Home » Posts tagged 'Black & White'
Tag Archives: Black & White
Lunch at the wonderfully historic Waggon & Horses Pub in Marlborough then a visit to the Avebury Henge and Stone Circles (See previous post)
Originally a 17th-century house, two storeys in stone with a thatched roof, is now the Waggon and Horses pub; additions in the late 19th century and early 20th are described as picturesque by Historic England.
We have now reached Granada in Andalusia, the location of the famous Alhambra.
Diputación Provincial De Ciudad Real – Provincial Government of Cuidad Real
Built between 1889-1893.
Oficina de Correos – Post Office
Viewed from the balcony of our accommodation
This laneway which is inaccessible by vehicles is the access to where we stayed in Granada.
Hotel Casa Morisca, Cuesta de la Victoria, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
The hotel is set in a 15th century Moorish house.
Father Manjón 1846-1923 was the founder of the Ave Maria Schools. This walk was built in 1609 and was called Paseo de la Puerta de Guadix, referring to the same door located at the end of the walk, which led to this town. The fountain that occupies the center of this open space was also built in the same year.
Although its official name is currently Paseo del Father Manjón,for the aforementioned reason, from the 19th century it began to be called Walk of the Sad,so nicknamed for being the place traveled by funeral courtships in the direction of the San José cemetery, located behind La Alhambra, on the hill called Sabika.
Ruins Along Rio Darro, Paseo del Padre Manjón, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Doorway, Oro del Darro Suites, Calle Carrera del Darro, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Stone Staircase, Museo Arqueológico y Etnológico de Granada, Casa de Castril, Carrera del Darro, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Bell Tower of Iglesia de San Pedro y San Pabl & Alhambra Tower from Museo Arqueológico y Etnológico de Granada, Casa de Castril, Carrera del Darro, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Shuttered Window, Museo Arqueológico y Etnológico de Granada, Casa de Castril, Carrera del Darro, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Ruins of Puente del Cadí, Calle Carrera del Darro, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
The Albaicin (a district of Granada) was directly connected to the Alhambra by a fortified bridge called Puente del Cadí – the “bridge of the judge”. All that is left of it today is the stump of a tower on the left bank and part of its single arch. It was built by the Moors in 1055.
Restaurant Sign, MinoTauro, Calle Carrera del Darro, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
The Alhambra at Night, Calle Valenzuela, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Arco de San Juan de los Reyes, Calle de San Juan de los Reyes, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Arco de San Juan de los Reyes – Arch of Saint John of the Kings
Statue, “Chorrojumo” (King of the Gypsies- Mariano Fernandez), Camino del Sacromonte, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Mariano Fernández Santiago, was born in 1824, known as “Chorrojumo”, he was one of the most significant characters in Granada in the 19th century
The nickname, the result of the contraction of “smoke jet”, came from his trade as a blacksmith.
Carmen De Bellavista, Paseo del Generalife, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Waterfall, Paseo del Generalife, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
This is along the path leading to the entrance gate to The Alhambra
Sign, Alhambra, Torre de los Carros, Paseo del Generalife, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Cañones Franceses, Calle Real de la Alhambra, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Part of the armaments installed by the French when occupying the site in 1811 – they departed soon after in 1812
Puerta de la Justicia, Calle Real de la Alhambra, Alhambra, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Built in 1348
Ossobuco Ristorante, Calle Carrera del Darro, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
The final contribution of the collection of old images of the early mining days in the northern goldfields of Western Australia, mainly the old Sons of Gwalia Mine at Leonora but also many of other surrounding places.
Sonsa Dean Din Ras 1909
An Afghan who lived along Nambi Road and had his own personal mosque
Oroya Black Range Gold Mine, Sandstone 1908
(The State Hotel in Gwalia is visible to the left)
Machinery Shed, Sons of Gwalia Mine
Sons of Gwalia 1977
The mine was liquidated in 1963 and did not reopen again until 1982. The new entity operated the mine until its being placed into administration in 2004
Images Circa 1963
Maintenance near Headframe 1941
Mine View 1941
Train Station, Gwalia
Atop the Gas Producers, Looking Towards the State Hotel
Tower Street 1905
The building to the right is the National Bank of Australasia – Now the Tourist & Information Bureau (See Here for today image)
Woodline locomotive in what today is the rear car park of the mine offices.
Ken’s Parking Spot During a Rainstorm in 2012
Images Associated with the Woodlines
Large quantities of timber are required for the development and running of the gold mines. This timber was not available locally and so a transport problem arose. The material required had to be shipped from its source to the lease and the best way considered to do this was by a small railway. An application was made for the constructing of the tramway and this was later granted to the Company.
