Images of Mining & Life from the Past – IV


More of the collection of old images of the early mining days in the northern goldfields of Western Australia, mainly the old Sons of Gwalia Mine at Leonora but also many of other surrounding places.

See this link for a map showing Leonora and Gwalia


Leonora 1910

 

Aerial of Hoover House

 

Earlier History of the Sons of Gwalia Mine

The Gwalia mine was originally established in 1897 by Herbert Hoover, who later became the 31st President of the United States.
St Barbara restarted mining at Gwalia in 2008 and has produced more than two million ounces of gold
Mining at Gwalia is planned to reach a depth of 2,300 metres below the surface by 2031

 

Captioned: Fowler with Mr P Franchine & Mr W Allen

 

Flooding at Malcom in 1927

 

Captioned: First Motor Car – Dr Bertram Will & Bob Thompson

 

Merton’s Reward – Note the Pistol!

 

Views of Merton’s Reward

 

Mertondale Football Club

 

Butcher in Mertondale 1905

 

Menzies Volunteer Fire Brigade 1909

 

Rail Workers

 

Mine Workers

 

Mary & Doreen

 

Malcolm Townsite

 

Malcolm Hotel

 

Malcolm Brewery 1902

 

Lawlers 1929

 

Mail Runs

 

Underground Miners

 

Leonora Early Days

 

Leonora Tramway

 

Leonora Railway Station

 

Leonora State School – Opening 1908

 

Leonora State School 1910

 

Tree Planting

 

Watching the Game – Leonora Sports Ground

 

School Bus Run in front of The State Hotel, Gwalia

 

Manoeuvering a Building into Place – Leonora



Images of Mining & Life from the Past – III


Continuing the collection of old images of the early mining days in the northern goldfields of Western Australia, mainly the old Sons of Gwalia Mine at Leonora but also many of other surrounding places.

See this link for a map showing Leonora and Gwalia


The Underground Access – Sons of Gwalia Mine

 

Horse Rider is Les Willey, with the Owner Bill Biggs Circa 1940s

 

“Dick & Mary” in Mine Manager’s House Swimming Pool

 

Mine Manager’s House Swimming Pool

 

Mine Manager’s House

It was much later named after Herbert Hoover the first future president of America who was the first mine manager. It was completed after he left Leonora and never lived here.

 

Sons of Gwalia Mine Headframe

 

The Sons of Gwalia Mine – Late 1950s

 

The Gwalia State School 1948

 

School Master’s House 1948

 

Aerial View of the Public Pool, Gwalia

This was reputedly the first public swimming pool in Western Australia. It also doubled as a fire fighting water supply for the mine.

 

Aerial View of the Gwalia Open Cut

 

Early Days of the Open Cut

 

Gwalia Methodist School Picnic 1919

 

Groups of Sons of Gwalia Employees

 

“Italian Motor Racing Cyclists” 1932

 

Gwalia Heaframe Beyond a New Pit

 

Crash!

 

“Gum Creek”, Lawlers.

Prospectors left Cue in the Murchison Goldfields and found gold at what is now Lawlers in 1892. Lawlers is about 160 km (100 miles) north of Leonora

 

Scenes from Great Western Mine, Wilson’s Patch

Wilson’s Patch was about 70 Km (42 miles) north of Leonora on the road to Agnew.

 

Outside Great Western Hotel

 

“Gold Dinner” – Mt Malcolm

 

A Group of Well Dressed Gentlemen

 

The 4 o’clock Shift

 

Engineering

 

Fitters’ Shop 1932

 

Leonora Municipal Tramcar 1903

 

The Last Tram Run in 1915

 

Lawlers Hotel

 

Small Steam Engine used on the Mine

 

Lapsley’s Drays, Doyles Well

 

Jack Mahomet’s Camel-Train 1930

 

Inside the Gwalia Mine Manager’s House 1921

 

Imperial Hotel, Malcolm

 

Great Eastern Hotel, Lawlers 1921



Images of Mining & Life from the Past – II


Continuing the collection of old images of the early mining days in the northern goldfields of Western Australia, mainly the old Sons of Gwalia Mine at Leonora but also many of other surrounding places.

See this link for a map showing Leonora and Gwalia


School Class Pictures

Local Member of Parliament, Dick Burt with Mrs Conlon and her Gwalia Class

 

Flood 1937

Rail Washout – Malcolm

Malcolm lies east of Leonora towards Laverton and though there is no longer a town, there is still a rail-head. Gold was discovered here in 1895.

