A Prisoner Of War camp was established just south of Dwellingup at a place called Marrinup, in July 1943 during World War II. It was to house prisoners of war after an agreement was reached with the British to house of prisoners in Western Australia. The prisoners provided labour on farms and for cutting timber. The Marrinup camp was able to house up to 1,200 prisoners and commenced operations in August 1943. German and Italian prisoners were kept in different parts of the compound. The camp ceased operations in August 1946.
We took a walk about the site which has very little left today. It is now nothing more today but a clearing in the forest and some foundations where buildings once stood. Each year, more and more of the area is being reclaimed by the bush.