We have now reached Granada in Andalusia, the location of the famous Alhambra.
Diputación Provincial De Ciudad Real – Provincial Government of Cuidad Real
Built between 1889-1893.
Oficina de Correos – Post Office
Viewed from the balcony of our accommodation
This laneway which is inaccessible by vehicles is the access to where we stayed in Granada.
Hotel Casa Morisca, Cuesta de la Victoria, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
The hotel is set in a 15th century Moorish house.
Father Manjón 1846-1923 was the founder of the Ave Maria Schools. This walk was built in 1609 and was called Paseo de la Puerta de Guadix, referring to the same door located at the end of the walk, which led to this town. The fountain that occupies the center of this open space was also built in the same year.
Although its official name is currently Paseo del Father Manjón,for the aforementioned reason, from the 19th century it began to be called Walk of the Sad,so nicknamed for being the place traveled by funeral courtships in the direction of the San José cemetery, located behind La Alhambra, on the hill called Sabika.
Ruins Along Rio Darro, Paseo del Padre Manjón, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Doorway, Oro del Darro Suites, Calle Carrera del Darro, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Stone Staircase, Museo Arqueológico y Etnológico de Granada, Casa de Castril, Carrera del Darro, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Bell Tower of Iglesia de San Pedro y San Pabl & Alhambra Tower from Museo Arqueológico y Etnológico de Granada, Casa de Castril, Carrera del Darro, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Shuttered Window, Museo Arqueológico y Etnológico de Granada, Casa de Castril, Carrera del Darro, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Ruins of Puente del Cadí, Calle Carrera del Darro, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
The Albaicin (a district of Granada) was directly connected to the Alhambra by a fortified bridge called Puente del Cadí – the “bridge of the judge”. All that is left of it today is the stump of a tower on the left bank and part of its single arch. It was built by the Moors in 1055.
Restaurant Sign, MinoTauro, Calle Carrera del Darro, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
The Alhambra at Night, Calle Valenzuela, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Arco de San Juan de los Reyes, Calle de San Juan de los Reyes, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Arco de San Juan de los Reyes – Arch of Saint John of the Kings
Statue, “Chorrojumo” (King of the Gypsies- Mariano Fernandez), Camino del Sacromonte, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Mariano Fernández Santiago, was born in 1824, known as “Chorrojumo”, he was one of the most significant characters in Granada in the 19th century
The nickname, the result of the contraction of “smoke jet”, came from his trade as a blacksmith.
Carmen De Bellavista, Paseo del Generalife, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Waterfall, Paseo del Generalife, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
This is along the path leading to the entrance gate to The Alhambra
Sign, Alhambra, Torre de los Carros, Paseo del Generalife, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Cañones Franceses, Calle Real de la Alhambra, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Part of the armaments installed by the French when occupying the site in 1811 – they departed soon after in 1812
Puerta de la Justicia, Calle Real de la Alhambra, Alhambra, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Built in 1348
Ossobuco Ristorante, Calle Carrera del Darro, Granada, Andalusia, Spain
Castillo Almonacid de Toledo, Almonacid, Toledo, Castile-La Mancha, Spain
This castle was not far from Toledo on the outskirts of the town of Almonacid. The first documentary reference on this castle dates from 848 and is of origin Muslim, when it served as a strategic point of surveillance of an old road to La Mancha. In the 11th century became the property of Alfonso VI de León as part of the dowry his wife Zaida and daughter of the Moorish king. Later, in December 1086, it was donated by Alfonso VI to the Cathedral of Santa María de Toledo, being reformed in the 14th century by mandate of the archbishop of Toledo Pedro Tenorio. It was then used as a prison for. Alfonso Enriquez, Earl of Gijón and of Noreña and son bastard of Enrique II of Castilla, imprisoned by order of his brother Juan I of Castilla. In the 18th century it became part of the properties of the counts of Mora and in 1809 it served as a refuge for the troops of the General Venegas in the fight against French in the Almonacid battle, although in vain, then finally, the castle was conquered by the French troops. In 1839 the municipality's town hall, faced with the economic needs that existed, allowed the residents to take bricks from the fortress to put them up for sale, which meant a great deterioration of the structure.
We took the tourist bus to see Toledo and then drove to some outlying areas.
Capilla de la Estación de Tren de Toledo, Paseo de la Rosa, Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain (Train station chapel)
Puente de Alcántara, River Tagus, Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain Built in the 3rd century by the Romans
Ruinas del Convento de Dominicos de San Pablo del Granadal, Avenida de Castilla-La Mancha, Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
Alcázar de Toledo, Calle de la Union, Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain Alcázar is a stone fortress located in the upper part of Toledo, Spain. Formerly used as a Roman palace in the 13th century, it was restored under Charles I and his son Philip II of Spain in the 1640s. Now it is a wonderful military-historical museum.
Puerta de Bisagra, Calle Real del Arrabal, Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain Constructed in the 10th century, in the time of the Moorish Taifa of Toledo in Islamic Al-Andalus. It is also called ‘Bisagra Antigua’ to distinguish it from the Puerta de Bisagra Nueva which was built in 1559. The gate was the main entrance to the city and dates from the Moorish period.