 

Aftermath of Fire in Town (Leonora) July 1932

 

Bulldozer – Driver “Robbie”

 

Donkeys at Work at the Mine

 

Donkey Teams Under Full Load

 

The Local Doctor’s Method of Transport

 

Kurrajong Hotel

Old mining town about 28 km (17 mile) NNW of Leonora

A Celebratory Dinner – men only by the looks.

 

Devine’s Anaconda Store at Euliminna

Eulaminna was an old township east of Leonora along the road to Laverton

Sons of Gwalia Mine Looking somewhat derelict

 

Train Derailment – Unknown Location

 

Horse Assisted Flood Crossing – Unknown Location

 

Camel Travel – Note the Woman’s Dress

 

Cobb & Co the Australian Equivalent of America’s Wells Fargo

 

Clem Hill

 

Central Hotel, Leonora

 

Carriggs Hotel, Mt Morgan

Known as “Morgans” gold was discovered here in 1896. It was located along the Old Laverton Road in between Leonora and Laverton.

 

Men and Their Camels 1911

 

Sons of Gwalia Mine, August 1913

 

Flooding at Station Creek

North of Leonora Station Creek is now the Town Water Reserve



See a more recent collection of images of Leonora & Gwalia

Images of Mining Life from the Past

Here is the beginning of a collection of old images of the early mining days in the northern goldfields of Western Australia, mainly the old Sons of Gwalia Mine at Leonora but many of other places also.

See this link for a map showing Leonora and Gwalia


Moving a 20 Ton Crankshaft

Before the 1921 Fire

 

Fire at Sons of Gwalia Mine 1921

 

1927 Buick Mail Car

 

1930 Mess Room

 

Head Frame 1948

 

Heading Underground in 1963

 

Sons of Gwalia Mine 1968

Anaconda Copper Mine Eulaminna 1900

Eulaminna was an old township east of Leonora along the road to Laverton

Rail Wash-away 1927 Floods

 

Afternoon Shift 1930

 

Allies Set 1916 Gwalia School Ball

Amongst the Wildflowers

 

Description is wrong £60,000 = $120,000 (AUD) and is today worth over $4,000,000!!

 

An Outing to Doyle’s Well, about 37 miles (60 km) north west of Leonora

Doyle’s Well Pub Ads

 

August 1913

 

Ballangarry Hotel

Balangarry is about 120 km north of Leonora near where Leinster is today

 

Bank of New South Wales Leonora in two different incarnations

 

Barnes Federal Theatre

Built in 1899 or Mr P. Barnes, an hotel owner and businessman of Leonora.

 

Cyclists at Craiggiemore Gold Mine

The old Craiggiemore Gold Mine was located in the Laverton Area

 

Gwalia Leonora Bus Service

 

Camel Drawn Plow, Gwalia

The Sign on the plough says Lynas Motors – I don’t know if there was an association with a Perth Ford Dealer of the same name.

 

Cameleer with his Camel

 

Camel Train Leonora 1930

 

Camel Train Wilsons Patch

Wilson’s Patch was about 80 km north of Leonora

Camel Trains = the top image is at the Gwalia Railway Station

 


A Day Trip to Quairading and Kokerbin (Western Australia) August 2020

All images are geotagged and hyperlinked to open full screen. To view them on a map, save the image to your hard drive and then download this FREE SOFTWARE. Install and click on the image in the left panel to view in a map as to the location where it was taken.  (SAMPLE VIEW)


A day out in the country – see here for the route followed:


Greenhills Cemetery, Quairading-York Road, Greenhills, Western Australia

Grave of Charlotte Keane, Greenhills Cemetery

Grave of William & Mary Ann McMullen, Greenhills Cemetery

Grave of George McMullen, Greenhills Cemetery

Grave of William Boyle – an Infant, Greenhills Cemetery

Grave of William George White, Greenhills Cemetery

Quairading-York Road Westwards, Greenhills Cemetery

St Andrew’s Anglican Church, Quairading-York Road, Greenhills  Built: 1912

Quairading Hotel, Heal Street, Quairading  Built: 1908

Interior of Quairading Hotel

War Memorial, Heal Street, Quairading

Tribute to Pioneers, Heal Street, Quairading

The Co-Op, Heal Street, Quairading

Intersection of Heal Street and Cubbine Road, Quairading

Railway Station, Quairading

Baggage Scales

Track – West & East

Community Centre (Rear View) Quairading

Directions, York-Merredin Road, Quairading

Commemoration Plaque, Heal Street, Quairading

(To commemorate the town’s contribution to the State’s sesquicentenary)

Former Commercial Bank of Australia Premises, Heal Street, Quairading

Premises date to 1937 – the Commercial Bank and Bank of New South Wales merged in 1982 to become Westpac Banking Corporation.

