We leave Barcelona and drive to Zaragoza, the capital of Spain’s Aragon Region.
Las Arenas, Plaça Espanya, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
It opened on June 29, 1900, and its last bullfight was held on June 19, 1977. The building was reopened in 2011 as a shopping mall named Arenas de Barcelona.
The first news of the convent dates from 1235, but the works begin in 1245, taking advantage of a donation of land by King James I. The royal donations followed during the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, from the reign of Alfonso the Liberal to the of Peter the Ceremony. In the late 15th century, after the destruction of the convent due to the. civil war de Joan II was asked for help from Pope Alexander XVI, the Roderic Valencian of Borja. The pope attended to the request for help and of this was the master builder Joan Smurfet. With the confiscation of 1835, the convent passed into private hands and became a cotton factory and later a farm.
Iglesia de Santo Tomás de Aquino, Avenida de César Augusto, Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain
This sculpture was a gift to the city by Benito Mussolini
Torre de San Francisco de Borja, Basílica de Nuestra Señora del Pilar, Paseo de Echegaray y Caballero, Zaragoza, Aragon, SpainDoorways, Basílica de Nuestra Señora del Pilar, Paseo de Echegaray y Caballero, Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain
Construction of the basilica was begun in 1680
Pillars of Lions, Puente de Piedra, Paseo de Echegaray y Caballero, Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain
Also known as “The Bridge of Lions” since 1991 when four lions were placed on the pillars at each end of the bridge.
Cross in memory of Basilio Boggiero, Santiago de Sas and the Baron de Warsage, Puente de Piedra, River Ebro, Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain
Cross in Memory of those Killed during the War of Independence – erected in 1908 on the centenary. Also known as Cruiz Basilio – Basil’s Cross
Walkway, Puente de Piedra (Stone Bridge) River Ebro, Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain
Puente de Hierro – Iron Bridge
Puente de Nuestra Señora del Pilar – Bridge of Our Lady of the Pillar
Torreon de la Zuda, Avenida de César Augusto, Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain
Formerly part of the ancient palace of The Zuda, a Muslim fortress.
Completed in 1725
This was transferred stone by stone from the demolition of the Sora house, which was located in the area where Calle de San Vicente de Paúl was opened.