Continuing the collection of old images of the early mining days in the northern goldfields of Western Australia, mainly the old Sons of Gwalia Mine at Leonora but also many of other surrounding places.
The Underground Access – Sons of Gwalia Mine
Horse Rider is Les Willey, with the Owner Bill Biggs Circa 1940s
“Dick & Mary” in Mine Manager’s House Swimming Pool
Mine Manager’s House Swimming Pool
Mine Manager’s House
It was much later named after Herbert Hoover the first future president of America who was the first mine manager. It was completed after he left Leonora and never lived here.
Sons of Gwalia Mine Headframe
The Sons of Gwalia Mine – Late 1950s
The Gwalia State School 1948
School Master’s House 1948
Aerial View of the Public Pool, Gwalia
This was reputedly the first public swimming pool in Western Australia. It also doubled as a fire fighting water supply for the mine.
Aerial View of the Gwalia Open Cut
Early Days of the Open Cut
Gwalia Methodist School Picnic 1919
Groups of Sons of Gwalia Employees
“Italian Motor Racing Cyclists” 1932
Gwalia Heaframe Beyond a New Pit
“Gum Creek”, Lawlers.
Prospectors left Cue in the Murchison Goldfields and found gold at what is now Lawlers in 1892. Lawlers is about 160 km (100 miles) north of Leonora
Scenes from Great Western Mine, Wilson’s Patch
Wilson’s Patch was about 70 Km (42 miles) north of Leonora on the road to Agnew.
Outside Great Western Hotel
“Gold Dinner” – Mt Malcolm
A Group of Well Dressed Gentlemen
The 4 o’clock Shift
Fitters’ Shop 1932
Leonora Municipal Tramcar 1903
The Last Tram Run in 1915
Small Steam Engine used on the Mine
Lapsley’s Drays, Doyles Well
Jack Mahomet’s Camel-Train 1930
Inside the Gwalia Mine Manager’s House 1921
Imperial Hotel, Malcolm
Great Eastern Hotel, Lawlers 1921