Images of Mining & Life from the Past – III


Continuing the collection of old images of the early mining days in the northern goldfields of Western Australia, mainly the old Sons of Gwalia Mine at Leonora but also many of other surrounding places.

See this link for a map showing Leonora and Gwalia


The Underground Access – Sons of Gwalia Mine

 

Horse Rider is Les Willey, with the Owner Bill Biggs Circa 1940s

 

“Dick & Mary” in Mine Manager’s House Swimming Pool

 

Mine Manager’s House Swimming Pool

 

Mine Manager’s House

It was much later named after Herbert Hoover the first future president of America who was the first mine manager. It was completed after he left Leonora and never lived here.

 

Sons of Gwalia Mine Headframe

 

The Sons of Gwalia Mine – Late 1950s

 

The Gwalia State School 1948

 

School Master’s House 1948

 

Aerial View of the Public Pool, Gwalia

This was reputedly the first public swimming pool in Western Australia. It also doubled as a fire fighting water supply for the mine.

 

Aerial View of the Gwalia Open Cut

 

Early Days of the Open Cut

 

Gwalia Methodist School Picnic 1919

 

Groups of Sons of Gwalia Employees

 

“Italian Motor Racing Cyclists” 1932

 

Gwalia Heaframe Beyond a New Pit

 

Crash!

 

“Gum Creek”, Lawlers.

Prospectors left Cue in the Murchison Goldfields and found gold at what is now Lawlers in 1892. Lawlers is about 160 km (100 miles) north of Leonora

 

Scenes from Great Western Mine, Wilson’s Patch

Wilson’s Patch was about 70 Km (42 miles) north of Leonora on the road to Agnew.

 

Outside Great Western Hotel

 

“Gold Dinner” – Mt Malcolm

 

A Group of Well Dressed Gentlemen

 

The 4 o’clock Shift

 

Engineering

 

Fitters’ Shop 1932

 

Leonora Municipal Tramcar 1903

 

The Last Tram Run in 1915

 

Lawlers Hotel

 

Small Steam Engine used on the Mine

 

Lapsley’s Drays, Doyles Well

 

Jack Mahomet’s Camel-Train 1930

 

Inside the Gwalia Mine Manager’s House 1921

 

Imperial Hotel, Malcolm

 

Great Eastern Hotel, Lawlers 1921



Wagin, Western Australia

A day trip to Wagin, a rural town in the Great Southern region of Western Australia. It is 225 km from the state capital Perth and is well regarded as a wheat and sheep producing region. It came into being in 1889 after construction of the Great Southern Railway and was originally named Wagin Lake. Each year (it beat the pandemic this year) Wagin hosts ‘Woolorama’, an agricultural show which is a major community event.


All images are geotagged and hyperlinked to open full screen. To view them on a map, save the image to your hard drive and then download this FREE SOFTWARE. Install and click on the image in the left panel to view in a map as to the location where it was taken.  (SAMPLE VIEW)


“Bart” The Giant Ram, Wetlands Park, Arthur Road, Wagin, Western Australia

Butterick’s Buildings, Tudhoe Street  c.1912

Post Office, Tudhoe Street

Palace Hotel, Tudhoe Street c.1905

Mitchell Hall Hotel, Tudhoe Street, c. 1895

Mitchell House, Tudor Street

Butterick Building, Tudor Street c.1905

Rotunda, Tudor Street

Galt Drinking Fountain, Tudor Street

This fountain was presented to the Municipality of Wagin in January 1929 by Alexander Galt, an immigrant Scotsman, who operated a hardware importer business in town. It is number 18 manufactured at Walter Macfarlane’s Saracen Foundry in Glasgow, Scotland.

National Australia Bank, Tudor Street

Courthouse, Tudor Street

Moran’s Wagin Hotel, Cnr Tudor and Tavistock Streets c.1900

“Ladies Rest.Room”, Tavistock Street

Rear Garden, Cresswell’s Emporium, Tudor Street

Town Hall, Tudor Street

Wagin District Club, Tavistock Street

Loading Doors, Heritage Building, Tavistock Street

14 Tavistock Street

Rusting Dodge, Tavistock Street

Uniting Church, Ranford Street

Wagin Argus, Cnr Ranford and Tavistock Streets

‘Crumbling’, Wesley Hall, Tavistock Street

Fence Line, Tavistock Street

Street Sign, Tavistock Street

Note the Ram logo – on every street sign in town

St George’s Anglican Church, Lukin Street

St George’s Hall, Cnr Trenton & Tarbet Streets

Council Gardens, Arthur Road

Wetlands Park, Arthur Road

Country Cottage, Trenton Street

Old Industrial Building Windows, Tarbet Street

Masonic Hall, Tarbet Street c.1907

Wheel Rim, Beaurepaires, Tudhoe Street

Community Centre, Tudhoe Street

Originally built for the Union Bank in 1927 and once occupied by Elder Smith & Co. Now a community centre and utilised also by the local RSL.

Street Mural, Trent Street

Wagin Road Board, Trent Street c.1912

“Rustic Furniture”, 76 Tudhoe Street

Derelict Rural Buildings, Great Southern Highway (…and goat)

Railway Tracks

Graffitied Railway Rolling Stock, Great Southern Highway


Port Arthur Penal Settlement, Tasmania, Australia September 2004

NOTE: Clicking on any image will now see it open in a new tab and not in the current page.

A break from more recent travels and a jump back to a 2004 trip to Tasmania and visit to the Port Arthur Penal Settlement.

From 1833 until 1853, Port Arthur was the destination for the hardest of convicted British criminals, those who were secondary offenders having reoffended after their arrival in Australia. Rebellious personalities from other convict stations were also sent there. In addition, Port Arthur had some of the strictest security measures of the British penal system.  The World Heritage Committee of UNESCO inscribed the Port Arthur Historic Site onto the World Heritage Register on 31 July 2010, as part of the Australian Convict Sites World Heritage property. Port Arthur is one of Australia’s most visited historical sites, receiving over 250,000 visitors each year.


All images are geotagged and hyperlinked to open full screen. To view them on a map, save the image to your hard drive and then download this FREE SOFTWARE. Install and click on the image in the left panel to view in a map as to the location where it was taken.  (SAMPLE VIEW)


<>Download a Port Arthur Guide Here!<>

The Guard Tower 1835

The Asylum

Junior Medical Officer’s House, Port Arthur Penal Settlement


The Penitentiarty

Lime Kiln & The Master Shipwrights House at the Dockyard

Isle of the Dead, Carnarvon Bay, Port Arthur

Isle of the Dead is a small Island adjacent to Port Arthur, Tasmania, Australia. The isle is historically significant as it retains: an Aboriginal coastal shell midden; one of the first recorded sea level benchmarks and one of the few preserved Australian convict period burial grounds.

Isle of the Dead forms part of the Port Arthur Historic Site. This site is part of Australian Convict Sites and is listed as a World Heritage Property, as it represents convictism in the time of British colonisation.

The Penitentiary

Price’s Kiln, Port Arthur

Built on land purchased in 1886 following the closure of the Port Arthur Penal Settlement by an English potter from Staffordshire, James Price. Following the death of Price, the kiln was used by local fisherman as storage until it in part collapsed. In 1982, it was fully restored but has never been put to use due to the fragility of the historic bricks.