 

Flood 1937

Rail Washout – Malcolm

Malcolm lies east of Leonora towards Laverton and though there is no longer a town, there is still a rail-head. Gold was discovered here in 1895.

 

Aftermath of Fire in Town (Leonora) July 1932

 

Bulldozer – Driver “Robbie”

 

Donkeys at Work at the Mine

 

Donkey Teams Under Full Load

 

The Local Doctor’s Method of Transport

 

Kurrajong Hotel

Old mining town about 28 km (17 mile) NNW of Leonora

A Celebratory Dinner – men only by the looks.

 

Devine’s Anaconda Store at Euliminna

Eulaminna was an old township east of Leonora along the road to Laverton

Sons of Gwalia Mine Looking somewhat derelict

 

Train Derailment – Unknown Location

 

Horse Assisted Flood Crossing – Unknown Location

 

Camel Travel – Note the Woman’s Dress

 

Cobb & Co the Australian Equivalent of America’s Wells Fargo

 

Clem Hill

 

Central Hotel, Leonora

 

Carriggs Hotel, Mt Morgan

Known as “Morgans” gold was discovered here in 1896. It was located along the Old Laverton Road in between Leonora and Laverton.

 

Men and Their Camels 1911

 

Sons of Gwalia Mine, August 1913

 

Flooding at Station Creek

North of Leonora Station Creek is now the Town Water Reserve



See a more recent collection of images of Leonora & Gwalia

Images of Mining Life from the Past

Here is the beginning of a collection of old images of the early mining days in the northern goldfields of Western Australia, mainly the old Sons of Gwalia Mine at Leonora but many of other places also.

See this link for a map showing Leonora and Gwalia


Moving a 20 Ton Crankshaft

Before the 1921 Fire

 

Fire at Sons of Gwalia Mine 1921

 

1927 Buick Mail Car

 

1930 Mess Room

 

Head Frame 1948

 

Heading Underground in 1963

 

Sons of Gwalia Mine 1968

Anaconda Copper Mine Eulaminna 1900

Eulaminna was an old township east of Leonora along the road to Laverton

Rail Wash-away 1927 Floods

 

Afternoon Shift 1930

 

Allies Set 1916 Gwalia School Ball

Amongst the Wildflowers

 

Description is wrong £60,000 = $120,000 (AUD) and is today worth over $4,000,000!!

 

An Outing to Doyle’s Well, about 37 miles (60 km) north west of Leonora

Doyle’s Well Pub Ads

 

August 1913

 

Ballangarry Hotel

Balangarry is about 120 km north of Leonora near where Leinster is today

 

Bank of New South Wales Leonora in two different incarnations

 

Barnes Federal Theatre

Built in 1899 or Mr P. Barnes, an hotel owner and businessman of Leonora.

 

Cyclists at Craiggiemore Gold Mine

The old Craiggiemore Gold Mine was located in the Laverton Area

 

Gwalia Leonora Bus Service

 

Camel Drawn Plow, Gwalia

The Sign on the plough says Lynas Motors – I don’t know if there was an association with a Perth Ford Dealer of the same name.

 

Cameleer with his Camel

 

Camel Train Leonora 1930

 

Camel Train Wilsons Patch

Wilson’s Patch was about 80 km north of Leonora

Camel Trains = the top image is at the Gwalia Railway Station

 


A Day Trip to Quairading and Kokerbin (Western Australia) August 2020

All images are geotagged and hyperlinked to open full screen. To view them on a map, save the image to your hard drive and then download this FREE SOFTWARE. Install and click on the image in the left panel to view in a map as to the location where it was taken.  (SAMPLE VIEW)


A day out in the country – see here for the route followed:


Greenhills Cemetery, Quairading-York Road, Greenhills, Western Australia

Grave of Charlotte Keane, Greenhills Cemetery

Grave of William & Mary Ann McMullen, Greenhills Cemetery

Grave of George McMullen, Greenhills Cemetery

Grave of William Boyle – an Infant, Greenhills Cemetery

Grave of William George White, Greenhills Cemetery

Quairading-York Road Westwards, Greenhills Cemetery

St Andrew’s Anglican Church, Quairading-York Road, Greenhills  Built: 1912

Quairading Hotel, Heal Street, Quairading  Built: 1908

Interior of Quairading Hotel

War Memorial, Heal Street, Quairading

Tribute to Pioneers, Heal Street, Quairading

The Co-Op, Heal Street, Quairading

Intersection of Heal Street and Cubbine Road, Quairading

Railway Station, Quairading

Baggage Scales

Track – West & East

Community Centre (Rear View) Quairading

Directions, York-Merredin Road, Quairading

Commemoration Plaque, Heal Street, Quairading

(To commemorate the town’s contribution to the State’s sesquicentenary)

Former Commercial Bank of Australia Premises, Heal Street, Quairading

Premises date to 1937 – the Commercial Bank and Bank of New South Wales merged in 1982 to become Westpac Banking Corporation.

The Brass Razoo Bank, Former Commercial Bank of Australia

An old Australian saying if you haven’t got a “Brass Razoo”, means you are broke or penniless.

Shire Hall, McLennan Street, Quairading Built: 1925

The place was originally the Roads Board office. Throughout the years it has been the focus of social and cultural activities in the Quairading area. The Hall has been the venue for community and celebratory activities which include numerous balls. Dancing was enjoyed at most of the social gatherings. Wedding receptions, dinners, school concerts, cabarets, ballet, live performances, theatre, YAL (Young Australia League) concerts, and Repertory Shows also featured at the hall. Community groups have used the hall for meetings and functions. During World War Two, fundraising and welcome home dances were the main events. Pictures were always a family night out, and remained popular at the hall until the late 1960s when the drive-in theatre opened in Quairading. During the 1979 refurbishment of the hall a cache of cash was discovered in a drainpipe. It is reputed to have been Paddy Baker’s, the picture show man (later owner of the Regal theatre in Perth). The extensions to the hall in 1979 offered more opportunities for the place. The Senior Citizens have established facilities in the former Roads Board offices, and the hall, reception area and lounge are used for many social, civic and community functions.

“El Toro” – A Jordan Sprigg Sculpture, Shire Hall

Former Western Australia Bank Premises, Heal Street Built: 1926

Post Office, Jennaberring Road  Built: 1927

Rock Outcrop, Pantapin South Road, Pantapin

Windmill & Water Tank, Pantapin South Road, Pantapin

Government Well, Kokerbin Nature Reserve, Kwolyin

The well is of a dry-wall construction and is over 20 metres deep and 3 metres wide. It is believed to have been a government project to assist in the early development of the area.

Around Kokerbin Rock, Kokerbin Nature Reserve, Kwolyin

Picnic Area, Kokerbin Nature Reserve, Kwolyin

Rural Landscape, Mount Stirling Road, Mount Stirling

Granite Outcrop, Mount Stirling Road, Mount Stirling



Dowerin & Goomalling, July 2020

Another drive into the country for lunch in the wheatbelt town of Dowerin and a stop at Goomalling on the return to Perth.


All images are geotagged and hyperlinked to open full screen. To view them on a map, save the image to your hard drive and then download this FREE SOFTWARE. Install and click on the image in the left panel to view in a map as to the location where it was taken.  (SAMPLE VIEW)


(view from the pub balcony)


Commercial Hotel, Stewart Street, Dowerin, Western Australia

“Benbullen”, 18 Stewart Street, Dowerin

Post Office, Stewart Street, Dowerin c.1913

National Australia Bank, Stewart Street, Dowerin

Views of Stewart Street, Dowerin

Brush Screen, Stewart Street, Dowerin


Freemasons Hall, Goldfields Road, Dowerin

Sculpture, Stewart Street, Dowerin

I believe it is supposed to represent a stalk of wheat?