Hostal Restaurante Asiático Agripino, Plaza Madrid, Mora, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain A Chinese restaurant in Spain
Bell Tower, Parroquia de Santa María de Altagracia, Plaza Constitución, Mora, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
Spanish Civil War Memorial, Parroquia de Santa María de Altagracia, Plaza Castilla-La Mancha, Mora, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
Church Doorway, Parroquia de Santa María de Altagracia, Plaza Castilla-La Mancha, Mora, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
Avenue, Glorieta de Eusebio Méndez, Calle General Fernández Medrano. Mora, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
After Zaragoza we headed to Madrid but the place was an absolure nightmare so we proceeded to Toledo instead.
Autovia Mudéjar Viaduct, Carretera de Alicante a Francia por Zaragoza, Paniza, Aragón, Spain
The Puerta Baja is one of the most imposing monumental entrances in the entire country. Great in the entire extension of the term, it has huge towers flanking a vast arch of unequaled width and that makes sense to give way to the waters of storms that periodically hover over the city.
The Gate was originally, perhaps in the 13th century, a simple arch defended by a tower. In the fourteenth century the entrance was modified, raising a simple tower with pointed openings (it is the inner half of the tower on the left seen from inside the enclosure).
In the XV century, around 1451, the two towers that flank the arch were erected; in a case, the left tower, adding a body to the existing one, in the one in the tower on the right, always seen from the inside, building it on a new floor; the two towers were crowned with staggered merlons. At this time the central body of the door was modified, opening a gallery of arches. Already in the 16th century the access arch was lowered and the imperial shield of Carlos V was placed
It was rehabilitated between 1987 and 1988 by the Daroca Workshop School to locate the Darocenses Studies Center.
Built in 1638 to enhance the town gate.
The castle was inhabited uninterruptedly from the 12th century to the mid-19th century.It originated as a Moorish fortress (10th-11th century), built over a pre-existing Celtiberian castle. The fortress was used as residence of the lords of the taifa of Molina. El Cid resided here when he was exiled from Castile. In 1129 it was conquered from the Moors by Alfonso I of Aragon.
Parque de La Vega, Calle Cardenal Tavera, Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
The park dates to medieval times and has always been used for all kinds of social events, including mass prayers.
The traditional rersidence and warehouse for the park guardian. Built in late 19th century.
A musician and composer
The longest river on the Iberian Peninsula at over 1000 km
Constructed in the 10th century, in the time of the Moorish Taifa of Toledo in Islamic Al-Andalus. It is also called ‘Bisagra Antigua’ to distinguish it from the Puerta de Bisagra Nueva which was built in 1559. The gate was the main entrance to the city and dates from the Moorish period.
Old City Walls, Calle de Alfonso VI, Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
aka; Parroquia de Santiago el Mayor
Santiago del Arrabal is a church in Toledo, Spain, built in 1245–48, at the orders of Sancho II, on the site of an earlier building, possibly a mosque.Many characteristics of Islamic architecture, such as the horseshoe arch, have remained in the present building which is built in the Mudéjar style.
Puerta del Sol, Calle Carretas, Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
Built in the late 14th century by the Knights Hospitaller.
Diputación Provincial de Toledo, Subida de la Granja, Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
Diputación Provincial de Toledo – Provincial Council of Toledo
We leave Barcelona and drive to Zaragoza, the capital of Spain’s Aragon Region.
Las Arenas, Plaça Espanya, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
It opened on June 29, 1900, and its last bullfight was held on June 19, 1977. The building was reopened in 2011 as a shopping mall named Arenas de Barcelona.
The first news of the convent dates from 1235, but the works begin in 1245, taking advantage of a donation of land by King James I. The royal donations followed during the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, from the reign of Alfonso the Liberal to the of Peter the Ceremony. In the late 15th century, after the destruction of the convent due to the. civil war de Joan II was asked for help from Pope Alexander XVI, the Roderic Valencian of Borja. The pope attended to the request for help and of this was the master builder Joan Smurfet. With the confiscation of 1835, the convent passed into private hands and became a cotton factory and later a farm.
Iglesia de Santo Tomás de Aquino, Avenida de César Augusto, Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain
This sculpture was a gift to the city by Benito Mussolini
Torre de San Francisco de Borja, Basílica de Nuestra Señora del Pilar, Paseo de Echegaray y Caballero, Zaragoza, Aragon, SpainDoorways, Basílica de Nuestra Señora del Pilar, Paseo de Echegaray y Caballero, Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain
Construction of the basilica was begun in 1680
Pillars of Lions, Puente de Piedra, Paseo de Echegaray y Caballero, Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain
Also known as “The Bridge of Lions” since 1991 when four lions were placed on the pillars at each end of the bridge.
Cross in memory of Basilio Boggiero, Santiago de Sas and the Baron de Warsage, Puente de Piedra, River Ebro, Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain
Cross in Memory of those Killed during the War of Independence – erected in 1908 on the centenary. Also known as Cruiz Basilio – Basil’s Cross
Walkway, Puente de Piedra (Stone Bridge) River Ebro, Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain
Puente de Hierro – Iron Bridge
Puente de Nuestra Señora del Pilar – Bridge of Our Lady of the Pillar
Torreon de la Zuda, Avenida de César Augusto, Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain
Formerly part of the ancient palace of The Zuda, a Muslim fortress.
Completed in 1725
This was transferred stone by stone from the demolition of the Sora house, which was located in the area where Calle de San Vicente de Paúl was opened.