The Brass Razoo Bank, Former Commercial Bank of Australia

An old Australian saying if you haven’t got a “Brass Razoo”, means you are broke or penniless.

Shire Hall, McLennan Street, Quairading Built: 1925

The place was originally the Roads Board office. Throughout the years it has been the focus of social and cultural activities in the Quairading area. The Hall has been the venue for community and celebratory activities which include numerous balls. Dancing was enjoyed at most of the social gatherings. Wedding receptions, dinners, school concerts, cabarets, ballet, live performances, theatre, YAL (Young Australia League) concerts, and Repertory Shows also featured at the hall. Community groups have used the hall for meetings and functions. During World War Two, fundraising and welcome home dances were the main events. Pictures were always a family night out, and remained popular at the hall until the late 1960s when the drive-in theatre opened in Quairading. During the 1979 refurbishment of the hall a cache of cash was discovered in a drainpipe. It is reputed to have been Paddy Baker’s, the picture show man (later owner of the Regal theatre in Perth). The extensions to the hall in 1979 offered more opportunities for the place. The Senior Citizens have established facilities in the former Roads Board offices, and the hall, reception area and lounge are used for many social, civic and community functions.

“El Toro” – A Jordan Sprigg Sculpture, Shire Hall

Former Western Australia Bank Premises, Heal Street Built: 1926

Post Office, Jennaberring Road  Built: 1927

Rock Outcrop, Pantapin South Road, Pantapin

Windmill & Water Tank, Pantapin South Road, Pantapin

Government Well, Kokerbin Nature Reserve, Kwolyin

The well is of a dry-wall construction and is over 20 metres deep and 3 metres wide. It is believed to have been a government project to assist in the early development of the area.

Around Kokerbin Rock, Kokerbin Nature Reserve, Kwolyin

Picnic Area, Kokerbin Nature Reserve, Kwolyin

Rural Landscape, Mount Stirling Road, Mount Stirling

Granite Outcrop, Mount Stirling Road, Mount Stirling



Greece 2019 Part VII – Santorini

All images are geotagged and hyperlinked to open full screen. To view them on a map, save the image to your hard drive and then download this FREE SOFTWARE. Install and click on the image in the left panel to view in a map as to the location where it was taken.  (SAMPLE VIEW)


Locals that dropped into our villa for a visit

Breakfast

Thirasia

Manolas, Thirasia

Ferry Passing Kameni Island

Café Bar Gateway, Spiliotica Café Bar

Thirasia & Oia from Hotel Sunny Villas, Imerovigli

A War Memorial, Thira, Santorini – 1912-1922

Rusted Water Pump, Thira

South Westerly View to Finikia, Firon-Ias, Thira

Eparchiaki Odos Firon-Ias, Thira

Derelict Gate

Orthodox Church

Hillside Village

Bar to Navagio

Kameni Islands

Holiday Accommodation

Timios Stavros Chapel, Thira

Dome of Agios Nikolaos, Thira

Cliff-side Villa Gates

Villa Window

Sunset Behind Thirasia from our Villa

Blue Note



Greece 2019 Part VI – Santorini

After Athens it’s just ashort flight to the Island of Santorini where we will spend a few days.


All images are geotagged and hyperlinked to open full screen. To view them on a map, save the image to your hard drive and then download this FREE SOFTWARE. Install and click on the image in the left panel to view in a map as to the location where it was taken.  (SAMPLE VIEW)


Skaros Rock, Imerovigli, Santorini

Skaros Rock, Imerovigli, Santorini

To the left is the Island of Thirasia and on the headland to ther right is the town of Oia with the villas of Imerovigli in the foreground


Cruise Ships in the Caldera across Agios Georgios Chapel, Imerovigli

Bell Tower, Church of Panagia Malteza, Imerovigli

Bell Tower, Anastasi Orthodox Church, Imerovigli

Flaking Blue Door along the pathway between villas

Pathway between villas

Villa Steps, Sunny Villas, Imerovigli

Looking Inland From Blue Note Restaurant Bar, Imerovigli

Looking North to Oia From Blue Note Restaurant Bar, Imerovigli

Our villa is on the right

Mezzo Doorway, Imerovigli

(Restaurant / Bar – unfortunately closed when we were there.)