Railway Derrick, Stewart Street, Dowerin

Picnic Seating, Railway Reserve, Stewart Street, Dowerin

War Memorial, RSL Centenary Park, Goldfields Road, Dowerin

Road Board Office, Stewart Street, Dowerin, c.1924

The Dowerin Road Board came into existence following the split from nearby Goomalling in about 1912. The land was purchased in 1923 for £500 and the building opened the following year.

These offices were used by the Dowerin Road Board and, later, the Dowerin Shire Council for a period of 44 years. By 1966 the increase in staff necessitated by population growth and additional administrative responsibilities, meant that the old building no longer had adequate space. Plans were ordered for a new administrative building which was opened in April 1968.

Original Commercial Bank of Australia Premises, Stewart Street, Dowerin c.1911

The block of land was purchased by Commercial Bank of Australia Ltd. on 24 June 1909 and a branch opened the same year. The Dowerin branch of the Commercial Bank first occupied a three roomed weatherboard building. During the latter half of 1910, N. Peterson of Subiaco won the contract to erect new brick offices for the bank and commenced work in October of that year. Bank officers moved into their new premises at the end of February 1911.

On October 1, 1982, The Bank of New South Wales and CBA became Westpac Banking Corporation.

Old Buildings, Stewart Street, Dowerin

Grey Nomads, Dowerin

Vintage Advertising, Railway Terrace, Goomalling

Road Board Building, Railway Terrace, Goomalling

The building housed the local Road Board from 1907 – 1967.

War Memorial Hall, Cnr Quinland and Hoddy Streets, Goomalling

A Mechanics Institute was erected at this site min 1911 but was demolished and this Memorial Hall was erected in 1922.

Main Street – Railway Terrace, Goomalling

Goomalling Tavern, Railway Terrace, Goomalling

Goomalling Farmers Club, Cnr Quinlan and Forrests Streets, Goomalling c.1912

Socially significant. The club was constructed to fulfil the need for socialisation and interaction of farmers in the area to help exchange ideas and solutions to problems. Structurally & architecturally significant of the era.

Former Union Bank of Australia and Quarters, Railway Terrace, Goomalling, c.1925

Quite a history behind the Union Bank. Formed in 1837 and operated until 1951 when it merged Zealand Bank Limited- Now the Australia and New Zealand Banking Group, commonly known as the ANZ.

Alley, Railway Terrace, Goomalling

Agricultural Relic, Millsteed Memorial Garden, Cnr Quinlan and Hoddy Streets, Goomalling

The Memorial garden commemorates Terence Millsteed who was a member of the Goomalling Roads Board, a councillor on the Goomalling Shire Council and Shire President from 1940 to 1975.

Possum Sculpture, Railway Terrace, Goomalling

Post Office, Railway Terrace, Goomalling, Western Australia

Abandoned Farm House, Goomalling-Toodyay Road, Jennacubbine


Woodbridge/Guildford, Perth, Western Australia July 2020

Afternoon coffee at the “Riverside at Woodbridge” and then to Barkers Bridge over the Swan River at Guildford.


All images are geotagged and hyperlinked to open full screen. To view them on a map, save the image to your hard drive and then download this FREE SOFTWARE. Install and click on the image in the left panel to view in a map as to the location where it was taken.  (SAMPLE VIEW)


“Woodbridge”, Ford Street, Woodbridge, Western Australia c.1885

Captain James Stirling took up land here in 1829, the same year the Swan River Colony was settled. He named his property ‘Woodbridge’ as it reminded him of the area around the home of his wife’s family in Surrey, England. Stirling had a small cottage built but spent little time there. At the end of his term as Governor in 1839, Stirling left the colony and leased the property to various tenants.

Charles Harper married Fanny de Burgh in 1879 and the following year took up a lease at Woodbridge. In 1883 land was purchased and the Harpers began the construction of a large family home. Two years later, Charles, Fanny, their three sons and one daughter moved into the completed house.

Jetty on the Swan River below “Woodbridge”

Fields around “Woodbridge”

Barkers Bridge, Swan River, Guildford, Perth, Western Australia

Riverside, Barkers Bridge, Swan River, Guildford, Perth, Western Australia