The total area covered by the woodline was approximately 800 square miles. 4000 miles of 20″ gauge track. Only sufficient track was maintained to operate a few spur lines at one time. As an area became exhausted, the track was lifted (in sections complete with mulga log sleepers) and relaid in another area. The spur lines were laid 2 miles apart so that woodcutters were always within 1 mile of the track. The mulga cut was the fuel source for Sons of Gwalia Mine. About 30,000 tons of mulga of wood per year. The wood was used as fuel for boilers producing steam for the winder and to make producer gas for the engines in the power house. These engines drove the alternators generating the mines electricity and compressors producing the compressed air required. Woodline camps were very spartan. Each woodcutter had a small canvas hut with iron roof, which could be lifted onto a railway timber wagon and moved to the next campsite. Bough sheds were erected around the huts for additional shade and pens for chickens and goats were re-erected at each new campsite. Now, remains of bough sheds indicate the location of a campsite. Although a predominantly male occupation, some woodcutters had their families with them.
Washout of the Line at Lake Raeside
Railing Water 1941
Aerial – State Hotel in the background
The current mine offices are today located in the vacant plot in the centre of this image
Gold Pouring 1906
Before the Fire in 1921
Sons of Gwalia Mine 1949
Wooden Head Frame
Tram Car and Barn 1905
Station Creek Homestead 1904
Trucks in Tower Street, Leonora
Todd Bros Coach Factory
The Mail Car
The Workers Club 1920
The Old Hotel Murrin Murrin 1905
The Smelter, Annaconda Copper Mine, Eulaminna 1900
Tatterstalls Hotel Mt Morgans
Sandalwood Cutters, Wilsons Patch
Part 6 of the continuing collection of old images of the early mining days in the northern goldfields of Western Australia, mainly the old Sons of Gwalia Mine at Leonora but also many of other surrounding places.
Work Shed, Sons of Gwalia Mine
Stripping Timber for Transportation to the Mine
Underground Ore Cars
Timber for Boilers on Rail Cars
Workers Taking a Break
Woodline Steam Engines
Woodline Trains Used for Staff Picnic
Parade Outside the White House Hotel, Tower Street, Leonora
Car Outside the White House Hotel
Unknown Goldfields Hotel
Sons of Gwalia Mine 1963
Battery Fire 1921
Railway Hotel, Murrin Murrin
Gathered for a Race Meeting at Darlot
Gwalia Mine Manager’s House late 1920s
P Hill’s Central Hotel, Tower Street, Leonora
Ore Carriages at the Decline
Parade Tower Street, Leonora 1903
Full Load on the Leonora Tram 1908
Gwalia Open Cut
Similar View in 2015
Mine Manager’s House Behind Open Cut
Similar View in 2012
Headframe on the Edge of the Open Cut
“Zion City”, The Miners Camp, Mertondale, Western Australia, 1905
Yundaminderra Battery 1937
Arrival of Morgan’s Minstrels, Yundaminderra
Another installment of the collection of old images of the early mining days in the northern goldfields of Western Australia, mainly the old Sons of Gwalia Mine at Leonora but also many of other surrounding places.
Views of Sons of Gwalia Mine over Many Years
Gwalia Landscape from Mt Leonora
Bulldozer Clearing Land
Car Outside the White House Hotel
Outing on New Year’s Day 1914
Gold Display, National Bank of Australia, Malcolm (Pistols on table!)
“Painless” Haircuts at Murrin Murrin
Donkey Cart Murrin Murrin 1905
Headframe at Mt Morgans Mine 1896
Mt Morgans Volunteer Fire Brigade
Mt Morgans Mine 1930
Magazine (Explosives Store) Mt Morgans 1896
Mt Morgans Cricket Club
Camel Train Hauling Firewood, Mt Morgans (not a tree in sight)
Hill’s Malcolm Hotel
Moving Town, Malcolm (Always take the pub with you)
Donkey Team Transporting Firewood
Mine Workers at Mt Morgans
Mine at Lawlers
Gwalia Aerials 1956
Mine Workers 1930
Convent of Mercy School 1932
Bank of New South Wales
Built 1939 – closed 1943 and then occupied by National Bank of Australia until 1966
More of the collection of old images of the early mining days in the northern goldfields of Western Australia, mainly the old Sons of Gwalia Mine at Leonora but also many of other surrounding places.
Aerial of Hoover House
Earlier History of the Sons of Gwalia Mine
The Gwalia mine was originally established in 1897 by Herbert Hoover, who later became the 31st President of the United States.
St Barbara restarted mining at Gwalia in 2008 and has produced more than two million ounces of gold
Mining at Gwalia is planned to reach a depth of 2,300 metres below the surface by 2031
Captioned: Fowler with Mr P Franchine & Mr W Allen
Flooding at Malcom in 1927
Captioned: First Motor Car – Dr Bertram Will & Bob Thompson
Merton’s Reward – Note the Pistol!
Views of Merton’s Reward
Mertondale Football Club
Butcher in Mertondale 1905
Menzies Volunteer Fire Brigade 1909
Mary & Doreen
Malcolm Brewery 1902
Leonora Early Days
Leonora Railway Station
Leonora State School – Opening 1908
Leonora State School 1910
Watching the Game – Leonora Sports Ground
School Bus Run in front of The State Hotel, Gwalia
Manoeuvering a Building into Place – Leonora