Kameni Islands, The Caldera across Agios Georgios Chapel, Imerovigli

Sunset Views from our villa at Sunny Villas, Imerovigli

Pathway behind Blue Note Restaurant Bar

Store Area Below the Bar

Night scenes around our villa

Entry to our villa

“Volkan” Santorini Blonde, Blue Note Restaurant Bar

First beer on the island



Greece 2019 Part V

Back to the Greek portion of our 2019 holiday where bwe contined walking around the city.


All images are geotagged and hyperlinked to open full screen. To view them on a map, save the image to your hard drive and then download this FREE SOFTWARE. Install and click on the image in the left panel to view in a map as to the location where it was taken.  (SAMPLE VIEW)


The Benizelos Mansion, Adrianou, Plaka

The Benizelou Mansion or the House of St Philothei is (surprisingly) the oldest house of Athens. Visitors can see the amazing architectural elements of a typical konaki, or urban noble house, of the 17th century. The museum is based in the heart of the historical centre of Athens. It tells the story of the Benizelou family and St Philothei or Regoula Philothei and describes the habits and the traditions of the Athenian aristocracy before the revolution against the Ottoman Empire in 1821.

Derelict Building, Adrianou, Plaka

Doors, 74th Elementary School of Athens, Adianou, Plaka

Planter, Navarchou Nikodimou, Plaka

Agias Filotheis, Plaka

The dome in the distance is The Metropolitan Church of Athens

Gates, Agias Filotheis, Plaka

Retail Arcade, Agias Filotheis, Plaka

Shop for Religious Items, Cnr Agias Filotheis & Apollonos, Plaka

This area contained several shops that seemed to specialise it selling items for the Greek Orthodox church.

Church of Virgin Mary Gorgoepekoos and Saint Eleutherius, Plateía Mitropóleos, Aérides

Metropolitan Church of Athens Evangelismos Theotokou, Square Mitropoleos, Aérides

Statue of Constantine XI Palaiologos, Square Mitropoleos

Constantine XI Dragases Palaiologos or Dragaš Palaeologus, known in later Greek folklore as the Marble Emperor, was the last Byzantine emperor, reigning from 1449 to his death in battle at the Fall of Constantinople in 1453

Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, Pl Kapnikareas, Politistikó Emporikó Kéntro

Buskers, Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, Pl Kapnikareas, Politistikó Emporikó Kéntro

Retail Arcade, Ermou, Monastiráki

Buskers, Monastiráki Square, Monastiráki

Aiolou 27, Monastiráki

Church of Saint Eirini, Aiolou, Monastiráki

Church of Agia Kyriaki, Athinas, Psyrrí

Fruit & Vege Markets, Armodiou, Psyrri

Derelict Building, Theatrou, Psyrrí

Derelict Building, Cnr Sokratous and Theatrou, Psyrrí

There are many derelict buildings such as theseeverywhere we walked.

Graffitied Shops, Sokratous, Psyrrí

The Karamanlidika of Fanis, Mezetzidiko, Socrates (Restaurant), Sokratous, Psyrrí

Miran Pastourma, Evripidou, Psyrrí

Miran Pastourma is a famed pastourma and sujuk charcuterie business and market in Athens, Greece. The market has been in operation since 1922. It is considered the charcuterie of the connoisseurs.

Fotsi Spices, Evripodou, Psyrrí

Shop Doorway, Evbripidou, Psyrrí

Graffitied Pillars, Cosmote Department Store, Athinas

Hotel Cecil, Athinas, Psyrrí

Trezos Ribbons, Cnr Pallados and Kalamida, Psyrrí

This absolutely disgusting level of graffiti is a commopn sight everywhere we went in Athens

Graffitied Doorway, Athinas 33, Psyrrí

Clothing Retailer, Athinas, Psyrrí

Flea Market, Monastiráki

Monastiráki Square, Monastiráki

From the front of our hotel (360 Degrees Hotel)

The Parthenon, Acropolis

From our table at the rooftop bar 360 Degrees Hotel


Dowerin & Goomalling, July 2020

Another drive into the country for lunch in the wheatbelt town of Dowerin and a stop at Goomalling on the return to Perth.


All images are geotagged and hyperlinked to open full screen. To view them on a map, save the image to your hard drive and then download this FREE SOFTWARE. Install and click on the image in the left panel to view in a map as to the location where it was taken.  (SAMPLE VIEW)


(view from the pub balcony)


Commercial Hotel, Stewart Street, Dowerin, Western Australia

“Benbullen”, 18 Stewart Street, Dowerin

Post Office, Stewart Street, Dowerin c.1913

National Australia Bank, Stewart Street, Dowerin

Views of Stewart Street, Dowerin

Brush Screen, Stewart Street, Dowerin


Freemasons Hall, Goldfields Road, Dowerin

Sculpture, Stewart Street, Dowerin

I believe it is supposed to represent a stalk of wheat?

