Port Arthur Penal Settlement, Tasmania, Australia September 2004

NOTE: Clicking on any image will now see it open in a new tab and not in the current page.

A break from more recent travels and a jump back to a 2004 trip to Tasmania and visit to the Port Arthur Penal Settlement.

From 1833 until 1853, Port Arthur was the destination for the hardest of convicted British criminals, those who were secondary offenders having reoffended after their arrival in Australia. Rebellious personalities from other convict stations were also sent there. In addition, Port Arthur had some of the strictest security measures of the British penal system.  The World Heritage Committee of UNESCO inscribed the Port Arthur Historic Site onto the World Heritage Register on 31 July 2010, as part of the Australian Convict Sites World Heritage property. Port Arthur is one of Australia’s most visited historical sites, receiving over 250,000 visitors each year.


All images are geotagged and hyperlinked to open full screen. To view them on a map, save the image to your hard drive and then download this FREE SOFTWARE. Install and click on the image in the left panel to view in a map as to the location where it was taken.  (SAMPLE VIEW)


<>Download a Port Arthur Guide Here!<>

The Guard Tower 1835

The Asylum

Junior Medical Officer’s House, Port Arthur Penal Settlement


The Penitentiarty

Lime Kiln & The Master Shipwrights House at the Dockyard

Isle of the Dead, Carnarvon Bay, Port Arthur

Isle of the Dead is a small Island adjacent to Port Arthur, Tasmania, Australia. The isle is historically significant as it retains: an Aboriginal coastal shell midden; one of the first recorded sea level benchmarks and one of the few preserved Australian convict period burial grounds.

Isle of the Dead forms part of the Port Arthur Historic Site. This site is part of Australian Convict Sites and is listed as a World Heritage Property, as it represents convictism in the time of British colonisation.

The Penitentiary

Price’s Kiln, Port Arthur

Built on land purchased in 1886 following the closure of the Port Arthur Penal Settlement by an English potter from Staffordshire, James Price. Following the death of Price, the kiln was used by local fisherman as storage until it in part collapsed. In 1982, it was fully restored but has never been put to use due to the fragility of the historic bricks.

Iceland 2019 Part X

We finished our visit to the glacial lagoons and on our last day in Iceland we began with a drive to the Thingvellir National Park, site of the original Icelandic Parliament and also where there is a meeting of the earth’s tectonic plates.

 

All images are geotagged and hyperlinked to open full screen. To view them on a map, save the image to your hard drive and then download this FREE SOFTWARE. Install and click on the image in the left panel to view in a map as to the location where it was taken.  (SAMPLE VIEW)

(14 images stitched – Each image is 30,000 x 3,000 pixels – infrared filter applied in 2nd image)

View full size images – ColourInfrared

Glacial Lagoon, Jökulsárlón, Austurland, Iceland

.

Breiðamerkursandur, Jökulsárlón, Austurland, Iceland

(Glacial outwash plain – ice floes and icebergs from the nearby glacier can drift through a channel and into the ocean)

Mountain View from Breiðamerkursandur, Jökulsárlón, Austurland, Iceland

Monument aux Morts, Sudurlandsvegur, Kögunarhóll, Iceland

Erected in 2006 The crosses represent the 52 individuals who have lost their lives on the road between Reykjavík and Selfoss since 1972.

(Geothermal activity can be seen in the background)

Panorama, Sudurlandsvegur, Kögunarhóll, Iceland

Snow Capped, Þingvallavegur, Mosfellsbær, Iceland

Misty Panorama, Þingvallavegur, Mosfellsbær, Iceland


Snow Capped behind Thingvellir Tourist Information Centre, Þingvallavegur, Thingvellir, Iceland

Misty Panorama, Thingvellir Tourist Information Centre, Þingvallavegur, Thingvellir, Iceland

Sunrise, Thingvellir Tourist Information Centre, Þingvallavegur, Thingvellir, Iceland

Sunrise, Þingvallavatn, Thingvellir, Iceland

Thingvalla Church & Prime Minister’s Summer Residence, Thingvallir, Selfoss, Iceland

Site of the Icelandic Parliament, Thingvellir National Park, Thingvellir, Selfoss, Iceland

“Þingvellir” means assembly fields and in the year 930 AD, Iceland’s historic democratic parliament – one of the first in the world – was founded here. It was the site of the annual parliament of Iceland from 930AD to 1798AD, when the parliament moved indoors to the Althing in Reykjavik. Most Icelandic people regard Þingvellir as a sacred place, a place of great beauty and an incredible stepping stone in their history. It is also the site of the declaration of Iceland’s peaceful conversion to Christianity in around the year 1000 AD by the great Law Speaker, Þorgeir Ljósvetningagoði Þorkelsson,. A unique compromise was arrived at which made Christianity the official religion of Iceland.

The geological feature behind is the meeting of the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates.

Tectonic Geological Feature, Thingvellir National Park, Thingvellir, Selfoss, Iceland

Þingvallavatn , Thingvellir National Park, Thingvellir, Selfoss, Iceland

Snowcaps, Thingvellir National Park, Thingvellir, Selfoss, Iceland

Reflections, Þingvallavatn, Thingvellir,Selfoss, Iceland