Railway Derrick, Stewart Street, Dowerin

Picnic Seating, Railway Reserve, Stewart Street, Dowerin

War Memorial, RSL Centenary Park, Goldfields Road, Dowerin

Road Board Office, Stewart Street, Dowerin, c.1924

The Dowerin Road Board came into existence following the split from nearby Goomalling in about 1912. The land was purchased in 1923 for £500 and the building opened the following year.

These offices were used by the Dowerin Road Board and, later, the Dowerin Shire Council for a period of 44 years. By 1966 the increase in staff necessitated by population growth and additional administrative responsibilities, meant that the old building no longer had adequate space. Plans were ordered for a new administrative building which was opened in April 1968.

Original Commercial Bank of Australia Premises, Stewart Street, Dowerin c.1911

The block of land was purchased by Commercial Bank of Australia Ltd. on 24 June 1909 and a branch opened the same year. The Dowerin branch of the Commercial Bank first occupied a three roomed weatherboard building. During the latter half of 1910, N. Peterson of Subiaco won the contract to erect new brick offices for the bank and commenced work in October of that year. Bank officers moved into their new premises at the end of February 1911.

On October 1, 1982, The Bank of New South Wales and CBA became Westpac Banking Corporation.

Old Buildings, Stewart Street, Dowerin

Grey Nomads, Dowerin

Vintage Advertising, Railway Terrace, Goomalling

Road Board Building, Railway Terrace, Goomalling

The building housed the local Road Board from 1907 – 1967.

War Memorial Hall, Cnr Quinland and Hoddy Streets, Goomalling

A Mechanics Institute was erected at this site min 1911 but was demolished and this Memorial Hall was erected in 1922.

Main Street – Railway Terrace, Goomalling

Goomalling Tavern, Railway Terrace, Goomalling

Goomalling Farmers Club, Cnr Quinlan and Forrests Streets, Goomalling c.1912

Socially significant. The club was constructed to fulfil the need for socialisation and interaction of farmers in the area to help exchange ideas and solutions to problems. Structurally & architecturally significant of the era.

Former Union Bank of Australia and Quarters, Railway Terrace, Goomalling, c.1925

Quite a history behind the Union Bank. Formed in 1837 and operated until 1951 when it merged Zealand Bank Limited- Now the Australia and New Zealand Banking Group, commonly known as the ANZ.

Alley, Railway Terrace, Goomalling

Agricultural Relic, Millsteed Memorial Garden, Cnr Quinlan and Hoddy Streets, Goomalling

The Memorial garden commemorates Terence Millsteed who was a member of the Goomalling Roads Board, a councillor on the Goomalling Shire Council and Shire President from 1940 to 1975.

Possum Sculpture, Railway Terrace, Goomalling

Post Office, Railway Terrace, Goomalling, Western Australia

Abandoned Farm House, Goomalling-Toodyay Road, Jennacubbine


Woodbridge/Guildford, Perth, Western Australia July 2020

Afternoon coffee at the “Riverside at Woodbridge” and then to Barkers Bridge over the Swan River at Guildford.


All images are geotagged and hyperlinked to open full screen. To view them on a map, save the image to your hard drive and then download this FREE SOFTWARE. Install and click on the image in the left panel to view in a map as to the location where it was taken.  (SAMPLE VIEW)


“Woodbridge”, Ford Street, Woodbridge, Western Australia c.1885

Captain James Stirling took up land here in 1829, the same year the Swan River Colony was settled. He named his property ‘Woodbridge’ as it reminded him of the area around the home of his wife’s family in Surrey, England. Stirling had a small cottage built but spent little time there. At the end of his term as Governor in 1839, Stirling left the colony and leased the property to various tenants.

Charles Harper married Fanny de Burgh in 1879 and the following year took up a lease at Woodbridge. In 1883 land was purchased and the Harpers began the construction of a large family home. Two years later, Charles, Fanny, their three sons and one daughter moved into the completed house.

Jetty on the Swan River below “Woodbridge”

Fields around “Woodbridge”

Barkers Bridge, Swan River, Guildford, Perth, Western Australia

Riverside, Barkers Bridge, Swan River, Guildford, Perth, Western Australia